Levi's Vintage Clothing

A blog entry for a Nashville store which is going top carry LVC- there are pictures of a few 2010SS items, including the new leather jacket, which looks every bit as dire as someone around here promised:

http://www.imogeneandwillie.com/blog.html

apologies if it's already been posted.

Not sure about a shirt that says "Y'All"..

i have two pairs -- both new. the 34s were 36 presoak, the 36s 38 presoak. if i remember correctly, i got about 3" of shrinkage or so.

Question on sizing for the latest run of '55's.

I'm going to order from the Farinelli's website, but I was confused about the actual measurements they show on the website. I'm a true 32 waist so I figured I should go with a tagged 34 waist as per most people's recommendation.

It says that the tagged 34 waist actually measures 36". Will I really get 4 inches of shrinkage in the waist? Should I get the size 32 (which measures 34") to account for 2-3 inches of shrinkage then an inch or so of stretch?

Thanks.

Hey Doc, my zxx are labeled as having been made in Feb. 1998. They are stamped 555 and have a YKK zipper.

I wasn't familiar with this model when I found this pair, so I looked it up on sufu. The conversation I found had this model as being a repro of Levi's first sanforized jean from the early '60s (63?). Does that sound right?

Cheers for that Roy,

yeah that's correct - Interesting to see your's have a YKK zipper. My current wearers are from June 1996 and have a small fiddly zip (and rnrswitch claims his is a talon), so that's three types of zipper, all of which are not authentic.

The 551Zxx is the predecessor to the 505. It started with the 501Zxx in '54(leather patch version, very rare) then paper patch 501Zxx 'till 1962, when the renamed 551Zxx was launched (to coincide with the 557XX jacket). Although IMHO the patch on the Lvc model is incorrect, as I believe the wording "every garment guaranteed" disappeared in '64. The 551 changed when they stopped putting XX on their jeans, and became the 505 in 1966. The zipper would have originally been a Gripper zipper (apart from the 1954 501Zxx, which sometimes had a Conmar type)

Love the denim on this Lvc model, one of the nicest from the old factory, with a heavy weight 14oz denim which if washed hot WILL shrink quite a bit, apparently. Mine have hit the washer once in thier lifetime. Will try and take some pics over the weekend.

Thanks for the Lynn Downey interview link. Something that has always baffled me now makes sense. I was always curious why the "Yuma Indian" pictured in Paul's book and elsewhere seems to have two waistbands: because he does. He's wearing waist overalls over his regular pants. I think I'll start wearing my Knappaves over my dress pants. It could be a whole new trend in authentic historical dressing.

I think that native american indian in the photo has a Union-suit (long- johns) on under his Levis waist overalls(?)

Erk, Airfrog and Paul

I 100% agree with you guys on the details on the 1915's and '17's (and dont forget the 1927's).

Always thought the 1901 pockets/arcs looked better, although the buckle strap isn't that functional.

@Happy Hooligan,

shame I cant rep you again for that observation -

Always wondered about the miners' leaving thier jeans in the mine, then goin bare-arsed back home. What would the wife say? lol

I'm new to the Levi's....if i asked a stupid questions, don't flame me.....thanks....

I'm looking for a pair of raw 1947 501xx(the one everyone here have)....I have seen many different kinds of 1947 501xx......also what is the difference between made in Japan and made in USA quality wise?

Is this the one i should go for?

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e98517663

Thanks for the time guys.:)

The 551Zxx is the predecessor to the 505. It started with the 501Zxx in '54(leather patch version, very rare) then paper patch 501Zxx 'till 1962, when the renamed 551Zxx was launched (to coincide with the 557XX jacket).

Thanks, doc.

Does the cut of the 551 Zxx differ much from the '60s 501 repros?

Thanks, doc.

From my experience the 551 is a of a mix between the 501 '55 and '66, which makes sense, as the 551 is between the two years. But it is a bit closer to the '66 though, if you really have to compare the models.

My 551 doesn't have a Talon zipper unfortunately. They have a no-name zipper that is kinda flimsy.

A blog entry for a Nashville store which is going top carry LVC- there are pictures of a few 2010SS items, including the new leather jacket, which looks every bit as dire as someone around here promised:

http://www.imogeneandwillie.com/blog.html

apologies if it's already been posted.

This place is in my backyard. Willing to proxy if needed.

Thanks, doc.

Sorry Roy, never had a pair of the Lvc '66's as IMO the pocket arcs are too flat. I think the 66's have a boxier top block, but you're probably better off looking at Pauls visual guide, or ask Erk or one of the other more knowledgable chaps here.

Those 551Z's are awesome mind!

Wearing two pairs of pants into the mine would make some sense. It's cold at four or five in the morning when you went to work, and often colder in the upper levels of the mine, but as you went lower down, and as you were working, it got very hot. You needed to layer without getting down to your skivvies. As to why folks would leave their jeans in the mine... not everyone lived through their shift.

I bet 100 years from now, collectors will be holding up antique business suits saying they found this sport jacket in an old abandoned office building under an office desk....

From my experience the 551 is a of a mix between the 501 '55 and '66, which makes sense, as the 551 is between the two years. But it is a bit closer to the '66 though, if you really have to compare the models.

My 551 doesn't have a Talon zipper unfortunately. They have a no-name zipper that is kinda flimsy.

Thanks! .

Anyone know the Price of these looking to pick up

Just so happens I just stopped into Unionmade in SF and they had their new batch of LVC in, including that jacket. It was $900 something, I think. It runs a size large- I usually wear a medium and the small fit me quite comfortably.

They also had the rusty Bay Meadows T, the sunset shirt, and 1915s, '47s, '66s and an interesting destroyed & repaired '33.

What season are they from?

I was lucky enough to go along to a buying session at the London LVC HQ for A/w 2010 and those items weren't featured. Guess they must be spring summer?

That t-shirt is lovely.

Anyone know the Price of these looking to pick up?

_TEP1472.jpg

_TEP1464-1.jpg

Just so happens I just stopped into Unionmade in SF and they had their new batch of LVC in, including that jacket. It was $900 something, I think. It runs a size large- I usually wear a medium and the small fit me quite comfortably.

They also had the rusty Bay Meadows T, the sunset shirt, and 1915s, '47s, '66s and an interesting destroyed & repaired '33.

Thank you for that info!

I called over to the store and asked about some available sizes and what was in stock. The person I spoke to said that also have some old original Levi's Jackets that aren't LVC which sounded interesting. Hopefully I will make it into the city tomorrow even though I already know they don't have the 1915 size I was looking for I'd still like to look at everything.

Love my 1955s, just sayin

I think in time, they're becoming the faves over the 1947. Size down and they can be about as slim; the stitching is more attractive and the denim is nicer, too, especially over the first 6 months.

There's something about the way they look after just one wash that's perfect for me; I love the smokiness of the colour - also, they're pretty inditinguishable from originals I've had side by side with them.

1955bum.jpg

1955croponewash.jpg

1955 after one wash

And for comparison's sake, the original 60s 502 I had for a while:

bum.jpg

I think in time, they're becoming the faves over the 1947. Size down and they can be about as slim; the stitching is more attractive and the denim is nicer, too, especially over the first 6 months.

There's something about the way they look after just one wash that's perfect for me; I love the smokiness of the colour - also, they're pretty inditinguishable from originals I've had side by side with them.

And, compared to the 47s, the 55s won't interfere with your ability to sire children in the future.

1955bum.jpg

1955croponewash.jpg

1955 after one wash

And for comparison's sake, the original 60s 502 I had for a while:

bum.jpg

That's why I'd love LVC or XX or whatever their called now to in addition to the authentic re-issues make some cool stuff where they combine some details across the timeline. Nothing outrageous but '83 is the end of the line for repro's unless they want to re-issue 1985 acid wash or a historic recreation of the original 1987 550 (that's the original Dad jean, right? Relaxed up top and tapered beneath the knee and pre faded to a glorious serene, suburban perfection?) so I think they need to a modern "no compromise" selvedge jean they can call the 2010 somewhere down the road.

Is their a good post on sufu or anywhere else that describes the 502's and other lesser known variations such as the 501-0117 sort of stuff?

Anyone got a NWT pair of 1955's in tagged 30X36 and willing to sell to me? pm me plz.. farinelli and cultizm are out of stock :(

lvc usa doesnt make 30x36 (in almost 100%)

http://www.e-levi.jp/shop/mens/501XX+1955+Model/item/view/shop_product_id/866/category_id/21

lvc japan 30x36