If you're shooting for fun/hobby and not getting paid off of photography, your personal appreciation for your own photography is good enough in my opinion. Great if others like it, otherwise not a big deal.

if you shoot in RAW

just curious, as i dont shoot digital, why would anyone NOT shoot in RAW?

everything i've read tells me that its the most easily manipulated. and that its just overall better.

thanks

just curious, as i dont shoot digital, why would anyone NOT shoot in RAW?

everything i've read tells me that its the most easily manipulated. and that its just overall better.

thanks

either

• laziness- you have to sharpen, adjust contrast/wb, etc... when you shoot in raw...

• memory space- I can shoot about 350 raw on a 8gb and maybe 1000+ jpg large

• or they just don't know

If you're shooting for fun/hobby and not getting paid off of photography, your personal appreciation for your own photography is good enough in my opinion. Great if others like it, otherwise not a big deal.
Don't sell yourself short. If they are crap, Im sure there are people here who would love to tell you about it. I love this one by the way.
juanda - your photos are much better than many of the ones in this thread. keep it up.

haha thx guys. ok, more of mine

2981143992_3352e34bb0.jpg

2980287893_f462ded261.jpg

2983290161_374439f93f.jpg

2980288157_67942e2312.jpg

either
  • laziness- you have to sharpen, adjust contrast/wb, etc... when you shoot in raw...

• memory space- I can shoot about 350 raw on a 8gb and maybe 1000+ jpg large

• or they just don't know

i used to shoot in raw but had like 300 pictures in queue to be processed... now i only have half...

Haha alright thanks :) that makes sense.

god i need a dslr

can someone explain the benefit of raw? i have the option on my camera, but never really use it (except one time when attempting to layer two pics on top of one another.... didn't work out so well).

When explaining this I often make an analogy to film that probably isn't technically correct but it gets the point across:

Think of the RAW image as a film negative, and a JPEG as the developed photo. If you shoot in JPEG, your camera is "developing" the raw data into a JPEG, applying the white balance, exposure, and sharpening settings that you have selected in your camera.

If you shoot in RAW, you can do the "developing" on the computer, which gives you MUCH more flexibility, because there's more data available to tweak. You have all the digital data straight from the camera's sensor to play around with. You're also not stuck with the preferences selected in-camera. For example, you can better change the white balance, you can recover blown-out highlights, and obtain usable images from underexposed shots.

The other awesome thing is that, since the RAW conversion (development) is a software process, future software updates and improved algorithms can actually make your images look better!

so if i'm doing my color adjustments in iphoto, i'm probably better off just shooting in jpeg?

yea iphoto only does jpeg - for raw you'd need apeture or light room (or photoshop/a myriad of others)

edit: that being said, i don't actually shoot in raw, so whatever