my friend let me borrow his d70 so i've been adjusting to digital, it's a lot of fun.

does anybody know a good, free alternative to photoshop? i don't really need all of photoshop's crazy features but i hear so much about levels and curves and about using them to somewhat repair botched exposures, seems like useful stuff.

n1082790090_30015559_2751.jpg

n1082790090_30015560_3030.jpg

n1082790090_30015558_2477.jpg

n1082790090_30015605_8380.jpg

n1082790090_30015600_6471.jpg

So next Friday I'll be shooting a concert, high school type concert. And I'm on a 50mm f/1.8, don't have any other lense except stock and I want to avoid useing it, as quality is really bad on it. I'm assuming I won't be able to move much, any tips/advice? (Nikon D80 w/SB-600 Speedlight with Whaletail diffuser)

Actually, I'm going to rent a 70-200.

I don't know what the assignment was, but I would find more interesting subject matter, first and foremost.

I feel that right now those photos only look good because they were taken with a nice camera -- they don't really deliver anything past that.

Anyone can learn how to use a camera well and be able to take "high quality" photos with it. It takes skill to be able to seek out genuinely interesting subject matter, and then finding an effective way to capture it.

As i remember correctly, the guy broke free...my next frame is the guy with his arms barely wrapped around for the missed tackle.

A few more for the hell of it (this would never run, so someone should see it!)...some gorgeous light at a rather mundane assignment...

495tjqh.jpg

4u11tv8.jpg

52zoyza.jpg

4kf9b81.jpg

6gvd4c1.jpg

5z5bokn.jpg

53sdlat.jpg

4z41jjk.jpg

I always like your shots like that, Carl. Is this 'exposing for highlights'? My camera's aperture priority so I don't have easy direct control on the shutter speed (I know how to manipulate it, but not the same) so I'm assuming there it would've chosen something real slow. Did you have to photoshop alot for the rich black?