ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Brian came close to getting this very nice pair of ('40s? Army dress?) boots:

5839889079_219de1756d_o.jpg

If he's looking for something similar to those boots, the cordovan service boots from WWII Impressions would definitely work. I've heard good things about them, and a few people have posted some nice looking pics in the shoes thread.

Here's the link: http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusmccordovan.html

First, and most relevant right now because I'm HUNGRY, something I think mikecch will enjoy:

IMG_1806.jpg

the "Giant Burger" at a new restaurant in town: true to it's name!There's a fried egg and ham in there too. With pretty damn good chips, all for 12500 Shillings, or about $5.50. One of the best quality+quantity/dollar deals to ever show up in Kampala!

And, more importantly: I decided to reward myself for finishing my work by... washing my pants! They had gotten so filthy that they were stiff and shiney. Homegirl did not appreciate.

For the record, I had hot soaked them three times (the third was a near-boiling hot soak) with agitation, but they had never touched soap

Before

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

Notice how different the color of the denim is on the waistband - where it's regularly covered by my belt - and you'll have an idea of how much filth I'm exposed to on a daily basis (you don't even want to imagine the color of the water that comes off me when I shower at the end of the day)

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

In the wash they went, with Dr. Bronner's (almond flavored... mmmm...) and a shitload of nearly-boiling water, heavily agitated (but not spun)

I snagged some of the water when they were finished washing

IMG_3068.jpg

And the result. Night and freaking day. I didn't know they were blue!

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

Love the shell overlock fades...

IMG_3093.jpg

and the striation of color

IMG_3095.jpg

The Ugandagrime has permanently stained the denim in splotches, as you can see a bit in this photo - there are dark splotches all over the fabric. Kinda like denim leopard-spots!

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Also love the cinch-fades

IMG_3115.jpg

Before and after fit. The waist shrunk from 32 to 30.5 and the inseam from 33.75 to 33.

15%252520June%252520first%252520wash.jpg

Not sure what's with the ass-cleavage in the after shot, though. Bit disturbing, eh?

Unrelated, but while I have the camera out. A friend's mom beaded this belt for me. Pretty stoked! Unfortunately the beads make it so thick it's really not comfortable under the cinch, so it'll be doing sideline duty for now.

IMG_3123.jpg

Today's mellow fit

IMG_3132.jpg

And a lovely scene of life in Uganda to leave you with. This truck was stalled out and completely blocking off one of the main artery roads through this part of Kampala. Lovely.

IMG_3136.jpg

Ta ta for now!

Hit up the farmers market yesterday to get some bread.

This guy sells the best stuff around.

_IGP7949.JPG

The Spice Truck is my second favorite stop..

_IGP7944.JPG

They had this scary looking hot sauce (Then she took out some even hotter stuff from the back after I took the picture)

_IGP7945.JPG

The market has been growing every year now they have all sorts of stuff going on.

_IGP7942.JPG

They even got a guy to sharpen your knifes!

_IGP7956.JPG

Saw this beaut' there(Im talking about the subaru, of course)

_IGP7941.JPG

This pretty much sums up my city.

_IGP7953.JPG

After that I had a repair job to do on my OG Roys:

Before:

_IGP7930.JPG

After:

_IGP7931.JPG

Your Roys look amazing, dkatz. The pre-wash photos look downright nasty :)

My Roys and I volunteered for the Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay this morning. It starts in my town and runs 191.7 miles up through the Wasatch Mountains and ends in Park City. Each person runs three legs of ~5-7 miles over the course of the race, which runs continuously for around 20-36 hours, depending on how fast the team is. There were 1127 teams of twelve people in the race!

I have a group of good friends racing, so I gladly offered to be one of their three volunteers. My job was to check in teams as they arrive. Here are my Roys looking official.

a02c85a4.jpg

Many of the teams come up with amusing costumes. I saw one team all dressed as Captain Underpants, another was all fluorescent cavemen??

84c5abdb.jpg

Some of the names were pretty funny as well. As I read one team's name- The Third Leg is the Hardest- I paused, and then burst out laughing.

bf2851b4.jpg

It was a beautiful day for it! Perfect temperatures.

f81830bc.jpg

As one of the teams was checking in, I saw this one guy and thought, "Hey, is that guy wearing a kitenge bandanna??" Apparently, he thought, "Hey, that guy's jeans look pretty good!" Then there was a pause....

HEY!! It was cash! Despite living just 100 miles from each other, we hadn't met up yet. My life has been so busy lately that I hadn't been down to SLC much at all in the past 5 months. It was great to finally meet, albeit briefly... so random. I did give him a little bit of a hard time for not running in the Roys ;)

940f81c9.jpg

As one of the teams was checking in, I saw this one guy and thought, "Hey, is that guy wearing a kitenge bandanna??" Apparently, he thought, "Hey, that guy's jeans look pretty good!" Then there was a pause....

HEY!! It was cash! Despite living just 100 miles from each other, we hadn't met up yet. My life has been so busy lately that I hadn't been down to SLC much at all in the past 5 months. It was great to finally meet, albeit briefly... so random. I did give him a little bit of a hard time for not running in the Roys ;)

Crazy and awesome to randomly meetup like that!

Us ROYs are the new street gang taking over. Krips and Bloods' blue and red bandannas have nothin' on technicolor kitenge for to recognize!

Establishing some territory at the Edmonds ferry dock.

edmondsanchorsmall.jpg

^What, after seeing Daniel's jeans? I believe Beatle pegged him as the winner at the outset...

I've been hoping that he would stop wearing them because they're a little roomier than what he usually wears. No such luck

Anyway, here's my favorite building in LA

P6082988.jpg

P6082984.jpg

P6082990.jpg

P6083004.jpg

P6082995.jpg

P6083035.jpg

P6083045.jpg

P6083031.jpg

P6083066.jpg

So many great updates, seems like you guys are really having fun in LA!

But...dkatz, your jeans - AMAZING! Can't believe they've only had 6 months wear!

I do appreciate a nice burger :)

Had some average burger today:

p6180092.jpg

p6180090t.jpg

Avian friend wanted some chips (I swear the family of birds living at McDonald's are all going to die early...)

Put jeans into washer shortly after lunch, must remember to take them out before spin cycle...

Took this baby out for a walk too:

p6180110.jpg

I washed the old ROYs for the first time since the initial soak. The were getting ripe. Some hot water from the tap and some boiling from the stove into the tub with Woolite. Add some agitation. Gloosh, gloosh, gloosh. Voila, pea soup. Drain and rinse, and the water went from sick green to a crazy blue. Wear to dry and... not much difference. Dang, what are you guys doing to your jeans? Mine only barely look like they're breaking. Maybe it's the looseness. I didn't need to unbutton to drop trow, just slip the suspenders. They've definitely trimmed up now though as the initial soak was just a short warm one. They'll actually stay up on their own now. I guess I'm off to go wrassle something.

and then there's Saville Row, where many of London's best-known bespoke tailors are huddled. I love that the Japanese word for suit - sabiro - is named after this street.

Nice story, but I don't think it's true since sebiro 背広 the kanji means broad back, it isn't a katakana word as imported words are usually written.

First off, TVShooter, I'm really sorry I didn't make the party. I checked the map and going out there would have turned my trip from 6.5 hours to 9 hours! Really really wish I could have made it.

That said, here's my last update before I'm off to the Brevard Music Center.

Got lunch with my parents yesterday. Before and after. Some mock meat of some sort. Really tasty.

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2605.jpg

Went to some state park. It was really beautiful. The Roys enjoyed it.

IMG_2607.jpg

Lady found a raspberry bush.

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

They were just about the tastiest berries I've ever had in my whole life.

She's adventurous.

IMG_2623.jpg

And a gift upon our departure. Every man needs some hankies and she took the time to embroider some for me. It's sad I won't get to see her for 6 weeks.

IMG_2624.jpg