I heard the 16-35mm f2.8 L mk2 is meant to be a lot better than the first one so it may be worth looking into that if you're looking for a wide lens. The 24mm f1.4 L isn't too great on the edges and corners...

Thats not true. Its great for a lens that wide and smoke all the zooms as far as IQ goes. Don't take my word for it

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_24_14/index.htm

From F 2 thru 5.6 it even smokes the ultra sharp 35 1.4L and smokes all the zooms.

Heres a few things to look at

IMG_4705.jpg

Taken with a full frame camera...

Heres a couple WIDE OPEN.

IMG_6050cropped.jpg

Focus on this one was on the left side of the first E

IMG_6049.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

Focus was on the phone handle. Not bad for being near the edge.

IMG_6038.jpg

damn man, how many fucking L primes do u have? holy shit, I need that 85/1.2L as soon as I go FF...

I love L-shaped bokeh!!!!

damn man, how many fucking L primes do u have? holy shit, I need that 85/1.2L as soon as I go FF...

I love L-shaped bokeh!!!!

I only own three lenses.

85 1.2

35 1.4

24 1.4

They're all three outstanding lenses. The one I couldn't live without because I could probably shoot everything with it if I had to on FF is the 35 but the 85 is probably my favorite.

photographing some insects i bought off ebay from thailand for a project at school. rest of pictures of the bugs are on the computer at school.

5d with cheapy canon 50mm macro i borrowed from a friend who works at a camera store. trying to get the 100mm though, 50mm is a pain in the ass on FF.

Sternocera_Aeguisignata_side.jpg

Sternocera_Aeguisignata_front.jpg

I just bought the 35mm f2 for my xti, I will let you know how it is. I hear it's super sharp for a non l lens, and that's why i bought it.

I just got it today, took a couple of test shots, and the sharpness is better on the prime, but negligible. They were both shot one stop down from wide open on a tripod.

oh well, at least I have a prime now, freaking hate zooms :)

Figure out if you want to go a little wider or a little tighter, save up a couple hundred more dollars and get either the 28mm 1.8 or the 20mm 2.8. Trust me.

I'm looking at getting the 28 1.8 how is it? I heard good things but i never know what to trust.

I've been shooting the 20 2.8 and i've been moderately happy with it but i'm looking for something a little tighter.

I'm looking at getting the 28 1.8 how is it? I heard good things but i never know what to trust.

I've been shooting the 20 2.8 and i've been moderately happy with it but i'm looking for something a little tighter.

I love the 28. I shoot it on a MKII (so roughly a 35mm after conversion) and the 20mm on a 20D (also roughly a 35mm). The 28 is a tiny bit sharper but the 20 has noticeably faster autofocus. Also, the 28 works much better for verticals, with none of the ugly distortion that a 20 brings.

Those insect pictures are pretty fucking cool

Airfrog, thanks for the lens run down.