Levi's Vintage Clothing

THey;re fine as long as they're sized right. My 1901 are maybe an inch oversize, they hang low on the hips, sagged I guess. I wear them in the summer with a T-shirt or closed-top jumper and they look and feel fine; they'd be even better if the cinch works, I need to buy one of the ones that airfrog linked to (AFAIK the 30s buckles are fine).

The same with my 1890s. But my '1st blue jean' were about an inch and a half over, cinch was rubbish, they felt and looked ridiculous, so I got rid.

FWIW, I think the 1901 have the best, most versatile shape of the early ones (I'm sure the 15 and 17 are as good) altho I did notice the Clerk's looked slightly skinnier than mine, maybe he downsized?

hey heech - I got your nattie indigo 1873s today, SO CRISPY!

Randomly I also happened to get a pair of the synthetic indigo 555 1873s on ebay for about $100 two weeks ago, so maybe tonight I will take some photos of the newly reunited brothers.

Please do these! (and I love your Hawaiis btw)

Only just noticed Dr Heech's stash photographed from a week or so back; lovely. Dr, do show us pics of the washed 1915 201.

Please do these! (and I love your Hawaiis btw)

Only just noticed Dr Heech's stash photographed from a week or so back; lovely. Dr, do show us pics of the washed 1915 201.

Thanks Paul,

did put up some pix a quite a few pages back, but they weren't very good (poor lighting/camera shake) - will try and Take better shots and will post them on the 201 2002 vs 2007 thread.

The denim seems like natural indigo, but I need an expert opinion.

Some nice details and the distressed finish isnt too bad either.

I've got a question for those with LVC 501 models that are pre-belt loop models.

how do you get along with out a belt? is it a pain? I'm not really trying to wear suspenders all the time so I'm wondering if the lack of belt-loops is a noticeable inconvenience. I know the clerk has been wearin the 1901s and paul T as well, and a few have the 1915s and 1917s...so whats your opinion?

i thought the belt loops would be a serious issue, but i forgot about it almost immediately. sized true.

my real problem is the lack of a left rear pocket. occasionally, i reach back to put something in a pocket that isn't there, i'm going to lose something one of these days.

My 1901's are fine without a belt. I guess I sized down on them as my 33's and 47's are both a 32 and the 01's are a 30. However the 33's and 47's both have room to breath in the waist so I'd say I'm really a 31... at least would be if they all came in a 31. Should add that I never wore a belt with the 33's either and as Paul said they just sit a little lower on your waist

I've got a question for those with LVC 501 models that are pre-belt loop models.

how do you get along with out a belt? is it a pain? I'm not really trying to wear suspenders all the time so I'm wondering if the lack of belt-loops is a noticeable inconvenience. I know the clerk has been wearin the 1901s and paul T as well, and a few have the 1915s and 1917s...so whats your opinion?

DO you mean measured size?

I dont have size measurements for the '15; I would either get actual size, or size up by one, but ignore the number on the tag which is pathetically unreliable. I would personally tend to sizing up by one - I prefer the fit of my 1901, sized up one or two, to my 1890, actual size, it just suits the jean better - the 37 suits downsizing more.

I must go in to Cinch and get actual sizes for the 15 i guess. I'm just worried about renewed jeans-purchasing lust.

DO you mean measured size?

I dont have size measurements for the '15; I would either get actual size, or size up by one, but ignore the number on the tag which is pathetically unreliable. I would personally tend to sizing up by one - I prefer the fit of my 1901, sized up one or two, to my 1890, actual size, it just suits the jean better - the 37 suits downsizing more.

I must go in to Cinch and get actual sizes for the 15 i guess. I'm just worried about renewed jeans-purchasing lust.

I was referring to tagged size so, the 33/36 would be 35/36(according to users here and cultizm). Most of my jeans end up measuring around 34.5-35 after stretching and soaking, so figured I'd go with that.

I was referring to tagged size so, the 33/36 would be 35/36(according to users here and cultizm). Most of my jeans end up measuring around 34.5-35 after stretching and soaking, so figured I'd go with that.

My 1915 is a 32/36. Before soaking, it measured 17" across laid flat and 35.5" measured BiG style. The length was 36.5". After a soak the waist fit is pretty similar to my one soak 34/36 1937s marked SE 07 (Spring 2007 I assume). Both are a little loose on me. I'm using the cinch on the 1915. I don't think it shrank too much, but can't remember what sort of soak I did. It definitely stretched back a little. I usually aim for about a 35" waist measured BiG style when all is said and done (depending on the cut of course).

My 1915 is a 32/36. Before soaking, it measured 17" across laid flat and 35.5" measured BiG style. The length was 36.5". After a soak the waist fit is pretty similar to my one soak 34/36 1937s marked SE 07 (Spring 2007 I assume). Both are a little loose on me. I'm using the cinch on the 1915. I don't think it shrank too much, but can't remember what sort of soak I did. It definitely stretched back a little. I usually aim for about a 35" waist measured BiG style when all is said and done (depending on the cut of course).

wow, I guess I should get a 32/36 then. thanks for the measurement.

wow, I guess I should get a 32/36 then. thanks for the measurement.

Erk-You probably know this, but the buckle on the cinch doesn't work on the 1915 (unless it has been modified since the first production). I replaced it with one from River Junction. The denim is great though. I think Airfrog said it was the best on any LVC he had ever seen. It's very different from any other Cone LVC denim I have seen.

Just found a note about the soak I did on the 1915s. I did a three hour room temperature soak and then wore them until almost dry. That may be why they didn't shrink much. There definitely was some shrinkage, but they did stretch too. In the beginning, I didn't need to use the cinch. I have been progressively hiking up on the cinch. They are now a little over 35" in the waist measured BiG style.

when did they stop putting selvedge in the coin pocket in Levis?

I found a pair at a thrift store yesterday, Little e's but selvedge seams, metal inside rivets but no selvedge in the coin pocket. They thought they were worth a billion so I didn't buy them, but they were a nice size 36x31.

when did they stop putting selvedge in the coin pocket in Levis?

I found a pair at a thrift store yesterday, Little e's but selvedge seams, metal inside rivets but no selvedge in the coin pocket. They thought they were worth a billion so I didn't buy them, but they were a nice size 36x31.

HH

I think the redline in the coin pocket disappeared around 1957/8. I have always wondered why that was (.. as they still used the edge of the cloth.)

But if they have a little 'e' then they must be post '71 levis 501.

HH

I think the redline in the coin pocket disappeared around 1957/8. I have always wondered why that was (.. as they still used the edge of the cloth.)

But if they have a little 'e' then they must be post '71 levis 501.

I had a Big E pair bar tacked back pockets and it had it in the coin pocket. so it must be a Little "e" thing. post 71...

I had a Big E pair bar tacked back pockets and it had it in the coin pocket. so it must be a Little "e" thing. post 71...

HH

Not necessarily, as I have had two pairs of early sixties big E 501xx, one pair with hidden rivets, one pair without, but both with no selvedge in the coin pocket.

My Lvc 551zxx have no selvedge in the coin pocket too.

All the info I have points to late fifties, but I'm open to debate !

.:)

Not really LVC, but I thought better to ask here than in Small Questions.

I bought a pair of Levis 541 in 2000 from a little shop in Brick Lane called Mendoza. They aren't selvage but were bought raw STF and have one back pocket with exposed rivets and a cinch and are a vintage-style, fairly high-rise cut. They don't state where they were made on the inside label.

Anyone have any information on these jeans? I only wear them for painting and decorating in now.

I'll post some pics when I set up one of those image hosting account things.

the 541s are common red tab jeans,from the european market nothing special, but nice yes... there also was two pocket cinchback version called 561...

watch out:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Levi-541-32x32-one-back-pocket-rare_W0QQitemZ160380974360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMen_s_Clothes?hash=item2557737518

From memory, coin pocket selvage disappeared in the late 50s, probably when Dr H said, but made a brief reappearance in the late 60s jeans, around 67-69. But it's late, so don't quote me on this.

thanks for the tidbit, cause i was wondering why my 66xx denime's didn't have the coinpocket selvage. i guess it's more accurate.

Following all the fuss about 201's last week, I thought that a look at my brothers 201'a might be of interest. I bought them for him in December 07 and I can assure you they're genuine ... at least that's unless Libertys in London's been selling fakes. They're a size 32 32. Not sure how many times he's washed them... not many

201_front.jpg

201_back.jpg