Why not? I mean, I can see why you wouldn't like it as much (and I can think of why its forming like that but you could say what it is that makes you not like it

Well, the good bokeh blur is not circular but a weird elliptical shape with uneven color distribution. There is a very distinct outline on the outside, left edge that is very distracting.

Ideally, the bokeh of points of light should have a perfect gaussian distribution with gradual fading towards the outer edge of the blur disk that blends into the rest of the background. It should not look like a busted used condom.

READ: http://bokehtests.com/Site/About_Bokeh.html

Well, the good bokeh blur is not circular but a weird elliptical shape with uneven color distribution. There is a very distinct outline on the outside, left edge that is very distracting.

Ideally, the bokeh of points of light should have a perfect gaussian distribution with gradual fading towards the outer edge of the blur disk that blends into the rest of the background. It should not look like a busted used condom.

READ: http://bokehtests.com/Site/About_Bokeh.html

I read that page and in looking at the photos I cannot tell the difference. +rep if you can evaluate the bokeh in this photo below that I've posted quite a few pages ago. I recognize its your opinion, but if you could back it up with what specifically you see in the picture.

This was taken on a D200 with a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 lens wide open.

im6.jpg

what lighting did you use for that jewbagel? that ring light? where can i get something like that? haha looks really soft and nice

I used an Alien Bees ring light for those shots. The fact that I was a foot or two away for those shots helped make it look really soft. Build quality isn't amazing, but the power and aesthetics are way better than anything I could've come up with myself. You can also get a softbox for it, and basically use it like a normal strobe.

I read that page and in looking at the photos I cannot tell the difference. +rep if you can evaluate the bokeh in this photo below that I've posted quite a few pages ago. I recognize its your opinion, but if you could back it up with what specifically you see in the picture.

im6.jpg

This was taken on a D200 with a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 lens wide open.

Well with a f/2.8, there isn't a lot out of focus, but if you look at the highlights on the sax and the guy in the mid-ground's left cuff, you can see some harshness on the outer edge of the blur. I mean it's not really noticeable unless you are looking at it, but its pretty evident looking at the highlights on the sax. I was going to magnify on the sax, but the resolution on the web pix aren't high enough to blow-up, but it's there

Jewbagel, pruple: great stuff

Diamonds: can't tell if the lens or if the film asa is too high, but your prints are not very sharp. Some shots interesting, I like the night-street shot and the one with the hands the most.

I know I have been giving a lot of criticism lately, but when I get the chance, I will scan some film or prints for everyone to look at

not sure what the problem is either... i dont know enough about film yet... but i also had them scanned at a sort of crappy photolab and the resolution / quality of the pictures was really really terrible

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6927/00680010ny9.jpg

could be shakey cam too

thats how my scans are.. every negative i get scanned always ends up looking weird, so i have to go back and fix it. and it doesnt always turn out like the print would look like.