shit you really werent kidding hahaha

it's a terrifying amount of information, and there's a fine point where it doesn't make sense to me at all

Generally speaking yes, but if the aperture has rounded blades like the nikkor 18-105 VR does, then the bokeh (quality of the out of focus areas) will be rounded also.

What I think braidkid was struck with, as am I, is the quality of the bokeh--how the two bright spots are neutral (even in intensity without a distinct outline around the circle) and how the other spots blend so well into the background with a gaussian distribution (brighter in the middle and dissapating exponentially towards the edge of the circle. Also surprising is that at that relatively small aperature, the bokeh was that good, especially with a lens that has VR

Thanks for the info, thats actually stuff I didn't know.

For a bit of background (and what may lend itself as more information to how the picture works) - I can point you to two other pictures, namely the one I took approximately 5 feet over:

3002065614_5d6f97922e.jpg

The bank of lamps help - and the round colored things are actually these:

3001226561_f8e2a1b192.jpg

So, the bokeh-ed objects are extremely well lit (and are light sources) that are round, which really enhanced the actual bokeh that the picture generated.

As for a lot of other things, I'll call it just luck, but at least knowing how it worked after the fact can help me recreate it again.

got my 35mm pentax spotmatic II fixed awhile back. had some fun just shooting a b&w roll, mostly causal snapshots.

Fucking awesome. I just found my dad's old 35mm Spotmatic and all I need is a new battery, some film, and I'm good to go.