first 2 are underexposed

First off I shot all of them in RAW and when editting the first one - the highlight on the saxophone player's face becomes far too blown out when increasing the exposure. In the second photo the saturation has actually been depressed to convey the mood but the exposure in the histogram isn't underexposed at all.

When you're shooting inside within a party with significant accent and highlight lighting and only a camera mounted flash to work with it can often be near impossible to expose 100% of the picture perfectly yet all three of these were final images I gave to the birthday boy as none of their artistic faults prevent conveying the event - which, after all, is what he hired me to do.

shoulda just bounced the flash off the ceiling, it looks low enough. I'm not talking about histograms or anything, shooting in RAW, filters, whatever...you posted "event" shots and that's a bit of crit for you. A successful event shoot should have even lighting throughout the photos, allowing you to just batch process everything and stick it on a disc for proofs, then go in later and tweak the keepers.

how did you use your flash? the third looks like you bounced it straight up, and it looks fine...but the second looks like you threw it forward and the first looks like it was almost going backwards.

shoulda just bounced the flash off the ceiling, it looks low enough. I'm not talking about histograms or anything, shooting in RAW, filters, whatever...you posted "event" shots and that's a bit of crit for you. A successful event shoot should have even lighting throughout the photos, allowing you to just batch process everything and stick it on a disc for proofs, then go in later and tweak the keepers.

how did you use your flash? the third looks like you bounced it straight up, and it looks fine...but the second looks like you threw it forward and the first looks like it was almost going backwards.

First off, to make it clear, I love the critique and appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Second, the flash was bounced off the ceiling in all three though it doesn't always result in even lighting when theres multiple other lighting sources in the room that can overpower/diminish the on camera flash. The second picture is a perfect example of when I bounced the flash off the ceiling but a rotating light hit the people in the back right as the shot went off, over exposing them a little bit, not a perfect photo, but thats not the art or purpose of event photography imo.

Third, I wouldn't over-generalize and can safely say as a professional photographer I have hardly ever used batch process techniques because the lighting isn't ever that symmetrical especially not at a party event with dancefloor lighting. The only time I find it helpful is with a sole light source in one room and sadly usually my shoots are more complex than that.

And as for spot exposure and lasso-ing - these are very labor intensive and time consuming processes and really don't make monetary sense when you're getting paid for the shoot. it really only works in limited circumstances but I have employed it with architectural shots absolutely - especially with black and whites where the haloing is less noticeable.

Here's an example of where I used lasso-ing and selective exposure methods, just because I want to keep adding to the thread and keep things going.

im16ms6.jpg

And as for spot exposure and lasso-ing - these are very labor intensive and time consuming processes and really don't make monetary sense when you're getting paid for the shoot. it really only works in limited circumstances but I have employed it with architectural shots absolutely - especially with black and whites where the haloing is less noticeable.

Why the need for spot exposure and lasso-ing? You're just destructing the image and losing data with that process, a simple dodge and burn or quick mask curves adjustment would do the job fine of popping a subject out.

First off, to make it clear, I love the critique and appreciate it. Keep it coming.

Second, the flash was bounced off the ceiling in all three though it doesn't always result in even lighting when theres multiple other lighting sources in the room that can overpower/diminish the on camera flash. The second picture is a perfect example of when I bounced the flash off the ceiling but a rotating light hit the people in the back right as the shot went off, over exposing them a little bit, not a perfect photo, but thats not the art or purpose of event photography imo.

Third, I wouldn't over-generalize and can safely say as a professional photographer I have hardly ever used batch process techniques because the lighting isn't ever that symmetrical especially not at a party event with dancefloor lighting. The only time I find it helpful is with a sole light source in one room and sadly usually my shoots are more complex than that.

i've never shot an event where i don't overpower dancefloor lighting with a single flash on camera. I don't know, it sounds like you're getting way too technical, and you could save yourself a shitload of time simply overpowering ambient lighting and getting nice, even lighting on your subjects just by bouncing the flash and not being dependant on digital post work. it's really not as complex as you're making it sound.

i grabbed a couple examples, both were taken in rooms that were very dark, lit by christmas lights or dance floor lights. they were both thrown in a batch and processed out overnight. i've got thousands more if you need them, i think you're overworking yourself.

3030297562_bbb34d9b73.jpg

3029462405_c0ac5ed78e.jpg

i dont think you need to get so defensive, they were just giving honest critique

have you tried spot editing exposure and saturation levels using feathered marquees and lassos etc?

edit: and to keep this interesting heres something i took today

sven.jpg

lolz, i saw this is seven, what the hell is it? a chic sleeping bag or something?

Here's one from one of my favorite spots in Albuquerque, an abandoned railroad warehouse (check it out in the new Terminator movie!). I admit that I am always scared when I go in there, and I rarely get any good pictures as a result. This shot was at the end of a cheap roll of film, I got more in B&W that I have to wait for the photo lab to develop.

l_1ee6d79b59bb4344b903b7a82cf959d2.jpg

get_mo: no plant macros--boring!

joelz: if you know it's a bad picture then why post?

corter: nice...Tiger looks like a George W. Bush impersonator in black face

cloudhands69: great location, nice photo, but looks like soft focus, bad scan, or maybe you should use slower film for better quality. I know it's expensive, but transparent slide film is really the way to go when sending film out tobe processed because it's harder for the processor to fuck up and it usually looks much more color accurate. As for sending B&W film out, you should learn how to do it yourself either by taking a class or through a friend. Idk how it is in NM, but you should be able to get into a photo class at a local college for cheap and get unlimited darkroom access