Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

I ordered a pair last week, and Ande was not only incredibly helpful and friendly,* but also amazingly fast to get the pair I ordered (SR3 Cobras) made and shipped.

And now, I wait. I suck at waiting.

Here's hoping these fair better against the bicycle than my last pair did...

*Serious understatement here. Immensely amiable guy.

Anybody got details on the new SR?

Seems to be identical the first Wakefield Hotel run, though that's not been 100% confirmed.

When I asked Ande himself about it, he said the following:

"The SR3 denim will be slightly more durable than the regular line denim, it's heavier and has quite a tight weave."

^This. I've a pair of the Caribous and I would say it's a slim regular fit, as you have already deduced. The rise and thigh measurements are what steered me toward them. I think it's a more flattering fit for guys who prefer regular cuts.

Cool. I'm normally one to buy slim fits, but it seems that Ande's run a bit slimmer than others. As an average sized dude, I wanted something that would fit well, but I wasn't entirely sure if I'd be swimming in the Caribou's or not.

"*Serious understatement here. Immensely amiable guy."

^Truth!

I'd tend to agree with Ande's cuts being fairly slim - just bought a pair of Mustangs and they were certainly very slim (particularly around the thigh) to begin with. The pics are on the previous page of this thread.

I will add that they have stretched out a fair bit after the soak (I wore them damp for a couple of hours too) and now fit really well (pretty similar to my Levi 511s) - that's after only about 3 days of wear.

Will post more fit pics in about a week's time when they've had a bit more wear.

Seems to be identical the first Wakefield Hotel run, though that's not been 100% confirmed.

When I asked Ande himself about it, he said the following:

"The SR3 denim will be slightly more durable than the regular line denim, it's heavier and has quite a tight weave."

Good to know. Miiiiiight consider picking up a pair myself. They seem really nice, and I'm partial to really skinny jeans, so I guess the Caribou is for me. I still haven't found a pair of raws that are as skinny as I would like, and I've heard that Ande's Caribous are some of the skinniest out there, made by a great guy independently. So what's not to like?

My pair arrived and they are absolutely stunning. Impeccable craftsmanship, and the SR3 denim is really lovely and has a nicer, softer hand than I'd expected.

Unfortunately, I appear to have measured poorly, and I'm really not sure if a soak will be enough to loosen these guys up enough to fit around my goofy bicycle-riding legs. As it is now, I can't pull them up high enough on my waist to get the top button buttoned.

Oof.

May try soaking, may just sell. *sigh*

My pair arrived and they are absolutely stunning. Impeccable craftsmanship, and the SR3 denim is really lovely and has a nicer, softer hand than I'd expected.

Unfortunately, I appear to have measured poorly, and I'm really not sure if a soak will be enough to loosen these guys up enough to fit around my goofy bicycle-riding legs. As it is now, I can't pull them up high enough on my waist to get the top button buttoned.

Oof.

May try soaking, may just sell. *sigh*

They'll stretch a bit - my mustangs did anyway...

Check out my fit pics on pg 66 of this thread (taken presoak) - super tight around the thigh to begin with, but they've stretched out nicely in the space of a couple of days and are now a good, comfortable fit.

I was able to button all the buttons though and I imagine Cobras would be very skinny - kudos to all those who can actually fit into them...

Yeah, the problem is that I can't get them on all the way to get them to stretch out, and the SR3 denim is a denser weave than the regular denim, so I'm not sure that there will be as much give.

I sent Ande a message asking for his thoughts. We'll see what he says...

If you can't get them on to button them up in a raw (albeit sanforized) state, I think you can safely assume they're too small.

I am quite inclined to agree with you.

Which is all sorts of disappointing, but it is what it is (and, quite obviously totally my fault) — I was thinking too much about their stretched fit and failed to take into account how they'd be initially.

The inability to get them on sort of makes getting them stretched out pretty well an impossibility.

Spoke to Mr. Whall (again, really not possible to stress how nice a guy he is!): He has confirmed that these are not going to work for me.

I reckon these like-new, 29x31 SR3 Cobras will be in the supermarket here very shortly.

Got these SR2 Caribous a couple weeks ago, just getting around to taking some fit pics. I was torn between 29x36 caribous and 30x36 mustangs, since both had almost identical measurements, but went with the caribous for the 30 in. waist vs. 31 in the mustangs, since my true waist is around 30.5 in. This is my first pair of Andes, and I just wanted to echo everything that's been said about his unreal customer service and insane attention to detail. The X bar tacks on the back pocket corners and the back pocket wings are some of my favorite details on any jeans I've ever worn, not to mention the amazing color. Apologies for the shitty iPhone selfies, but it's the best I could do right now.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Worn about 6-7 days, no soak, they've stretched out a bit in the thighs and waist. Still looking for another quarter inch or so in the top block and thighs, but I love how they fit now.

Edited by skurlandski

They look good Mr. Skurlandski. All the cuts are on the slim side. Caribou's would probably have been a slim cut in the 50's :). Guys from Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore love the Cobras....can't fit them myself, the slimmest I can go is one up on Mustangs but normally wear Caribou's every day.

Heavy denim, never been a huge fan really.