Left Field Jeans

scotty2

Hey everyone,

I heard about the Sweatpant contest from /r/rawdenim on reddit and it sounded pretty cool so I joined. I guess I'm a Left Field fanboy now since I already have the Nisshinbo jean and the Cone Duck jean. I'm really liking the sweatpants so far, very comfortable. I can't wait to see how everyone's sweats progresses. I hope you all enjoy them and best of luck with the contest!

Here are some pictures I took last weekend:

Excuse the diaper butt :sad:

Nice fit, ESE.  Can't wait to see everyones fits/introductions.  I got one of the unwashed pairs, and did a wash myself last night.  Ended up losing about an inch and half from the inseam which was good for me.  I forgot to peek inside the washer midwash, but comparing against the unwashed pairs they look pretty similar to me.  If anything, some more electric blues popping through.

@EmperorSelassieEye  Love the fit on yours.  It makes me want to shrink mine. The 1.5-2 in of inseam shrinkage would really help me out.  Maybe an inside out cold water soak with a hot dry would not have much indigo loss.

I think they look good with the stacking - I mean obviously you'll have to wash them eventually, but I wouldn't be too concerned if my unwashed fit looked like that!

Sidenote - is anyone going to try to leave them unwashed the whole year??

Edited by pepper davies

I'm definitely getting excited to pick my pair up from Satchel when he gets them. Any idea how many pairs have been sold for this contest so far?

Whoops sorry to double post, but I missed this.

We are currently at around ~25.  I need to talk to Satchel so we can get BlackBlue's pairs out ASAP, but we have some reserved over here for you cats that want to make your purchase locally in St. Paul.

@EmperorSelassieEye  Love the fit on yours.  It makes me want to shrink mine. The 1.5-2 in of inseam shrinkage would really help me out.  Maybe an inside out cold water soak with a hot dry would not have much indigo loss.

pn2Jw9ll.jpg

@zenrunner

I like your fit too. I dig the mad the stacks. I don't think a cold soak would have too much indigo loss. I'm tempted to do my first soak at the end of April but I'll see how I feel.

Sidenote - is anyone going to try to leave them unwashed the whole year??

i'm at about 3 months on my sweatshirt. i'll try to hold off as long as possible. 

i'm sending you an email right now.

Just got my sweats in the mail, and my hands were already indigo stained after just unpacking them and putting them on! Snapped a quick pre-wash fit pic and tossed them in the wash for a cold wash (no soap), in order to make them wearable without staining everything I come into contact with.. Still deciding how I want to dry them, I don't really want them any slimmer but I wouldn't care if I lost an inch or two of length - any thoughts?

Also, got the duck chinos and they fit a bit slimmer than I thought they would (size 32, kerouac fit). I need a bit more room in the thighs, so I'm either going to exchange them for a 33 in the kerouac or a 32 in the miner -  the deciding factor will be how much they would shrink with a cold wash or soak. Anybody have any advice?

Just got my sweats in the mail, and my hands were already indigo stained after just unpacking them and putting them on! Snapped a quick pre-wash fit pic and tossed them in the wash for a cold wash (no soap), in order to make them wearable without staining everything I come into contact with.. 

Can you comment on the indigo loss from the cold wash?

new to superfuture. in on the sweatpant contest. will post fit pics soon. 

christian, we gonna get any indigo dyed miners anytime soon? the sticklers at my work wont let me wear denim. ive gotten away with the indigo cone mills miners (a la "out in left field" contest) for the last 6 months but ive beaten them to shit. im gonna need a new pair in the next few months. 

Just got my sweats in the mail, and my hands were already indigo stained after just unpacking them and putting them on! Snapped a quick pre-wash fit pic and tossed them in the wash for a cold wash (no soap), in order to make them wearable without staining everything I come into contact with.. Still deciding how I want to dry them, I don't really want them any slimmer but I wouldn't care if I lost an inch or two of length - any thoughts?

Also, got the duck chinos and they fit a bit slimmer than I thought they would (size 32, kerouac fit). I need a bit more room in the thighs, so I'm either going to exchange them for a 33 in the kerouac or a 32 in the miner -  the deciding factor will be how much they would shrink with a cold wash or soak. Anybody have any advice?

I wear a 32 in the duck miners. I didn't wash mine for the first 4 months. Did a luke warm hand wash with a cold rinse. Shrunk around 5% at most. A little more than sanforized raw denim but not by much.  Stretched back out pretty quickly. Inseam was the only thing really affected. Thighs were pretty much the same after a day or two. Fades did shift though.  

Go with the miner cut. It's nice having some breathing room around your junk and the fuller look through the leg is 'en vogue'

Edited by Stan Rae

Can you comment on the indigo loss from the cold wash?

I didn't notice any at all - I think the indigo that was rubbing off was just excess, not fully soaked into the fibers. They look the exact same but now they're not staining anything I sit on or touch, which is nice. I went with a cold wash (no detergent) and a tumble dry, then laid them out very slightly damp to finish drying. They seemed a bit tighter, but i gave the thighs a few quick tugs to stretch them back and they fit perfectly now. Maybe a bit shorter and slimmer through the calf which is exactly what I would've wanted. Honestly the perfect sweats, it'll be a pleasure wearing these for the next year. Post wash and "official" fit pics coming tomorrow.

I wear a 32 in the duck miners. I didn't wash mine for the first 4 months. Did a luke warm hand wash with a cold rinse. Shrunk around 5% at most. A little more than sanforized raw denim but not by much.  Stretched back out pretty quickly. Inseam was the only thing really affected. Thighs were pretty much the same after a day or two. Fades did shift though.  

Go with the miner cut. It's nice having some breathing room around your junk and the fuller look through the leg is 'en vogue'

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm leaning towards the miners now, for the better fitting thighs without sacrificing fit in the waist - I'm around a true waist of 30-31 but I always have to size up for my thighs if I want anything slim-ish from the knees down.

WAYFT(What are you fading today) Saturday morning edition

mcPDB3c.jpg

Do I get bonus points for having the Left Field skull as my carrier logo?

3LCztgl.png

Having just picked up a pair of these in small, I am thoroughly impressed with the weight and depth of color in the fabric. Looking forward to hot wash/drying them in a month or so. This contest is going to be great to see all the variation with how people wear/wash/dry an indigo dyed fabric of a softer quality than denim. 

12699059794_e60882273a_o.jpg

Is that a picture of the water you used to soak those? ;)

Ha no it would be indgo for sure! I feel like Tobias when I take a shower though.2x01_The_One_Where_Michael_Leaves_%28094

I have a feeling that New Balance will be getting some serious reps with this contest.  I have a pair I like but that I almost never wear.  Just don't like the look w/ jeans.  But NBs and sweats are a pretty unbeatable comfort combo.  I'll definitely be pairing em up.

My sweatshirt dye is in a stage of "service blue" right now (as in, "Knock knock, hello I'm here to spray for bugs" blue).  For contestants I recommend sticking to it during this color phase because at the same time my points of contrast are really starting to blanche out.

Pepper Davies what are your thoughts on Thorogood?  I have some work boots by them, a demo pair from Nokomis Shoe in exchange for feedback on worthiness-for-work.  The leather however is not that great...it's the Crazy Horse finish.  They're actually great boots and I've been thinking about getting a black pair.  The black leather model is really nice.  My only gripe is the upper speed laces...bah.  Wish they were just eyelets.

Edited by jyoni

My sweatshirt dye is in a stage of "service blue" right now (as in, "Knock knock, hello I'm here to spray for bugs" blue).  For contestants I recommend sticking to it during this color phase because at the same time my points of contrast are really starting to blanche out.

Pepper Davies what are your thoughts on Thorogood?  I have some work boots by them, a demo pair from Nokomis Shoe in exchange for feedback on worthiness-for-work.  The leather however is not that great...it's the Crazy Horse finish.  They're actually great boots and I've been thinking about getting a black pair.  The black leather model is really nice.  My only gripe is the upper speed laces...bah.  Wish they were just eyelets.

These are the ones I have: http://www.postaluniformsdirect.com/closeup.asp?cid=40&pid=223&offset=0

Christian has a pair of the horsehide boots, and for the price they seem like a great choice.  His are pretty beat up and look great, but in my opinion don't compare to Whites/Viberg.  The postal sneakers are pretty cool.  I'm trying to buy fairly priced made in USA stuff as often as possible, and they look pretty good..  Like you said - leather isn't so nice, but they work as beaters.

These are the ones I have: http://www.postaluniformsdirect.com/closeup.asp?cid=40&pid=223&offset=0

Christian has a pair of the horsehide boots, and for the price they seem like a great choice.  His are pretty beat up and look great, but in my opinion don't compare to Whites/Viberg.  The postal sneakers are pretty cool.  I'm trying to buy fairly priced made in USA stuff as often as possible, and they look pretty good..  Like you said - leather isn't so nice, but they work as beaters.

That store dropped Red Wing because of pricing.  They would never carry ridiculously superb boots for that same reason.  The Thorogoods have been perfectly servicable but for a nice robust boot the black is the only material with a nice hand.

(An unofficial 1st Comp post)

A little look...

Worn for about 3 hrs yesterday an a couple & a few hours today too.

DwI5ywH.png

Colour is quite accurate (iPhone 4S HDR - Indoor)

These had a 40 Degree delicate cycle machine wash - air dried.

A little tightening but overall not much shrinkage.

I might cold soak and hot dry them as the waistband is quite loose - I sized up to a large.

Snapped a quick fit pic of the Kuroki Greasers.  Thanks again Satch for the help.  That Gitman top is so swaggy I can barely stand it.  Corduroy man, corduroy.  Now for the ultimate existential dilemma: fat cuff like in the pic or two rolls and a smaller cuff? 

zki9bu3.jpg