i was originally taking this as a waywt, but i thought of it much as a piece of portraiture...

was thinking about how the waywt seems to be inherently descriptive in nature [what are you wearing today?] vs the somewhat expository purpose of portraits. what frame of mind are you in when you guys in when you shoot portraits? Carl, corter, airfrog, etc...

1830585784_6d7d866115_o.jpg

I like #2. You have that wonderful yellow curved line and the yellow light off to the right just off center and the blue light. I really like the two strong primary colors (yellow & blue). Its a nice image...

Thanks, this is the photo that my professor liked the most also. He helped me edit it to bring out the yellow and sharpen up the darker sections of the track so the detail is more visible, but I don't have that version on my comp.

Man, is that the Astor Place station? I love that place.

edit: I saw the tiles. Oh well. Go photograph that place for me.

Actually, that's the 7 line train in Grand Central. I took some interesting shots of the train at West 4th street also, but overall I think the curve in this shot is a lot more interesting.

i was originally taking this as a waywt, but i thought of it much as a piece of portraiture...

was thinking about how the waywt seems to be inherently descriptive in nature [what are you wearing today?] vs the somewhat expository purpose of portraits. what frame of mind are you in when you guys in when you shoot portraits? Carl, corter, airfrog, etc...

1830585784_6d7d866115_o.jpg

For me I try to capture something true in my portraits. Some insight into who is being photographed. Not the way I want them or they way they wished they looked but the way they really are. For me the biggest compliment is when someone says "thats so and so; you really captured a piece of them, who they really are." That way of shooting can sometimes go against the commercial thought process which would be to try and make everyone look as good as you can make them; whatever that flavor is this year. It changes...

Theres nothing wrong with that type of portraiture and I have to eat so I do it when I have to but my serious portraits are to satisfy the most demanding client and thats me and the ones I take seriously are the honest ones.

dear carl,

i apologize for my childishness, and would like to say that you do take very beautiful photographs. i no longer hate you. please introduce me to adriana lima once you become famous.

love,

RED

dum on the other hand, can burn in hell.

Carl, regarding your eastern KY photos, have you look through Doris Ulmann's photographs of Appalachia from the early 30s? Lot of pictures are from around Hazard, KY.

Some more of my macro shots, managed to get my hands on the 100mm Macro, really nice lens.

bugs_01.jpg

bugs_02.jpg

bugs_03.jpg

it depends for me, and I think it comes out in photographs. My best portraits come from people I know, theres a connection there that doesn't come out in normal "hi, i'm mr. lawyer and i need a head shot" photos. I'm usually thinking 4 miles a minutes when I shoot clients, so when i'm shooting friends it's like a vacation and we usually end up with something much deeper than anything like a headshot or school photo.

technically speaking, I like shooting film more than digittal, and I usually shoot film available light or reflectors and keep flash to digital (i think they work well that way). i like using soft expressions, because i like to create an all around experience where I can express what i want, the subject can come through, but the viewer can also have some space to come to their own conclusions about the piece.

i guess thats it, if you want the textbook answer it'd be "rule of thirds, lighting ratios, soft light and smiles" but...dunno...never works for me

Damn... damn.

I lost my shit.

Ive got alot to reply to in this thread (all in good time) but this is something special.

Renee is a good friend of mine, someone i consider a mentor, and to know that people are appreciating her work means the world to me. This story and how hard she worked on it is a testament to the power of photography. If you ever get the chance to see her speak, jump on it. It's an emotional experince to say the least. She explains the in's and out's of everything. The emotional stress, how she and the mother are now the best of friends, just everything...its amazing. Im gonna e-mail her tonight and tell her that someone posted about this, it'll crack her up.

Thank you diewhitegirls for sharing that link. If anyone is interested i might start a seperate thread devoted to showing long term stories/multimedia projects such as these.

Ive got alot to reply to in this thread (all in good time) but this is something special.

Renee is a good friend of mine, someone i consider a mentor, and to know that people are appreciating her work means the world to me. This story and how hard she worked on it is a testament to the power of photography. If you ever get the chance to see her speak, jump on it. It's an emotional experince to say the least. She explains the in's and out's of everything. The emotional stress, how she and the mother are now the best of friends, just everything...its amazing. Im gonna e-mail her tonight and tell her that someone posted about this, it'll crack her up.

Thank you diewhitegirls for sharing that link. If anyone is interested i might start a seperate thread devoted to showing long term stories/multimedia projects such as these.

yes please.

I think I might've posted that some pages back, but doesn't matter. that especially with the captions made me lose my shit as well, again.

Sorry...I don't read this post all that often.

Carl, definitely show some of that. I've seen some great stuff so far (my personal favorite was a group of 20-somethings that lived on the railways) and I'd love to see more.