1430808657_dd654f36d6_o.jpg

thats definitely some Ansel Adams shit. thats an amazing shot totally_epic, might make you a pretty penny if you can find a magazine or paper to pick it up.. but thats just a thought. its beautiful. i'd make an entire wall of my room this image if i could.

Carl your pictures remind me of some of Larry Clarks earlier stuff from his photo books before he did film. I think its probably because he used the same kind of subjects.

ahahaha carls posting photos of cheerleaders and football and you compared him to larry clark. Are you sure you mean larry clark?

Carl, Thats awesome about your photos they're not the typical sports shots and i was curious bc i could see some papers not liking them but thats awesome that its working out, congrats.

canoscan 8400f, god's gift to photo students. it's a flatbed that costs $90 and does negatives, positives, whatevers. it comes with 4-5 different filmholders but i just use a piece of plexi so i can get the borders too.

hm, might have to check for one of these...my scanner sucks and I'd like to scan negative too.

For anyone interested a new coffee table book is coming out soon. Its called Legendary Route 66 by Michael Karl Witzel and Gyvel Young-Witzel. Its a large coffee table book and there are three of my photographs in it. It just came in the mail Friday from the author so I don't think its in book stores yet. I have photos on page 27, 166 and 229.

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Route-66-Journey-Americas/dp/0760329788/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4895564-6358827?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191355457&sr=1-1

Anyone have advice when working with models? How to get them less camera shy and comfortable?

How about when working with nude models? How do you get them to be comfortable when you yourself aren't?

Music...find out what they like and play it

Touch...not perv style, but a gentle hand on shoulder, knee, etc can do wonders

When talking to a model kneel down...the position of you being lower allows them to feel more comfortable and confident

Laugh alot

Make jokes

Make fun of yourself and them...basically anything to ease the mood

Always show them the pictures on the back of the screen

Alcohol and food

Be as genuine as possible

Just made my new purchase, a [modest] leap into the digital world.

d40oy7.jpg

Does anyone know if there're anything major I should look out v. shooting film? I noticed I don't take as much effort in my compositions now that I know I'm not wasting film, but besides that, any more tips?

Also, any flash recommendations?

very good advice carly.

Does anyone have any raw conversion secrets or tips etc, also what do you use to convert? I thought this might be a good little subtopic to start.

my only one is to sharpen after and only use the conversion tools for tonality and color. anyone else?

I use Digital photo professional but i dont' really like it much. I need adobe raw.

Does anyone have any raw conversion secrets or tips etc, also what do you use to convert? I thought this might be a good little subtopic to start.

my only one is to sharpen after and only use the conversion tools for tonality and color. anyone else?

I use Digital photo professional but i dont' really like it much. I need adobe raw.

PSCS2 with the raw convertor.

My general rule of thumb...

Shadows = 15

Brightness = anywhere from 70-120

Contrast = 35

Curve = Strong Contrast

This is for an outdoor picture with sunlight (basically the easiest to tone). Ill do a layer mask for anything else that is giving me trouble (basically opening between two and a gazillion versions of the same raw image, squashing them together, and then history brushing in the details you want...painless, fast, and much more ethical then toning just one file)

* Use Alt/Cmd when making changes to the slider because you can see if you've clipped shadows or highlights

* Get to know how to use curves, and do it in ACR

* Sharpen in Photoshop because you can mask out things you don't want sharp

* In CS3: open RAW files as Smart Objects, so you can change the RAW settings later without re-opening the file