that's just good photography.

Joelz' shot for example is a simple shot that relied on good composition and using the natural light (I assume) to his advantage... Sure its just a dog in front of the wall.. But it works in his image because its balanced and sharp and everything else a good image should be....

clear, crisp - rich colors. very well lit - nothing looks washed out. i like that everything is in the forefront (narrow aperture?) joelz looks like it's in a studio or some shit.

sorry to dredge this up / look like i'm just repeating compliments of my own talents but I fully missed these over the weekend/past few days i guess. also: i'm pre-apologizing for rambling without a point

swanny - thanks

Dex_star - you're right, it was just a particularly well-lit at the right time

So, the_state, I think the hardest thing about photography (at least when you aren't shooting in a studio) is being in the right place at the right time, or more importantly knowing how to look at things the right way at the right time. I'm not doing anything crazy with my camera, but I think there have been some great resources posted here, namely:

The best thing you can do is go out and shoot, a lot. You're going to get some shit, but you'll get some good shots, and those are the ones you keep.

The best thing you can do is go out and shoot, a lot. You're going to get some shit, but you'll get some good shots, and those are the ones you keep.

Definitely

Someone said...

What make a good photographer?

Not showing your bad work...

... or something like that

just bought my first roll of tri-x 400. everyone says its awesome, and that its THE black and white film. but we'll see..

any experiences with it here?

just bought my first roll of tri-x 400. everyone says its awesome, and that its THE black and white film. but we'll see..

any experiences with it here?

Yup. It's pretty much the standard for 400 speed. extremely sharp stuff..

If you want to shoot in low-light you can push the tri-x of course, but I also recommend Fuji Neopan 1600. That is some smooooth film. This shot below is Neopan 1600.

5000987_5a9476c2aa.jpg