Levi's Vintage Clothing

They are certainly causing some lively debate that's for sure. It is definitely the fact that they are far from ordinary that appealed to me. I may be sadly disappointed when they arrive, they may be unwearable.

I think, however, that they could end up being one of those LVC creations that people will have a soft spot for eventually. Sometimes the experimental is a little out of touch but gets remembered with fondness years after the fact.

Then again, they could just be a butt ugly pair of jeans.

they could end up being one of those LVC creations that people will have a soft spot for eventually. Sometimes the experimental is a little out of touch but gets remembered with fondness years after the fact.

Then again, they could just be a butt ugly pair of jeans.

All of the above could well be true. They are hardly an everyday piece of wear. But when everyone else just produces variants on the 5-pocket jean, I commend them! As we've seen, they face a lot of resistance from conservative retailers.

Levi's definitely deserves respect for thinking outside the box. They have put out so many great creations through LVC. I'll admit that my criticism stems from disappointment that they don't seem to look more like what was in the original patent (granted, this is just a line drawing, so who knows how they really fit).

OR2Ei.jpg

I wouldn't say that they are modeled after dress trousers, as they seemed to be rather full fitting as well. As far as I understand, pantaloons were roomier in the seat to be comfortable in the saddle, with slim legs to fit inside of riding boots. Still, if the 1800's LVCs were not as popular, I think these will be even less so.

I could have sworn I had seen other patent images, Paul, but I couldn't find them. Too bad I loaned my book to a friend :|

Why do you always come off as taking any critique of LVC personally? zissou was just stating he didn't like what he was seeing there. If you posted pix of you wearing your jeans and he said "they look like shit" then you could get huffy.

I agree, they're styled more like a dress pant of that day, and it's not really fair to compare them to work pants.

So these are a fictional garment? I thought they were a reproduction of a trouser your might find a shop keeper or other city worker wearing in the late 1800.....

And I was saying that thats the way they fit me. Just like in the photo. If you don't like them don't buy'm. I could care less either way. They may or were probably not ever produced. I'm not one to dress up and pose for the camera. Just not my deal. They fit me and look just like what Dejan has on his site plus again all the variables that go into how it fits one in regards to how it will fit someone else. It could look great on A and not on B. If you like a trim high waisted probably fictional jean, buy'm. If not, don't.

LVC+PAT6.jpg

From vintageengineerboots blog.

I had a lovely pair of packages waiting for me when I got to the PO today- way to go PaulT and Royal Mail! Fastes ship[ment I've ever gotten via them- are they on their best behaviour for some reason?

Amongst they goodies are the Balloon pant prototypes, thank you again Paul. They're beautiful, and I can post some setterman and afusmc distracting photos of them this evening.

Any day now the Supertrash folks are going to discover the last few pages of this thread and have a field day of hatred about it. Should be pretty fun to watch.

i went & had a look

i don't tend to stray out of denim much.

i haven't been encouraged to spread my wings... :D

Skinny legs - big butt - what were those 1878 designers thinking of?

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but based on your photos of the early production model, I was expecting something more like the trousers in the 1873 patent drawing. I now realize I was wrong, and apologize if my disappointment has ruffled some feathers...

5840729403_f9dbd717c1_b.jpg

5840729961_1e41f3054c_b.jpg

5841277976_c24c5b9a33_o.jpg

5841278214_e22e1b3141_o.jpg

5840729483_25f3a78874_o.jpg

5840729785_f05ed5d4b5_o.jpg

5841278384_f891054e8f_o.jpg

5841278134_bc7c8c3090_o.jpg

5840729333_42fbc58faf_o.jpg

These look like they were washed and pressed, maybe for the Look Book photos. The denim is very smooth, not hairy at all, with a slight shine almost like new chambray, and seems pretty light weight (probably < 10oz). They're a brighter blue than any other LVC I have, but that could be at least partially due to the washing process.

They are incredibly high-waisted and reach to just over my navel. Legs are cut very full, more so even than the '20s 201.

They waist is perfect, but the cuff needs to come up a couple of inches.

Too bad none of the retailers picked this up, it's really beautiful. I can see them not being a big seller given the full cut & high-waisted '20s style, but these seem to me to be no more eccentric a cut than the pantaloons, probably less.

Once again, thank you PaulT. You've made my month (at least).

Roy i have several pairs of vintage chinos both military and civilian. the styling is quite similar right down to the high waisted cut; except these are made of denim. i think these could have easily worked in the line and would make an excellent utility garment. there is nothing outlandish or attention grabbing about these. just a good piece of basic wardrobe.

5841278384_f891054e8f_o.jpg

So glad these arrived safe, and they look as if they'll fit, I was a bit worried about the leg length. TOday i'm wearing the striped shirt - my new fave, for definite - in celebration.

i think we're now just waiting for min2max's chinos to arrive in Paris.

believe me i've been preying on the mailman everyday, i already regret not going for speedier delivery as i am off on a trip tonight… anyways those balloon pants are incredible, i've been drooling over those since the look book, so pissed lvc canned them but at least someone here got a pair, looking forward to fit pics as well..

I'm I the only one that thinks grown men swapping photos of how their butts look in jeans on a web site just a little weird (LOL)

If you are looking for style or how nice your butt looks in pre 1940s LVCs unless you seriously undersizing them its probably not the best place to be looking for that. These early Levis were for the most part work cloths and meant to be such not fashion statements. I'm a guy that loves wearing my 209 coveralls and my 1911 333s and I usually I wear'm raw for months and months till I can't stand them so that how good does my butt look fit is not what its all about for me and if its for you probably the pre 1940s LVCs are not fgoing to be the right fit.