What are your jeans doing today?

ninetynine

TG - so happy that you found Mr. Right, and we know he flies you all over the place -but the question is - what kind of denim does he wear ?

hes a geek about many things, but not jeans... yet

he wears levis, i reckon i can get him into some andiwhalls cause hes into supporting local enterprises

Lovely photos, Riff, TG and Z... making tables and cupcakes all in one day is good multitasking...

Up early and out of London to a place just outside St Albans. It's the De Havilland museum, famous as one of the oldest British aircraft manufacturers. One of their most most successful planes was this one:

Mosquito.jpg

THe De Havilland Mosquito: made out of wood, which meant many of the sections could be produced by furniture manufacturers. In my basement I have a 30s chair by Parker Knoll - during the war, they turned out Mosquitos, too. THey were such successful, fast planes that if any Luftwaffe pilot managed to shoot one down, they'd be counted as two kills.

the story of the company is touched by tragedy. Geoffrey De Havilland lost one of his sons a 1943 plane crash; the second son, Geoffrey Jr was a hugely respected test pilot - he helped develop this plane, the Vampire, a tiny, elegant jet that first flew in 1943.

Vampire.jpg

Around 1947, they developed a new swept wing plane using many of the same sections -Goeffrey Jr died in it, attempting to break the sound barrier. His body was pulled out of the THames near Whitstable, a place I've featured on another wayjdt. With him gone, the company lost its direction and was eventually sold - although the Nimrod, the RAF's main AWACS plane, is based on one of their designs.

That Vampire, like the Mosquito, was - incredibly - mainly made of plywood.

Wood.jpg

The company also made executive transport planes - I think this one is called the Dove,made in 1961. Note the groovy seat and bulkhead decoration. What's cool about tiny museums like this is that it's run by enthusiasts, and you can sit in the planes themselves. THey also had a very cool Horsa glider, which is what transported many of the airborne troops for the Normandy landings.

Executivejet.jpg

Denim photo: gap selvage shirt (hardly vis), LVC cotton duck closed-front jumper, LVC 1955, Tricker's.

Cottonduck55two.jpg

Juist around the corner is a manor house, apparently used by several royals including King Charles II; according to local legend he installed his mistress, Nell Gwynne, in a cottage here. Charles had many bastard children, most of whom were given titles, and whose descendants sit in the House Of Lords today...

NellGwynnescottage.jpg

We stopped in St Albans itself for coffee and milkshakes. The town was built mainly by the Romans, then became a religious centre and, I read, a centre for the Peasant Revolt in 1349. The Abbey is pretentious and Victorian from the front, but from this side you can see it's plain and purposeful, almost like Roman engineering brick-based architecture, and I would guess dates from 1100-1200.

Abbey.jpg

it was beautiful and quiet, if a bit cold, on this Sunday morning. Very peaceful around the graveyard, till we all played a chasing game, 4040home... I didn't win, out of practice...

gravestone.jpg

Finally... anyone who's seen my previous posts will know that, unlike almostnice who obviously has an alcohol problem, I rarely let such substances pass my lips. So... despite this, it was down to the new brewery that's opened on an old site, round the corner from me.

Hospital Porter: 8.5 percent. Behind it, the THames. And my lovely family...

Beer-1.jpg

Back home for dinner... on the way back, broad daylight, an urban fox. THey get cheekier and cheekier. Do you have them in the US? Tonight is bin night.. SOmetimes I think these creatures know what area puts out their bins on what night... If anyone's silly enough to leave any food in theirs, guaranteed that fella will be feasting tonight.

Have a great evening...

foxy.jpg

My friend and I went to a flea market and then goodwill where I bought a trombone and this awesome overcoat, my friend bought a trench coat and wore it over shorts so it looked like he wasn't wearing pants. Still dressed this way we picked up our unknowing girlfriends and went to see another friend in an improv comedy show (they took most of my themes including a knife fight, russian roulette and vampires in starbucks) after that we went out for chicken and waffles. My DH 17.5 cms had almost as much fun as I did.

Here I am with my friend Merlin:

photo-1.jpg

Lazy Sunday.

Breakfast.

IMG_9645.jpg

IMG_9638.jpg

mix

IMG_9650.jpg

Washed our jeans... B ended up wearing my jins around (boots too) our place after they had dried because they actually "smelt good in awhile ".

IMG_96ew85.jpg

IMG_9688.jpg

IMG_9679.jpg

Felt it.:)

IMG_9676.jpg

Had dinner . We'll sleep good tonight.

Riff- wanna give me a little trim too? I'm getting a bit hairy.

-Z-: you're damn right we want a walk-through! That space looks rad!

Satya: HAH! Boat Shoes in the Office on a Sunday club? Founding members: Satya and dkatz.

Paul: awesome, thorough history, as always!

Farmer: that photo of you and the lady is insultingly adorable. Get a room. Better yet, get a house. OH WAIT... you already did!

Tonight my jeans are up 'til 2am working. Again. Probably at around ~100 hours' work in the past week.

Finished the survey, working on the survey-manual

Enumerator training next week.

Baseline survey of 2900 respondents in 4 corners of Uganda starts the week after that, and runs for 3 weeks.

So much shit needs to get done by Monday. It gives me the shakes. Many long, long days ahead.

My jeans are playing the game: How Many Days Can Dkatz Go Without a Full Night's Sleep?

Short answer is that I do "research". Slightly longer answer: I work for an international organization that conducts impact assessments of development projects. We basically link academics (mostly economists from top American universities) with implementing development organizations around the world. We'll partner with local NGOs, international NGOs (such as the World Bank), local government, microfinance banks, or any other organization that wants to conduct some sort of development project, and we will design and implement a project with them that allows us to conduct an academically rigorous evaluation of whether it works - usually using randomized controlled trials as an experimental method.

So I was hired to run 2 of these projects on the ground here in Uganda. And most of the time I am an absolute fucking head-case with stress! Workin' my ass off...

From a handful of pages ago... not being bitchy, just lazy ;)

Today my jeans worked with the enumerator team leaders on establishing final sampling frame inclusions and contact information for respondents.

IMG_0925.jpg

My jeans also took a moment to appreciate that America at least manages to use it's tax dollars well enough to have roads that are not lakes.

IMG_0922.jpg

And now my jeans suffering on me as I write the survey manual, which must explain in depth every single one of the 250 questions on the survey I've developed. 1:00 AM, just finished the explanation for question 143...

Edit: I really hope that's just fish-eyey-esque distortion at the edges of the frame, and my face isn't actually that drawn.

IMG_0929.jpg

My jeans are considering brewing Cup of Coffee #5.

alright, here is a walkthrough of the new loft!

Excuse my tired / random commentary during the vid, it was late at night filming this...

ba04nXXN8Oo

its kinda long. so you can skip through the beginning, all I'm doing is walking down the hallway to our loft. (real footage begins at around 1:00 in...)

hope you enjoy it. and if you're ever in minneapolis, stop in and we'll have a drink.

Dude, -Z- that place is terrific! How does your daughter like it, though? It doesn't seem super kid-friendly (all hard corners and floors... I woulda torn myself up on that shit as a kid!).

Congrats though, quite a score!

I have a video of my flat here that I sent to family. Unfortunately the internet usually isn't solid enough to upload videos.

She's going on 3, so she can be pretty reckless at times, but she is pretty careful indoors, no major accidents yet. There's a park close by for her to really let loose at.

Yup they're heated floors so no worries there!