ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

A little Hungry Hungy Hippo match with the little one. He lets me win sometimes.

002900x675.jpg

Then I washed my Rising Sun ranch hand jacket:

019675x900.jpg

020900x675.jpg

Happy 4th to all you fellow patriots and a happy Monday to the rest of the contestants! :P

Great stuff everyone. Thanks for the rep and comments. I picked the buttons up this past April when we had a dollar sale and I bought a RRL skirt that had the buttons as well as cinch back. I am kicking myself for not taking the cinch too but I just snipped off the buttons and tossed the skirt. They were originally black but after a night of soaking in stripper, they easily turned back to the original metal.

Handsome jacket there rnrswitch!

Happy Independence day to my fellow American contestants!

Today was cold, wet & windy here in Victoria, 100 km/h winds overnight, slow day, no celebrations, I went grocery shopping...

p7050008q.jpg

Doc- I'm glad you're doing OK

Awesome last few pages.

tg and paul t, this sunday, and robbie- nice posts

Fresco- you're putting some good wear on these jeans.

riff- your photography is getting better and better

The theme this week at my daughter's day camp is holidays. Today the kid's in her group made drawings of holidays from October, all of them obscure. One of the ones she chose was Denim Day. I'm not even sure what day that is. Here is her drawing. The figure at the bottom is me in my RxC, and I am saying "I love denim."

denimdaysmall.jpg

My daughter is always telling my friends that I waste all our money on jeans.

Congratz on the kayak tg76!

ADH92, welcome back, thanks for sharing your trip!

Nice & cold in Melbourne these couple of days. Gf had a day off, so we went walking.

Melbourne Central, nothing like the massive central stations elsewhere, but we do have 5 train stations within the CBD, so it's alright...

p7060018.jpg

Inside we have what was once Melbourne's tallest building - I forget the details.

p7060029.jpg

p7060041.jpg

And Melbourne's biggest watch.

p7060038.jpg

They've also got a small community garden; herbs free for picking!

p7060025.jpg

p7060027.jpg

Not a garden as much as a hang-out place for young people.

Candy store, got myself some Jelly Belly's:

p7060019.jpg

p7060022.jpg

Went to my favourite Malaysian eatery:

p7060005k.jpg

p7060014.jpg

BBQ chicken with chicken rice:

p7060011.jpg

Mince pork ban mee:

p7060016.jpg

Denim:

p7060013j.jpg

Zoomed out:

p7060001h.jpg

Have to stop wearing the jeans to dry after a wash - getting some serious knee bags.

The theme this week at my daughter's day camp is holidays. Today the kid's in her group made drawings of holidays from October, all of them obscure. One of the ones she chose was Denim Day. I'm not even sure what day that is. Here is her drawing. The figure at the bottom is me in my RxC, and I am saying "I love denim."

denimdaysmall.jpg

My daughter is always telling my friends that I waste all our money on jeans.

Hahahaha John - Cute and hilarious all at the same time!

Funny (and scary) how our kids point out the obvious. It's almost as she's saying 'you need help daddy' :)

(note to self: curb spending on jeans and flight jackets before the nipper notices)

Inside we have what was once Melbourne's tallest building - I forget the details.

p7060029.jpg

p7060041.jpg

From what I remember from last being in melbourne that tower was used for the creation of Shot many years ago. Pretty amazing building, but sadly not possible to get up the top. Awesome photos of it!

IMG_2690.jpg

Has an unfortunate air of the 'glory hole' to it! :eek:

One of my buddies got a box in the mail, because he forgot all his dress clothes back in Cleveland. His mom shipped them in an orange box and she sealed all the holes with newspaper. That woman's face poked through one of the holes. Super creepy. Thanks for all the rep guys. I'll try to update as much as I can while I'm here, but internet is super spotty.

Ha, thanks John, I haven't seen that edition yet... hope they got all the right pics in the right order...

The pictures seem like they are in the right order, but I just took a quick look.

My favorite sentence so far: "In the admittedly narrow niche of pseudopsychedelic cockney music-hall children's songs, it reigns supreme."

End of last week and beginning of this I wanted to get some work done around the house. And now my knees and knuckles are killing me but I think it was worth it.

I went over every inch, laboriously, of these floorboards, with cleaning fluid and steel wool…

floor1.jpg

These floorboards are mostly from the 1820s - I relaid them all when we moved in, throwing out the worm-infested ones and replacing them with reclaimed boards, sawn from Victorian beams, so it was a lot of work to try and match the two sets up. But it worked. The 'new' boards are at the front, the old ones behind. Finally, five minutes before we're due to go out, a last coat of varnish. Done!

floor3.jpg

We were headed for a launch of work by a friend of mine, Alan Baker. I first met him maybe 15 years ago when we commissioned an illustration from him for MOJO; around seven yeards ago he had a sale of art at his house, when we bought a lovely painting from him that we gave to my best mate as a wedding present. Now, he's big time…

busts1.jpg

The bronze busts are all cast from children we know (his kids are at the same school as the nipper). I love the image of these angelic girls and boys, warped by the masks that look sinister, with mythological resonance… his paintings also have very rude words scratched into them, which the nipper and his friends obviously lloved.

busts2.jpg

The opening was a massive success. It followed one in NYC last year, where his work was snapped up by Robert de Niro, Damien Hirst and others. Now there was a red dot on every single painting. Their prices were all around £60k. SO he's finally hit the big time - knowing this is someone who's been grafting at it, hard, for nearly two decades, this is fantastic.

There was a great selection of arty and media types, I spotted the editor of Marie Claiire, and others, and this cadaverous apparition: Ronnie Wood. It was great, that Ronnie added to the sense of event, and I restrained myself from shouting at him, "are you into art, Ronnie?" (His paintings are terrible.. and the guy himself is a bit of a wallie, not even a good guitarist these days.)

ronnie.jpg

Sadly, we can't afford his paintings any more! Luckily we do have two small ones, and today we blew some cash on a screenprint we couldn't really afford, just to participate. But you could also screenprint and take home a poster if you asked nicely. Which the nipper did.

screenprint.jpg

After elbowing Ronnie out of the way, we and the nipper were off into town, with the nipper's own signed artwork…

curtis.jpg

We were headed towards a restaurant by Carnaby Street, past these lovely old shopfronts.

riflemaker.jpg

door.jpg

When we arrived at the restaurant, my cellphone rang. By now I was pissed (in the englsih sense) and had, er, forgotten I was doing a phone interview with the NY POst about my book. I know I talked a right load of wank. oops. ah well, all in a good cause. THe meal was pretty good tho' mine was cold when I got back to the table.

food-1.jpg

We alked back to the train station via Leicester Square - where the Harry Potter premier was taking place.

leicestersquare.jpg

It was heaving, masses of kids, mostly European, around everyblock, including Great Newport Street, just behind the square.

greatnewport.jpg

We thought we'd have to be very lucky for the nipper to get to see any stars. We were! Out of the back door came Lord Voldemort himself! (Lady t is always the best person to be around on nights like this, she can spot fh most famous, or obscure, ENglish thespian at 200 yards).

Lord Voldemort - Ralph Fiennes - is on the left, turned away from us. I think the mrs has held a torch for him ever since Schindler's list, where he plays a nasty SS camp commandant. Girls love a nazi uniform…

voldemort.jpg

Voldemort being whisked away (back seat, far side). Why can't he just fly home? Faker!

voldemort2.jpg