I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on picking up a SLR camera. I'm a complete photography newb and I want something decent that won't break the bank. I was looking at the D40 and D60 and I'm wondering if it's a serious problem that those cameras lack the internal drive motor for the lens. What are some comparable cameras (both in terms of quality and price) that do include the drive motor? Finally, what should my noob photo kit include (lenses, bag, SD drive, etc)?

Thank you!

D40 is a great deal everything you need in a DSLR, and the D60 is basically the same camera with a higher resolution sensor, although the 6+ MP of the D40 is pretty much all you need for normal hobbyist photography. Lack of internal motor drive renders many old Nikkor lenses inefficient since you have to manually focus, but most new lenses are AF-s which will autofocus (I generally prefer to manual focus anyway, just a pain in the ass if you ask someone else to take a picture for you or of you).

IDk shit abt Canon, I'll like the canonites handle that, but they seem to similarily good for the price

To the poster above, I would highly recommend getting a Nikon with the internal AF motor because Nikon hasn't changed its lens mount, ever. Meaning all AF lenses (even from the 80's onward) will work on today's dSLR albeit with a crop factor. You can often times save a great deal of money by buying older Nikon lenses (that are usually better made anyway with metal instead of plastic housings) and they will still work perfectly if you have a D50, D70, or D80. The D50 is substantially better than either the D60 and D40 for this very reason even though its a couple years old now and the D70 has some key features the D50 doesn't.

All I can seriously reccommend with absolute confidence is to spend far more money on your glass than your body because that means far more than anything else. Look for a lens with at least as wide an aperture as f/2.8 in the focal lengths you want and you'll get substantially crisper and more vivid photos because of it.

I was wondering if you all could give me some advice on picking up a SLR camera. I'm a complete photography newb and I want something decent that won't break the bank. I was looking at the D40 and D60 and I'm wondering if it's a serious problem that those cameras lack the internal drive motor for the lens. What are some comparable cameras (both in terms of quality and price) that do include the drive motor? Finally, what should my noob photo kit include (lenses, bag, SD drive, etc)?

Thank you!

To the poster above, I would highly recommend getting a Nikon with the internal AF motor because Nikon hasn't changed its lens mount, ever. Meaning all AF lenses (even from the 80's onward) will work on today's dSLR albeit with a crop factor. You can often times save a great deal of money by buying older Nikon lenses (that are usually better made anyway with metal instead of plastic housings) and they will still work perfectly if you have a D50, D70, or D80. The D50 is substantially better than either the D60 and D40 for this very reason even though its a couple years old now and the D70 has some key features the D50 doesn't.

All I can seriously reccommend with absolute confidence is to spend far more money on your glass than your body because that means far more than anything else. Look for a lens with at least as wide an aperture as f/2.8 in the focal lengths you want and you'll get substantially crisper and more vivid photos because of it.

You can probably find D80s/D70s cheap given that the D90 just came out, but I'd agree with Boston, good glass is key, it will help you in lowlight situations a ton

In my opinion the real bargain is the new 5D II.

Cheaper than the old 5D when it was released and 21mp full frame and 25,800 ISO...

In the film days it was good glass, the right flm and processing. Now its good glass and good sensor.

I've always put my $$$ in glass.

I only own 4 lenses.

24L, 35L, 85L and 200 2L and 2 5Ds.

In my opinion the real bargain is the new 5D II.

Cheaper than the old 5D when it was released and 21mp full frame and 25,800 ISO...

In the film days it was good glass, the right flm and processing. Now its good glass and good sensor.

I've always put my $$$ in glass.

I only own 4 lenses.

24L, 35L, 85L and 200 2L and 2 5Ds.

you are recommending a 5D mkII and L-glass to someone who said: "I'm a complete photography newb and I want something decent that won't break the bank"

:confused:

you are recommending a 5D mkII and L-glass to someone who said: "I'm a complete photography newb and I want something decent that won't break the bank"

:confused:

Yeah, the kid is asking for camera advice. Sound camera advice is to buy up the best glass and whatever body is the best value per dollar.

If you buy cheap glass and decide you want to keep pursuing photography, you'll inevitably end up trading the crap for the better lenses anyway.