^^^

I have this lens too, the 50mm 1.8 D, and it's great prime for the price (got mine for $60)

Your second shot is probably the best. But what are the stories you are trying to tell with your pictures? I mean this rhetorically, because it seems like the first is just something you just saw that had a cool cartoon on it. Second has good contrast and detail as well as movement, but why is that interesting. The last is just bad: nothing is actually in focus, there is no detail, camera shake, over-exposed, no real composition just people standing/walking. If you panned with the women in focus and left the background out of focus then this could be interesting, but as it is, there isn't much to look at.

You seem to miss the point of shooting a prime is because you can open the aperture wide at low light to shoot at a reasonable shutter speed or really manipulate depth of field by shooting open to narrow the focal plane.

I don't mean this to be negative, just wanted to give you something to think about while taking pictures

edit:

giottito: those aren't photographs, they are snapshots

^^^

I have this lens too, the 50mm 1.8 D, and it's great prime for the price (got mine for $60)

Your second shot is probably the best. But what are the stories you are trying to tell with your pictures? I mean this rhetorically, because it seems like the first is just something you just saw that had a cool cartoon on it. Second has good contrast and detail as well as movement, but why is that interesting. The last is just bad: nothing is actually in focus, there is no detail, camera shake, over-exposed, no real composition just people standing/walking. If you panned with the women in focus and left the background out of focus then this could be interesting, but as it is, there isn't much to look at.

You seem to miss the point of shooting a prime is because you can open the aperture wide at low light to shoot at a reasonable shutter speed or really manipulate depth of field by shooting open to narrow the focal plane.

I don't mean this to be negative, just wanted to give you something to think about while taking pictures

edit:

giottito: those aren't photographs, they are snapshots

Soonami - no negativity assumed, really value your feedback.

I've only been shooting for a very short time - wasn't even aware of aperature etc etc until visiting my brother who is really into photography.

Telling stories is someting I hope to develop over time, its going to be a while though but like when I'm making music, the journey is the fun part!!!

The other night i was trying out some still lifes with lighting to see what i could get.

Obviously these could be accomplished by anyone with a camera, i just thought id give it a go.

Setup:

Desktop lamp

Orange card

White paper to bounce a little bit of light

Canon 40D

50mm f/1.8

If someone could leave me some comments on how to improve these then that would be appreciated.

Besides the fact that i cut off the product at the bottom of the image .

3035171197_1eb3505c56.jpg

3035165473_38b2c81435.jpg

3036004894_b4e458f230.jpg

corter is that a macro or just a low f/stop lens?

i couldnt even guess that last image.

both, i'm shooting extension tubes with a 50mm at f/1.8, lens isn't inverted though.

the last is a pink pearl snap. it's all part of a project i've been doing for a little while, i'll have more from time to time till i'm done.

here's a couple more:

3036349932_c3a27e5af0.jpg

this one i'm not using:

3036349672_79efb6e84c.jpg

and an eyeball, we were playing around and i was about 1" away from his eye. my eyes couldn't even focus because i was so close

3036569860_7776363882.jpg

The other night i was trying out some still lifes with lighting to see what i could get.

Obviously these could be accomplished by anyone with a camera, i just thought id give it a go.

Setup:

Desktop lamp

Orange card

White paper to bounce a little bit of light

Canon 40D

50mm f/1.8

If someone could leave me some comments on how to improve these then that would be appreciated.

Besides the fact that i cut off the product at the bottom of the image .

try setting a custom white balance, they look pretty warm. otherwise, just work on composition a bit, maybe get a nice flash when you can and a cheap light stand/umbrella?

both, i'm shooting extension tubes with a 50mm at f/1.8, lens isn't inverted though.

the last is a pink pearl snap. it's all part of a project i've been doing for a little while, i'll have more from time to time till i'm done.

very good!!! love that eye photo, can you tell me exactly what your using please.

id like to do something like this aswell.