Evisu is still loved!

benzak

I was last there 5 years ago, prices were fine and like any holiday they're only expensive as you can make them. A plus at the moment is the UK/JPY rate has just about recovered to a 5yr high.

any joy in finding them? i would love to visit sometime but I think i would blow all my conkers on jap denim!

You may get arrested for that or at least have to clear up the mess and pay for damages!

it is most certainly a country i must visit - mixed reports on how expensive it is to take a 2 week break. A mate of mine went skiing to Japan from the UK and said it really wasn't that much more than London prices.

It's a mark of respect!  :P  :D

Those look nice, where did ya pick those up?

From Japanese collector ...a friend. Still not yet wear this jeans ,turn to be my collection now :D

Just been in evisu boxpark and word on the street is it's closing down in about three weeks! Evisu are looking to open up a shop in covent garden the guy in there said to me! Around August time he thought it could be.

Well, you got at least a few stores (superdenim, iron heart, aeroleather, rivet and hide, and for sure some others) in the UK plus DC4, Tenue des Nimes and all the other mainland shops.

But I found that even the opportunity of european shops makes me want to buy in japan. It adds to the magic and I don't have to pay insane prices (if I'm lucky). And I don't want apanese denim become the new trend by a wide ability too.

Finally, I think, japanese brands are run differently than we think. Trust and personal contact means a lot to them. You can't often not simply ask to be their distributer but have to work hard on getting their trust. Sometimes they request a real shop, not just an online store (that means a lot more cost of course). And if they charge the dirstributers the same prices as their distributers in Japan (and why shouldn't they) and you add tax +marge you end up with such high prices as we see today, sugar cane being one of the top examples. So, if you count in the private buyer's chance of avoiding tax, you will not be very competitive against stores as and-japan or rakuten ones. Conclusion: I figure it very difficult to run a succesful japanese denim store in europe, besides the existing ones.

Edited by Max Power

Why is it so difficult to buy japanese denim in the UK and beyond? quite clearly a market is established for it - i just can't understand why 

The last shop I know who tried in the UK, Kiosk 78, ultimately failed although they moved away from selling Japanese selvage denim pretty quickly.

When they started, they sold SDA, FH, Warehouse and Skull denim but I was told that the margins on selling those brands was so low that they were never gonna get rich just by selling them.

I think also import duties weren't helping, but I got the distinct impression that the Japanese themselves weren't exactly providing financial incentives to sell their wares either.

And the truth is, I don't think the wider market is out there for the kind of stuff that we all like on this forum, especially now a number of brands are making their jeans in the UK or US or wherever (still out of Japanese denim, though) and selling them alongside their other lines at wholesale prices that retailers will find a lot more attractive.

Albam in the UK do a decent pair of English-made jeans (no chainstitch though, although most people don't give a flying fuck about details like that) and when you can pick up a pair of the Unbranded jeans in the UK for £65 then retailers ain't gonna bother with low margins on goods from Japan that appeal to a limited market.

Han Kjobenhavn are using a sweet 17oz green-caste denim at the moment that you don't find elsewhere (it's similar in colour to the Brown Box denim but heavier on the hand) and I chose to buy a pair of those at the weekend because I could try them on in person, rather than faff around with proxies and whatnot because the Japanese stuff isn't available here.

But we are in the minority here, and you gotta resign yourself to using minority outlets to feed the habit, because the mainstream will always find its own path that, for purists, might not be one they agree with...

Son of Stag still sells the well known Japanese brands (AFAIK). Although with a big mark-up.

And weren't there rumors about Self Edge opening a store in London? Or I was just dreaming.

But then, I own over 20 pairs of jeans of which I only bought 1 in a local shop after trying them on (DC4, great shop). It isn't really that hard to get Japanese jeans if you really want to.

Pretty much agree with all of the above from everybody....

I was in son of a stag on Monday.....the store is amazing for sure. And they do sell well known japanese brands as b_f points out. They sell Fullcount, SDA, and Momotaro to name a few. This is to my knowledge the only place in the UK where you can get all this range under one roof.

The downside as said above is that to get any kind of margin on them to make some decent cash means the price is high. At £299 for some fullcounts probably is the only and best price in London but it can't compete with about $300 (shipped) from and-japan if my memory serves me right.

Secondly you get no red tab.....and on a pair of fullcounts I'd kinda say its a must have detail for me.

And if self-edge open a London store that would be exciting....where was this mentioned?

There were plans on the Internet for a Self Edge shop in London (Covent Garden I think - you may still be able to Google them). When I asked Kiya about them, he said it was just for a student's project and there were no actual plans to open a shop in London.

I think Max Power's answer is spot on in terms of doing business with the Japanese denim industry and pricing structure/considerations. He's obviously been speaking to those chaos at DC4.

Besides, I love communicating with the Japanese. It's part of the fun, and frankly I'd sooner go as direct as is possible.

Fair point tbh, I love wearing denims like evisu.jp because no one else has them. It's exclusive to those who can be bothered to persue getting them.

Maybe we are better off not having loads of places to pick the gear up after all..

Totally unfamiliar with the brand…can someone recommend me a relaxed fit with a bit of a taper and the best place to order from--or proxy--if I reside outside Japan?

2001 no. 1, maybe?

Edited by TresUnCool

The 2001 is a relaxed fit so your on target there.

Only way of getting them really is via proxy service like sharpservice for example or sutocorp.

Thanks.

I used google translate and when I came to the lengthening option, they were all too short except for the "length up" option. Does this mean "un-hemmed"?

Maybe Eddie can hook up a proxy.

Edited by TresUnCool

I am trying to buy a pair of the MIJ Evisu No.1 or No.2 jeans and came across this on Rakuten:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/frisbee/item/10001629/

Has anyone had experience with these guys and if so, are they reliable? I live in America and really want a pair of the MIJ denim but do not want to have to go to Japan to get them.