Jump to content
LFC4ever

The Flat Head

Recommended Posts

Damn, that shirts old as hell. Jeans still looking great! Cool that you finally got a pair that fits and also has the perfect amount of length!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

Got this sweet FH flannel off eBay! This was actually one of the first ones I bought back in 2011, but I quickly sold it since it was pretty big and floppy on me (42.) This one is a size 40 and fits just right. Also, I am still seriously loving the 3005s.

SmR9HJZ.png

YJHrGvB.png

Do you know what the measurements are in the width and shoulders on your shirt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoulders are 18", chest is 40". No real signs of wear or damage on the shirt, though it's very soft and broken in. Feels like a vintage flannel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a like new pair of 3005's with Japanese arcs if anyone is interested before I put them on eBay.  Size 32, 30.5" inseam.   Send me a PM for more details and pics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave my 3005s their first wash @ one month of wear. They weren't dirty or anything, but I thought I'd try more frequent washes with this pair, using the warm wash setting on my machine and Woolite Dark. The denim feels very stiff and crunchy, and already some bright blue vertical streaks are coming out. I think I'll get some nice contrast with these despite more frequent washing than past pairs.

While they were hanging up to dry, I wore my 3009s out for the first time. Somehow these 3009s seem to look much better than my first pair, with a mini-cuff and no break they looked super clean with my white sneakers and a tee. They seem to have more taper in the leg, maybe. I forgot to snap some pics, but they looked and felt great. It's really tempting to wear these, especially since they work with low top sneakers a lot better than my 3005s, but I'm going to try to focus on just one pair.

Compared to my first 3009s, which used all-orange stitching, the yellow stitches around the pocket and elsewhere really make the jeans stand out more, but in a really good way. Also, the 3009 is very clearly a different cut, not just a 3005 with a tapered leg. The 3009 has a slightly lower rise and maybe a bit more width in the lower hip/upper thigh. I feel the top block of the 3005 is a bit more "balanced," but both look good.

If I designed a FH jean, at this point, I think I'd take the 3005, give it a longer rise so it sat at true waist like a repro pair, and give just the slightest taper from the knee down, so the hem would be about 8" rather than 9" or so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cold Summer said:

I gave my 3005s their first wash @ one month of wear. They weren't dirty or anything, but I thought I'd try more frequent washes with this pair, using the warm wash setting on my machine and Woolite Dark. The denim feels very stiff and crunchy, and already some bright blue vertical streaks are coming out. I think I'll get some nice contrast with these despite more frequent washing than past pairs.

While they were hanging up to dry, I wore my 3009s out for the first time. Somehow these 3009s seem to look much better than my first pair, with a mini-cuff and no break they looked super clean with my white sneakers and a tee. They seem to have more taper in the leg, maybe. I forgot to snap some pics, but they looked and felt great. It's really tempting to wear these, especially since they work with low top sneakers a lot better than my 3005s, but I'm going to try to focus on just one pair.

Compared to my first 3009s, which used all-orange stitching, the yellow stitches around the pocket and elsewhere really make the jeans stand out more, but in a really good way. Also, the 3009 is very clearly a different cut, not just a 3005 with a tapered leg. The 3009 has a slightly lower rise and maybe a bit more width in the lower hip/upper thigh. I feel the top block of the 3005 is a bit more "balanced," but both look good.

If I designed a FH jean, at this point, I think I'd take the 3005, give it a longer rise so it sat at true waist like a repro pair, and give just the slightest taper from the knee down, so the hem would be about 8" rather than 9" or so.

 

Nice update. I have been tempted to hot wash mine again to try and shrink them back up since they have stretched a bit now.

I use to have the 3009 in the same tag size and remember the hip area feeling much tighter along with the waist in comparison to the same tag size in the 3005 i wear now. 

I wear all of my jeans on the hip to high hip area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

Jesus.... that jacket is amazing!!!

If you're referring to my jacket can't argue there. Picked it up at Rivet and Hide in early July during the heat wave and haven't been able to wear it until now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, indeed I am. That leather is just unbelievable looking. I would have bought that one instead of the RMC if the back looked like a traditional J24. 

That jacket is just unbelievable though! Super thick leather right? Even though it looks like it has so much character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! It is pretty special and the leather definitely has a lot of character especially if you compare it to some 'buttery soft' Schotts. Can't really say if the leather is super thick but a bit thicker than my RMC j-100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quick update.  FH 1001 9 washes.5bb23e2b34e07_100110181.JPG.1adca798c87d5f63fdfd83eaf983ad8c.JPG5bb23e32d73e3_100110182.JPG.6e2b609cb2e854898631180a7230e45d.JPG5bb23e3c7e7b3_100110183.JPG.24e3df2ceedf57bfac65da5f5df5f1ea.JPG5bb23e4a3e24b_100110184.JPG.c82efbf0dcbecc37cf760186fe5e133b.JPG5bb23e545964d_100110185.JPG.6a44559fffd65ac8dcd94d7f3229898c.JPG

Edited by Smallrod
removed details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great progress on those Smallrod, the frequent washing looks like it's really brought out the color of the jeans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks!  Summer was brutal (no pun intended, lol) so now being able to wear these more consistently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smallrod said:

 

Quick update.  FH 1001 9 washes.5bb23e545964d_100110185.JPG.6a44559fffd65ac8dcd94d7f3229898c.JPG

Really like the angle of these whiskers. Great overall color/contrast too - these definitely do best with frequent washes

Edited by STINGER93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFH 3002 is on my way, maybe one or two more days before I receive them. I chose size 34, because I have a 33 inch waist (measure Rivertandhide), I do not have a hot water wash machine,

Do you have any advice for me?

Time to put them in hot water?

and with what temperature?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Petez said:

TFH 3002 is on my way, maybe one or two more days before I receive them. I chose size 34, because I have a 33 inch waist (measure Rivertandhide), I do not have a hot water wash machine,

Do you have any advice for me?

Time to put them in hot water?

and with what temperature?

 

If you do not have a hot washing machine, I recommend a "hot hand wash". Use warm/hot water in the tub and very heavily agitate the denim with your hands like a machine would periodically throughout the soak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank you, for how long? Hum, I think it will be 2 hours !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a brand new Flat Head WR western flannel for a good price and decided to get it. Hoping the sizing works out. Since they are not continuing the WR fit I figured best to just get it.

Curious to see how much more room the WR fit offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the small amount of research I've done, seems the sneakers fit close to like a Chuck Taylor? I wear a 10.

 Their up for pre-order now, I kind of like how their leather and not canvas. 

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/2nd/item/fh-snk-01hs-bkxrd/?l-id=rgm_search_en_rvp_widget

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the FH sneakers in the largest size (10) and it fits about the same as my true size in Converse/Vans (11.5.) I think most people will want to go down one full US size from those shoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

I have the FH sneakers in the largest size (10) and it fits about the same as my true size in Converse/Vans (11.5.) I think most people will want to go down one full US size from those shoes.

I found a conversion chart, and like you said the biggest size is a 10 they offer when converted. 

Good info on downsizing these. Seems I would want a size 9 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me they fit like the 70s Chucks, which is about a full size bigger than Vans imo. 

I wear 

size 8 in FH sneakers

size 8 in 70s Chucks

size 8 in Lofgren sneakers

size 9 in Vans/Nike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, goodrain said:

To me they fit like the 70s Chucks, which is about a full size bigger than Vans imo. 

I wear 

size 8 in FH sneakers

size 8 in 70s Chucks

size 8 in Lofgren sneakers

size 9 in Vans/Nike

Thanks. 

I have a pair of 70's so it may be best to just go with that same size. 

Did the FH's stretch much being leather? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, I never noticed mine to stretch at all, but my foot's not very wide, so it doesn't put much pressure on the shoe.

I wear a 11 in 70s Chucks, so you'd probably go down one full size. But I dunno, I feel like my feet are kinda weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't notice stretching either. I would say go with your 70s Chucks size. They come with double insoles so you can get an extra half size of room by removing one of the insoles if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with goodrain, I have the white ones and I wear the same size in them as chucks and Lofgren sneakers.  They do have a slightly wider/roomier fit than the others mentioned and that may give the impression of a larger fit.   Lengthwise, they are about the same to me.

Awesome sneakers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are really tempting me. Sneakers have been on my mind for a few months, now, but I missed my chance on the low-top Lofgrens and I've been going back and forth a bunch between other options.

The whole leather thing is appealing vs. the usual canvas, but I don't really have good context for thinking about how leather would react to the vulcanization. Anyone who knows a bit more about the manufacturing process able to chime in? I guess my intuition says that leather's not great with extreme heat, but I could be way off the mark there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really comment on the manufacturing process but I have 2 pairs in different colors, both are a few years old and look really well for their age and use.  Very solid construction and they should last a long time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, all the worn-in pairs that I've seen photos of look like they've held up great. I don't doubt that it works—I'd just like to know how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125