More Promos

3048574206_a7be57cf72.jpg

3047736679_1c33553a7b.jpg

3047736827_a5902a666e.jpg

3048574916_cbe97bd94f.jpg

The thing that sucks about all these shots is the shoot went so well, and when I asked to get paid for the shots, they back out and say they can't afford anything right now. Totally sucks. Shoot went so well and was a ton of fun though. At least these are some of the best portraits I've ever taken.

keep it coming guys!

Here's a couple long exposure shots (my first) I just got back. All were f5.6, 2:08.

l_d27c21a6030546d9b784a1af3be3e6b0.jpg

l_41c1ffe48193416c9b0acd6a7b8ef54d.jpg

l_addd8ae3249f4bca8deca89d67af0b18.jpg

Taken at an old dump (1900s). The trash was repeatedly burned, so all that's left is glass. The ground is covered in bits of glass, and if you dig down a foot or so, you can find neat whole glass pieces.

Some things I learned: bring a flashlight! Nothing is quite in focus. If I had shined a flashlight on the subject to get a correct focus, it would have made these pics 100% better. Also, color film would have probably been more interesting. Still, I am satisfied with the first attempt.

Thanks everyone who has given me advice/responded to my PMs. I bought 2 rolls of slide film I hope to shoot on Thanksgiving morning.

The thing that sucks about all these shots is the shoot went so well, and when I asked to get paid for the shots, they back out and say they can't afford anything right now. Totally sucks. Shoot went so well and was a ton of fun though. At least these are some of the best portraits I've ever taken.

it tends to take a while before you realize that contracts are more important than most subject matter. take some time to build a portfolio, then don't feel bad about turning down jobs when the money's not there...you gotta make a living.

i like the pictures a lot, only thing i can see is the white balance may be a bit off (white shirts looking a bit brown on my monitor).

Great thing to learn right away: bands never have money but when they do they spend it on gear and BEER

Just don't expect to get money out of it unless you arrange it with the label/manager and you'll be fine. :)

Still enjoyable, and a good way to test out new shit.

boed.jpg

any critiques,etc are appreciated

the other two were blatantly touristy kind of photographs, however here I feel you've gone past that initial stage of wonderment and have captured a geniuine moment....though the composition is a lil off ...if there were more space on top that would be less distracting 4 me

the other two were blatantly touristy kind of photographs, however here I feel you've gone past that initial stage of wonderment and have captured a geniuine moment....though the composition is a lil off ...if there were more space on top that would be less distracting 4 me

Composition seems hard at first but you start to get the hang of it pretty easily if you just look at your pics with a critical eye.

Yeah, flip the camera 90degrees and you would have a better shot.

The pic of the guy on the curb could've been improved composition-wise with the man at the left filling up more of the vertical space on the frame. Like crouch down and zoom in/scoot forward. His face seems a little lost in shadow but that would be lessened if he were occupying a larger space in the frame, I'd think.

Good stuff tho, keep it up.

Also, this is dope.

3015765797_562e1f5681_o.jpg

There are some really good shots posted on this thread.

But I have a question for all you crazy photographers. What would be a good replacement for the Canon 18-55 kit lens? I was just looking to have a better, all around lens with a larger focal length range. I have been looking around for a while, but the ones that I looked at apparently aren't very good. I believe I have looked at the Canon 17-85mm, 28-135mm, 18-200mm as well as the Sigma 18-200mm. I prefer to have a lens with image/optical stabilazation. I know there will never be a perfect lens, but please do share any tips or recommendations when looking for one. Thanks!

But I have a question for all you crazy photographers. What would be a good replacement for the Canon 18-55 kit lens? I was just looking to have a better, all around lens with a larger focal length range. I have been looking around for a while, but the ones that I looked at apparently aren't very good. I believe I have looked at the Canon 17-85mm, 28-135mm, 18-200mm as well as the Sigma 18-200mm. I prefer to have a lens with image/optical stabilazation. I know there will never be a perfect lens, but please do share any tips or recommendations when looking for one. Thanks!

Basically, you need at least 2 different lenses to cover 20mm-200mm. The only telephoto zoom lens worth purchasing for either Nikon or Canon is the 70-200 f/2.8 (or in Nikon's case the 80-200mm) Its the only thing with a wide enough aperture to take good photos - trust me after buying the shit you're talking about. I am not well versed enough in Canon glass to recommend the best wide angle-portrait zoom but make sure you're at least at aperture f/2.8 if not lower if you're buying primes.

Any questions specifically, PM me - even if I can't answer I can link you to the resources you need to read.

The 17-55 mm f2.8 gets a lot of mentions for its quality optics, but given the price its not really all that great in terms of build quality. May not be long enough for some applications but this is my regular walk-around... but I'm using a 50D so cropping becomes helpful.

The Tamaron 18-270 is apparently better then the Canon 18-200 for both optics and stabilization.

Do you have any other lens aside from the 18-55?