Levi's Vintage Clothing

Will have to check that out in my lunch hour one day this week. Cool stuff.

Levis-Sculpture-by-Ian-McChesney.jpeg

Screen%20shot%202011-05-13%20at%20AM%2011_44_55.png

"To celebrate the launch of Levi's new 'WaterLess' denim - an eco-friendly collection that requires less water to wash - architect and sculptor Ian McChesney has created a funnel of sorts made entirely out of Levi's jeans. Located at Regent Street in London, the floor-to-ceiling sculpture is situated inside Levi's flagship store. " — streething

http://www.mcchesney.co.uk/

I just saw a pair of the super-sized retail display redline 501s at a men's store in downtown Charleston, SC. I asked if they would let them go, but they were well aware of their value. They were flanked by two of the long cartoon cowboy cardboard displays.

I wish I had taken my camera.

Re a discussion about the poor quality of the clasp on the LVC buckle backs recently:

King*Stink's altered the buckle on a pair of 1915's I bought from him with a bicycle spoke. It works perfectly! I am going to try a similar thing on my 1890's and '17's this weekend and will post pics!

My impression is it's going well, some of their recent figures were the highest in years, reportedly. I've also heard grumblings about pricing - to which I guess the response is the cheaper, Turkish-sewn, rough rinse models.

More crucially, Maurizio sounds to have been promoted and is spending much more time in San Francisco, so it seems the big bods liked the way he's run the Amsterdam operation. But I don't know if he's still hands-on with XX or not - ie, I don't know if he's now moved closer to the main board in order to represent XX as a more integral part of Levi's, or whether he's taken on more responsibilities in addition to XX.

(If any Levi's staff are reading this, feel free to correct me via PM or email if I'm wrong).

Can anyone speak to the quality of the new(ish) Made in USA redtab stuff?

I've been looking at it some, but don't know if its worth it considering LVC is only costs a little bit more.

You might want to also ask in the 501 STF thread, since I think a few over there had picked the new ones up.

I was nearby to the Levi's store here in portland yesterday and took a five minute walk through. It's a small one that doesn't stock LVC, but they stock all the new cheap selvage models they're doing and frankly the denim on them looked a lot less interesting than the denim of many of their non-selvage pairs, which were also half the price.

Just eyeing the selvage models briefly my impression was that if you've ever owned another pair of decent denim you'll be pretty disappointed with them.

Guest rusholmeruffian

I wish I'd stocked up on Valencia St. LVC when it was going at £24.99 a pop at TK Tatt.

This was in 2000, about the same time Levi's were taking Tescos to Court for selling the bog-standard 501's for £40.

No disrespect to Turkish manufacture, but I do not see any connection between Levis' heritage and jeans made over there.

I wish I'd stocked up on Valencia St. LVC when it was going at £24.99 a pop at TK Tatt.

This was in 2000, about the same time Levi's were taking Tescos to Court for selling the bog-standard 501's for £40.

No disrespect to Turkish manufacture, but I do not see any connection between Levis' heritage and jeans made over there.

i'll totally agree with that. if made in Turkey is levis way of offering a lower price they'll have to figure out something else to get my business. if i had to budget i would rather buy used made in USA/STF than pre-washed Turkish.

My impression is it's going well, some of their recent figures were the highest in years, reportedly. I've also heard grumblings about pricing - to which I guess the response is the cheaper, Turkish-sewn, rough rinse models.

More crucially, Maurizio sounds to have been promoted and is spending much more time in San Francisco, so it seems the big bods liked the way he's run the Amsterdam operation. But I don't know if he's still hands-on with XX or not - ie, I don't know if he's now moved closer to the main board in order to represent XX as a more integral part of Levi's, or whether he's taken on more responsibilities in addition to XX.

(If any Levi's staff are reading this, feel free to correct me via PM or email if I'm wrong).

I sawMaurizio at the Levi's in Malibu. He's very hands on with the XX especially LVC. Seems like when he wants to get stuff done he does. On top of it he's a super nice guy. Also saw him at inspiration. Met miles johnson as well who is Design Director Levi's XX and an extremely nice and knowledgeable person as well.

Guest rusholmeruffian

I suppose if you buy lvc as a fashion item you don't care where it is made. However, I thought the whole point of lvc was to provide a product approaching the quality of Japanese repros with the added heritage of being made by Levis in the US.

This guy has a load of washed LVC for sale. If anyone speaks italian and can work out the sizes he has for sale from how he's auctioning them please share as there are a few I fancy.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LUCA-INNOCENTI/_i.html?_fsub=7

Didn't realize LVC had so many washes! Some are subtle and I like them. Some, like the 1890 "Death Valley", are horrible!

LVC's are appealing to me because they're made in the USA. I definitely wouldn't buy these if they were made overseas, no matter what country or how superior the quality was. I have nothing against overseas products but my jeans are one thing I want made here.

Was at the Levi's Union Square yesterday. Apparently the 1915 will be discontinued this fall. The type 2 jacket will be part of this fall.

bad news followed by good news. the 1915 kicked so much ass. oh well, lisve fast die young.