Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Hello, I initially bought a raw size 29 and it looked like I was wearing yoga pants. The photos you see me posting every once in a while are a raw 31. However the waist stretched out all the way to 34" (partly due to me riding my bike when I did my first hot soak). So as of now, the 31's are baggy as hell and I need my belt to hold them up. If I could do it all over again I would get a size 30. My true waist is around 29" but 30" would be the comfortable fit for me.

Stukovx, gilang, if you guys are reading this thread. How did you size the XX-007? After vgadjo's post I'm doubting... 28 or 29. The thighs on the 28's are the same as my Momo's and might stretch a bit after they fully shrank.

Don't know about the waist though. I want them to fit slim. I doubt the waist will stretch 3 inches from fully shrinking, haha.

157cj0l.jpg

Allright, PBJ XX-007 presoak. Crappy mirror shot and too long inseams. Some room left in the waist area and about bit less than an inch in the upper thighs right now. Yay or nay?

By the way, I like fitted jeans.

Edit: In b4, dude you are skinny! Yeah, I know.

Edited by M1stral

I've been trying to resist being 'that guy' but I'd appreciate some help from guys who know PBJs really well. 

I got a pair of xx-013 in 29OW earlier this week, and they are skintight from the top thigh to the bottom of my calf. They were initially tough to button up but the waist feels like it has a ton of give. I usually take a 29 in pants (3sixteen ST-100x 29, Rogue Territory Stanton 28), and I steered away from sizing up because I read that PBJs often stretch past the original waist measure. And of course, being a dumbass, I also had these hemmed. 

So I guess I need advice for how to proceed. I see my options as this:

-keep, and pray for stretch throughout the leg (very hesitant as I don't want to contort them horribly)

-try 29 raw and soak more gently

-try 30 raw

-xx-003 (fits I have seen are very unappealing, a fit like this is much more desirable)

-xx-005  in 29 raw + aftermarket tapering (seems like my thighs might be in a vice grip if they really shrank to 10.5)

-samurai s710vx or another slightly more conservative cut from a different brand with similar denim properties

My ideal final measurements are waist 31", thigh 11", knee 7.5", hem 6.75". I'm no powerlifter but my calves don't agree with a 7" knee. 

they'll stretch back to raw measurements bro. i bought a xx011 in a 30 and the thigh stretched back to raw measurements they now measures 11.5 ( now for sale ) and my xx005 size 29 shrunk to about 10.75 in the thigh and now stretched to 11.25. you could buy the raw version and soak it yourself or just wear them and stretch em out.

Thanks no.28. Especially after reading the SF thread I figured one wash = fewer headaches, but I'm not really convinced of that anymore. Probably would have been good to see the initial fit. 

Mostly I didn't want to get awful knee bags and not be able to sell them either, but it sounds like they should be okay if I'm careful. Any idea how much time wearing I can expect before they no longer look like jeggings?

wear them hard for about a week and you'll feel the difference. im on my 2nd week wearing the xx005, at first i thought i sized wrong again cuz they were nut crushers man no joke but i wore em everyday, slept in em and hit the gym with em and now they're comfortable as fuck.

I've been trying to resist being 'that guy' but I'd appreciate some help from guys who know PBJs really well. 

I got a pair of xx-013 in 29OW earlier this week, and they are skintight from the top thigh to the bottom of my calf. They were initially tough to button up but the waist feels like it has a ton of give. I usually take a 29 in pants (3sixteen ST-100x 29, Rogue Territory Stanton 28), and I steered away from sizing up because I read that PBJs often stretch past the original waist measure. And of course, being a dumbass, I also had these hemmed. 

So I guess I need advice for how to proceed. I see my options as this:

-keep, and pray for stretch throughout the leg (very hesitant as I don't want to contort them horribly)

-try 29 raw and soak more gently

-try 30 raw

-xx-003 (fits I have seen are very unappealing, a fit like this is much more desirable)

-xx-005  in 29 raw + aftermarket tapering (seems like my thighs might be in a vice grip if they really shrank to 10.5)

-samurai s710vx or another slightly more conservative cut from a different brand with similar denim properties

My ideal final measurements are waist 31", thigh 11", knee 7.5", hem 6.75". I'm no powerlifter but my calves don't agree with a 7" knee.

If you're like me, you probably won't wear them if you're not happy with the fit. I'd echo the(^) advice to wear then for an entire week to see if they'll stretch to a point that you are comfortable with. This will also give you a chance to get used to seeing yourself in the new-type fit. After that, if you're still iffy on the fit then cut your losses and sell 'em on the marketplace.

I would dissuade you from buying the same fit but in raw. Raw PBJ's and Sam's are a level of dedication that you might not be willing to try right now. That is, they'll rip up your thighs and caves for two weeks straight before they start to become comfortable. Sanforized Iron Heart or Cone denim is much more comfortable from the start.

Re 710's: a great fit that most ppl are happy with. That's why they are so popular. That being said, they are more of a slim-straight fit. From the pic in your post you are looking for a slim fit. I'd suggest the IH301S (not the 23oz and not raw). The hem and knee are going to be fuller and the selvedge sanforized denim is a great quality transitional denim.

Mostly I didn't want to get awful knee bags and not be able to sell them either, but it sounds like they should be okay if I'm careful. Any idea how much time wearing I can expect before they no longer look like jeggings?

The fit is not going to drastically change, esp after a few weeks of everyday wear. Also, wearing for a few weeks is not going to stop anyone from buying. If resolved to selling, your list price should be attractive for buyers. Given slight wear and hem, I'd suggest around 40% off list at Blue in Green (if you're in the states). Don't think of it as a loss. The valuable knowledge that you will have gained, regarding sizing, is going to make future purchases more predictable.

Edited by Al6ert

Btw, shameless plug ... getting rid of the spare 007s. I'll put em up once I get a chance to take pix

new-ish pair will be up @marketplace once i get the measurements done_ both are tagged W33

orng.jpg

5ah5.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Re: xx-013s OW that were too small:  I wore them nonstop for a couple days, but was very discouraged by the tightness around the lower thigh/knee/upper calf (couldn't really bend my legs, which just seemed silly). I sold them along for about 70% what I paid. So back to square one. 

My ideal final measurements are-- waist: 31", thigh: 10.75-11", rise: 10"/13", knee: 7.5" (critical measure for me, can't do any less because of my calves). My measured inseam is just 30", so I will probably hem to about 32". The xx-013s fit fine in the waist after a couple wears, bit snug in the upper thigh, unbearable from the lower thigh down. I measured the knee at about 7.1"

Gordon suggested a 31 onewash in the xx-013 but I was very hesitant about the waist. On the other hand, the 30 onewash isn't recorded as being any wider in the knee as the 29 onewash, so I'm wondering if I would end up with similarly tight jeans that are also too loose in the top block. Right now I'm wondering if my best plan would be the xx-005 in a 30 onewash that I could have tapered later, to account for my small inseam and large-ish calves. 

And again, this is close too an ideal fit for me -- enough room in the thigh, just right in the seat. 

Special thanks for Al6ert for the advice. The IHs looked very nice, but I'm sort of hankering for slub right now -- I could see heavyweight in the future.

Re: xx-013s OW that were too small:  I wore them nonstop for a couple days, but was very discouraged by the tightness around the lower thigh/knee/upper calf (couldn't really bend my legs, which just seemed silly). I sold them along for about 70% what I paid. So back to square one. 

My ideal final measurements are-- waist: 31", thigh: 10.75-11", rise: 10"/13", knee: 7.5" (critical measure for me, can't do any less because of my calves). My measured inseam is just 30", so I will probably hem to about 32". The xx-013s fit fine in the waist after a couple wears, bit snug in the upper thigh, unbearable from the lower thigh down. I measured the knee at about 7.1"

Gordon suggested a 31 onewash in the xx-013 but I was very hesitant about the waist. On the other hand, the 30 onewash isn't recorded as being any wider in the knee as the 29 onewash, so I'm wondering if I would end up with similarly tight jeans that are also too loose in the top block. Right now I'm wondering if my best plan would be the xx-005 in a 30 onewash that I could have tapered later, to account for my small inseam and large-ish calves. 

And again, this is close too an ideal fit for me -- enough room in the thigh, just right in the seat. 

Special thanks for Al6ert for the advice. The IHs looked very nice, but I'm sort of hankering for slub right now -- I could see heavyweight in the future.

Don't agree with Gordon on this one. Waist is the first measurement that I look at. Because most denim will stretch 1-1.5" in the waist, you'll (typically) want to be one size smaller there. If the waist on the 29 OW was spot on, I would abandon the xx-013 all together. 

Comparing your ideal fit (measurments) with what BiG has in stock, I'd suggest the Fullcount 1109XX in 29 (Raw/OW), Skull Jeans S5010XX 6X6 in 29 (OW), and PBJ XX-005 in 29 (Raw/OW) -> not 30.

Also, Check out the Flat Head F310 in Size 29 (Here). Shoot Self Edge an email if you want the knee & back rise measurements. They'll get right back to you.

I have stayed away from buying the PBJ 011 and 013 fits altogether even though i am intrigued by the denim because the knee measurements are tiny compared to other slim tapered cuts. I do have somewhat bigger calves, but on slim tapered cuts with the thigh and waist measurements being what they are on PBJ cuts i have never seen such small knee dimensions. Almost little taper from knee to leg opening. Feel like i have read people with the same issue here too.

I have stayed away from buying the PBJ 011 and 013 fits altogether even though i am intrigued by the denim because the knee measurements are tiny compared to other slim tapered cuts. I do have somewhat bigger calves, but on slim tapered cuts with the thigh and waist measurements being what they are on PBJ cuts i have never seen such small knee dimensions. Almost little taper from knee to leg opening. Feel like i have read people with the same issue here too.

It's a correct observation. As soon as you try the x13 or x11 you feel the taper around the knee. However, as you say, the taper does not continue from knee to leg opening so it's a great slim fit. In the lighter denim configurations this knee taper is much more manageable than the measurements suggest.

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

Any recommendation in which pair of PBJ i should get? I'm retiring Sams and was wondering if PBJ is a good choice after Sams. Should I also choose between Flathead and Iron heart or is PBJ good too. If so, please recommend some popular cuts and unique fades

I own PBJ, IH, and Samurai jeans, and they're all great. PBJ is closer to Samurai than IH is, IH is generally a much smoother, softer, and less slubby denim, but you won't find a better quality pair of jeans. PBJ is known for having slimmer thighs, so be careful with that. If you're going for unique fades, I'd look at the xx-007 or the similar model with the cobalt weft (not sure of the model #).

I own PBJ, IH, and Samurai jeans, and they're all great. PBJ is closer to Samurai than IH is, IH is generally a much smoother, softer, and less slubby denim, but you won't find a better quality pair of jeans. PBJ is known for having slimmer thighs, so be careful with that. If you're going for unique fades, I'd look at the xx-007 or the similar model with the cobalt weft (not sure of the model #).

What would you recommend between those? Samurai and then pbj? I know they have the best qualiyy