Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Hey guys, I'm looking for a fit like this:

IMG_6434.jpg

These are 1947 501xx, which I'm having a very hard time finding.  (in my size)

So I've been on the lookout for another high quality denim to achieve this look, and it seems PBJ is a good choice.

I am leaning towards the 005 cut in 31 waist.  I will be wearing these jeans with western boots like the picture, (usually Frye Harness).  I want the leg stacking, so I will probably not have the jeans hemmed.  I am 6'3" with long legs, so hopefully the ~35 inseam will provide me with some stacks.

Any agreement/recommendations? 

Hey guys, I'm looking for a fit like this:

These are 1947 501xx, which I'm having a very hard time finding.  (in my size)

So I've been on the lookout for another high quality denim to achieve this look, and it seems PBJ is a good choice.

I am leaning towards the 005 cut in 31 waist.  I will be wearing these jeans with western boots like the picture, (usually Frye Harness).  I want the leg stacking, so I will probably not have the jeans hemmed.  I am 6'3" with long legs, so hopefully the ~35 inseam will provide me with some stacks.

Any agreement/recommendations?

The X005 is an ideal cut to wear with boots. The 35" post soak inseam will still allow a little stacking with your height. Check the thigh measurements as well in the 31 you choose to make sure that works.

Danny, thanks for the advice.  (cool store name, btw)

In the interest of keeping the inseam as long as possible, I'm considering getting the RAW and soaking them cold. (I'm making an assumption that BIG does a hot soak with their "one wash")

By doing this and minimizing shrinkage, perhaps I could keep the inseam around 36"?  

The downside would be that the other measurements would still be loose, so my plan is to size from 31 down to 30.

BIG's website doesn't show a big change from 31 to 30 (like in the thigh for instance), so as long as I don't hot soak, the jeans shouldn't be too tight.

In the interest of keeping the inseam as long as possible, I'm considering getting the RAW and soaking them cold. (I'm making an assumption that BIG does a hot soak with their "one wash")

By doing this and minimizing shrinkage, perhaps I could keep the inseam around 36"?  

The downside would be that the other measurements would still be loose, so my plan is to size from 31 down to 30.

BIG's website doesn't show a big change from 31 to 30 (like in the thigh for instance), so as long as I don't hot soak, the jeans shouldn't be too tight.

I think the cold soak will have a minimal effect. What you can do is stretch out the inseam when damp.

BIG's one wash models are just that, a pair of jeans that has been washed once by the company. The wash treatment is aggressive compared to a hand soak.

I'm looking at the PBJ - 24-007 Deep Indigo 24oz at BiG, but have not had any experience with unsanforized denim, heavy denim, or PBJ's at all.

My current pair of raws is Raleigh Original Thins in tag size 34. I just measured the waist to be ~36.75" and the thighs to be ~12.5". Ideally I'd have a bit more room in the top block (specifically around my hip bones) on my next pair. I'm 6'0" and ~205lbs if that helps at all.

The size 36 raw that appears to be in stock look like they might be a good candidate, but I'm not sure how much shrinkage I should actually expect if I only did a cold or possibly warm soak.

Do you think those would turn out well or should I go a different route? 

Edited by Segovia

Segovia,

I'm new to all of this, but from what I've read, you can achieve very minimal shrinking with a cold soak.  If you want more, you can do a hot soak or even possibly put them in the dryer for maximum shrinking.

Word seems to be that PBJs can stretch quite a bit, especially in the waist, but not so much in the thighs.

Yes they definitely shrink more. It's not like the denim notices "oh I have been soaked with cold water, the wearer don't want me to shrink anymore".

The denim will shrink with any future soak/wash. Hot agitated washes in a machine will shrink them faster to their endpoint. If you only ever handwash them in cold water, they might never reach the endpoint but will still shrink

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Looking at the one-wash measurements (vs the Raw) for the 24-007, the only measurement that would need to stretch ~1-1.5" would be the waist. Everything else looks to be about perfect (very slightly small) for what I'm looking for.

Is it reasonable to expect the Raw version to stabilize at about a 36.5" waist? Like I said, I have no experience with either heavy denim, or unsanforized denim.

Just for reference, here are the waist and thigh measurements from BiG for the 24-007 in tag size 36. I'm looking for about 36.5-36.75" waist and ~13" thighs.

Raw - 37.5, 13.5

One Wash - 35.5, 12.75

*For the record, I did email BiG with these questions a few days ago but haven't received a response. 

Edited by Segovia

I get confused with Pure Blue, Real Japan Blues and Blue Blue Japan. Are they the same brand?

No, they are three different brands.

Pure Blue Japan (discussed in this topic)

Real Japan Blues (division of Flathead I believe)

Japan Blue (makes Japan Blue and Momotaro)

Edited by M1stral

Yes they definitely shrink more. It's not like the denim notices "oh I have been soaked with cold water, the wearer don't want me to shrink anymore".

The denim will shrink with any future soak/wash. Hot agitated washes in a machine will shrink them faster to their endpoint. If you only ever handwash them in cold water, they might never reach the endpoint but will still shrink

But is there any downside to "never reaching the endpoint" of shrinking?

If every subsequent wash/soak (even washing machine) is cold, then you shouldn't have to worry about the fading pattern changing. 

(because there will be very little shrinkage from one cold soak to another)

Now, if you only cold washed for the first year, and then accidently put in in hot water, I could see problems...

EDIT:  I'm surprised there aren't more threads/measurements from people who do exclusively cold soaks.  I'd love to know what kind of shrinkage will happen, and to what part of the jeans.

Edited by JFetter

I went ahead and ordered the 24-007 in 36 raw from BiG on Thursday afternoon. Surprisingly they arrived this morning already. Very impressed with both BiG and the USPS haha.

I tried them on before soaking, and was pretty confident that a room temperature water soak would leave them just about perfect.

Here the measurements from before and after the soak and drying (they're still a tiny bit damp, but I'd say these measurements will remain accurate). 

These are Before / After

Waist - 37.75 / 36.25

Front Rise- 11.5 / 11

Thigh - 13 / 12.5

Knee - 9.5 / 9

Opening - 10 / 9.5

Inseam - 38.75 / 36.5

They ended up pretty much exactly where I wanted them to. I'm trying to track down a local place to get them hemmed, otherwise I'll be sending them back to BiG to get it taken care of in a week or so.

Anybody know which type would fit me - i tried on the xx007 the other day, the size 30's waist is about an inch too big, but the thigh area is skin tight already. I should fit a size 29 waist, however i dont think the thigh would fit me. Is there other models with slightly roomier but still tapered legs?