Levi's Vintage Clothing

Yet another sizing question. I've been reading this thread but have missed some pages and searched but didn't find the info.

Does anybody know what the inseam shrinkage is on the 2009 1947? I need to end up with a 33x32 so I was planning on getting a 34x34. A lot of accounts I've read said that the 47 inseam shrinks 2.5-3" but those were all past years models. Just wondering if this is also the case with this years? Thanks.

It usually ends up at two inches shrinkage.

I haven't been on Superfuture in what feels like a year but I was just wondering where people were still buying LVC stuff? I'm specifically looking for a repro trucker jacket like the Type I. Preferrably an American edition one? I know cultizm has a couple but they're Euro edition and the unlined one isn't available in my size. I live in the SF area too but they no longer seem to have an LVC or a Capital E section anymore.

I haven't been on Superfuture in what feels like a year but I was just wondering where people were still buying LVC stuff? I'm specifically looking for a repro trucker jacket like the Type I. Preferrably an American edition one? I know cultizm has a couple but they're Euro edition and the unlined one isn't available in my size. I live in the SF area too but they no longer seem to have an LVC or a Capital E section anymore.

The 506xx (type 1) is still made in the States, as far as I know, lined or unlined. If you want an earlier Valencia street 555 model, then Ebay has 'em now and again, or keep your eye on 'supermarket'. :)

The 506xx (type 1) is still made in the States, as far as I know, lined or unlined. If you want an earlier Valencia street 555 model, then Ebay has 'em now and again, or keep your eye on 'supermarket'. :)

Cool, thanks. Are there any online stores that have them or stores that have them in stock? I'm not necessarily looking for Valencia models as I'm sure that'll cost a pretty penny.

Guest jbone45

These are my 1937's after about 30 wears. I soaked in warm water once when I got them. I haven't been really wearing them lately..they're a tad too slim.

2hi3yvs.jpg

nd0r2a.jpg

Also, I put my 1915's up on Ebay...check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-Vintage-LVC-1915-501-Raw-BNWT-Big-E-U-S-A-Made_W0QQitemZ320450012855QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c4f26b7

thanks or the info Dr...

and thanks Air... I wish I could actually wear them... Just my luck I finally find a nice pair of Big E's and they're too big! I'll probably use what make from them put towards either a pair of of the 15's or 27's or a pair of semi dress from whites...

The 1915s are much nicer than the 27s. How much you want for them?

The 1915s are much nicer than the 27s. How much you want for them?

I'm not sure, I haven't sold a pair a big E's in a larger size before. All the other ones I've found are usually quite small. I don't know what originals like this one is going for.

One side note, I forgot that old denim has that "old denim" smell... I like that smell....

So i've been wearing some 1947 501's for about 2 years now. No wash, no soak, haven't done anything to them except for wearing them off and on the last 2 years. I have finally decided to wash them, but was just wondering what would be the best way to do this? I don't want to shrink them because they are already pretty fit. Should I just do a cold soak or machine wash them in cold water and hang dry them? Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

You are stuck dry cleaning those babies. Even a cold soak (I assume when you said no soak, that you did nothing to shrink these before wearing) would render them very tight. If you did shrink them, then a cold wash by hand with Dr. Bronners. Go with peppermint, it smells great.

Edit: Post some pics.

So i've been wearing some 1947 501's for about 2 years now. No wash, no soak, haven't done anything to them except for wearing them off and on the last 2 years. I have finally decided to wash them, but was just wondering what would be the best way to do this? I don't want to shrink them because they are already pretty fit. Should I just do a cold soak or machine wash them in cold water and hang dry them? Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

they are gonna shrink if you get water on them no matter what. the only things you can control are : how long, how hard, and how hot/cold. so, that being said I suggest you hand wash them in the coldest water you can muster for as short as possible. definitely hang dry them.

you can also just soak them in water with detergent. if you want to do that just depends on how clean you want them to be. if you never really wash them they're never really gonna get clean.

edit: like cash said, dry cleaning might be your best option if they already fit you. and yes, post some pics. we love pictures.

I would follow Paul T's advice then spin dry. This gets rid of lots of soap which remains in the wet jeans even after a rinse. Soap attracts dirt once it dries in the fabric, so you want to get remove as much as possible. After the spin, I would put them on and wear them until they are dry. This will prevent most of the shrinkage where it counts but not in the length of course.

If you do the "Shrink to Fit" method, they won't shrink past the point of no return. Yes, it's a bit extreme, but if you climb in a tub of hot water, they'll shrink around you and you should be fine. My 47's only lost a little length, and tightened a little when I did this. Wear them when they're damp as they dry and all will be well. Now post some fit pics or gtfo. ;-)

Just wondering if any resident LVC experts might be able to draw any conclusions about a pair of unknown jeans from the label info?

Some guy selling his jeans doesn't seem to be able to answer any of my questions, but he gave me the codes from the label. They mean nothing to me but I was hoping someone might know which cut they are from this:

501 0003 MADE IN USA 555 58635-4 1097 WPL423 0212co 11

These are repros but he says he bought them ages ago and can't recall anything about them!?

Any clues would be most appreciated before I decide whether to pull the trigger on these.

Cheers,

Luke

Just wondering if any resident LVC experts might be able to draw any conclusions about a pair of unknown jeans from the label info?

Some guy selling his jeans doesn't seem to be able to answer any of my questions, but he gave me the codes from the label. They mean nothing to me but I was hoping someone might know which cut they are from this:

501 0003 MADE IN USA 555 58635-4 1097 WPL423 0212co 11

This doesn't have the repro year code (ie 47501 or 55501) , so we can only guess the model number from these.

555 means they were made at the old factory on Valencia St; the only clue is 1097, late 1997, whichwould mean it's one of the first reissues - either the first Capital E reissue, which was a generic erissue with fatures from different years, or more likely the first 501 reissue which was issued alongside the '201.' I believe that was a 55, I'm on the wrong computer so I can't check my notes, Dr Heech, can you remember?

I know there was a 1955 in 98, but it's possible there was also a 47 in 97.

In short, I guess it's a 55, or else a 47 - so ask him if the patch is leather or paper. If they're the first 501 reissue, as opposed the the Cpaital E, they have a slight premium value - some people are willing to pay over the odds for the Valencia St jeans, if they come with tags, and the fabric on these early jeans is attractive and hairy.

Needless to say, we need a photo.

As to worth, cultizm have been selling new 555 for around $200, I think? (Check with the Cultizm competition thread). Electrum here saw someone asking $400 for a rare-ish pair of 201, whcih I think is way overpriced (I got mine for $150). If they're worn or soaked, unl;ess they have amazing fades, I woulnd't pay more than $50-$70 myself, others might differ.

555 means they were made at the old factory on Valencia St; the only clue is 1097, late 1997, whichwould mean it's one of the first reissues - either the first Capital E reissue, which was a generic erissue with fatures from different years, or more likely the first 501 reissue which was issued alongside the '201.' I believe that was a 55.

Thanks a lot Paul, that's very interesting.

I had got as far as realizing that 1097 referred to the date, so these are pretty old!?

The one crappy pic (which I don't have right now) shows the jeans folded in half, back pocket facing and turnup at leg to show selvage (which looks to be white with no apparent red listing - but the photo is fairly bleached by too much flash). The tag is paper, has 'Every garment guaranteed' & Lot 501xx, the pockets have arcuate and hidden rivets like my 55s. No other discernable features.

Seller claims that he's had them from new and that they are unworn (no tags), and they look fairly dark indigo to me, but probably no longer raw as they've shrunk considerably from tag size.

Thanks again for the excellent info & detective work!

Cheers,

Luke

Yup, they're 55. Pomata on this board found a stash and sold them to various posters, including me - look around and you'll see Leonard Leroy modelling a pair, looking very fetching. Once soaked, they're worth less. obviously. Good luck, and post pix when you get them/find them.

Cheers for the clarification - will look out for those Leonard Leroy pics!

Hmmm, I aready own a newish pair of 55s: is there any truth to the myth that early Valencia St lvc denim is significantly better than later lvc?

Anyways, I suppose you can't have too much of a good thing...

Some people think it's better - could simply be that's it's aged more, and looks more vintage. The later models had more "specific" denim, designed for each year, like 47 (grainy, a looser weave), 55 (blue-er, denser and maybe fluffier) and 66 (more slubby, after Cone introduced a new spinning technique).

That earlier denim is nice though - very hairy, and it seems to age well. Most of the attraction is really just he nostaliga/heritage one, that it was made in a 100-year old historic factory, as opposed to contracted out.

Phil Marineai, the exec who was on a massive salary and closed the factory, has since left Levi's. Like many people do, who parachute in, destroy their brand heritage, then push off again - like the people who closed the Newcastle Brown Ale brewery in Newcastle, so they could make it in Yorkshire!

Now, that's it for the day.. gotta do some work...

Cheers for the clarification - will look out for those Leonard Leroy pics!

Hmmm, I aready own a newish pair of 55s: is there any truth to the myth that early Valencia St lvc denim is significantly better than later lvc?

Anyways, I suppose you can't have too much of a good thing...

I definitely prefer the 555 denim to the newer Cone fabrics. It is darker and unsinged, which gives it a great vintage character. The denim on the newer LVC jeans just seems sterile when compared to the denim on the 555s and the best Japanese repros.

The initial launch of LVC in 1997 only had the 3 models - the 1937 201XX, 1955 501, and the 1962 551ZXX. I believe the 1947 was only launched in the UK anyway, in March 1999 (I remember going to American Classics to try them on when they first came out and being shocked at how much I had to size up!)

The initial launch of LVC in 1997 only had the 3 models - the 1937 201XX, 1955 501, and the 1962 551ZXX. I believe the 1947 was only launched in the UK anyway, in March 1999 (I remember going to American Classics to try them on when they first came out and being shocked at how much I had to size up!)

1997??

I have a least two models from 1996, the earliest one I have is 06/96.

Will try and dig 'em out.