World of denim shops

fistoffury

I've updated this with Liberty's of London info...

I thought that the new Liberty denim section was pretty poor, and so overpriced. Nearly £400 for SDA 103xx!!

I was listening to the shops self proclaimed 'denim expert' waffle on about 'salvage' denim the other day - informing a customer that he should put his Edwins in the freezer for an hour to clean them.

They had some hideous pre-distressed denim on display, too.

I thought that the new Liberty denim section was pretty poor, and so overpriced. Nearly £400 for SDA 103xx!!

I was listening to the shops self proclaimed 'denim expert' waffle on about 'salvage' denim the other day - informing a customer that he should put his Edwins in the freezer for an hour to clean them.

:eek: That's some expensive 103.

Best place in the world to shop for SDA (and deadstock Denime from the Shins and Orizzonti eras), even more so than the SDA stores:

ca9wf1fa.jpg?w=631&h=429

"This massive collection of rare & beautiful Japanese denim today started out life in 1900, when the ancestors of the Ohno family started the kimono shop ‘Ohnoya’.

It was only after WWII, or more specifically 1966, that the shop began selling blue jeans in Tochigi-ken, since it was found that the kimono was no longer a popular day-wear compared with previous decades.

As the volume of jeans they sold grew by the year, the president of the company decided to consolidate the shop into a professional denim retailer in 1974, and the shop was renamed ‘Pants Shop Avenue’, as it is known today…" - me :P

Naoki is a great guy to deal with, very knowledgeable about Japanese denim in general and has had decades of experience selling them.

Very honest about the products too - there was once when I wanted to buy a SDA jacket, and he advised me against it because of certain aspects of the garment he wasn't happy with.

A merchant who is honest about his wares!

You can do most of your purchases for SDA, Eternal, Toyo's different brands, etc here. If they don't have it, they can order it. Also, look out for some special edition SDA collabs.

Go to:

http://www.pants-shop-avenue.com/

They had some hideous pre-distressed denim on display, too.

Overpriced, indeed. I never tend to really notice, as I never knowingly pay retail for anything.

I did mention the assistant was "fairly" helpful. There's a good argument that when selling SDA for £385 or whatever is was you should be really fuckin' helpful but I always try and look on the bright side.

I've added Hideout on Portobello Road - a pretty complete range of LVC dry - plus Spitalfields and The Vintage Showroom to my list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Paid a visit to Son Of A Stag at the weekend. Was only browsing, but ended up buying a pair of Tellason jeans. Whoops.

Staff in there are really clued up and genuinely enthusiastic. Chatted for a while with Dan, who clearly knows his shit. He even gave me a little demo of one of their Union Specials. Very nice chap.

Unfortunately, some complete slag pinched my wallet between there and the Albam shop after I left. Thought I was above that kinda thing in London.

• 6 months later...

Anyone visiting the UK could do worse than visit York. An absolutely beautiful city and home to The Rugged Standard, Superdenim's real shop and the most complete stockist of Japanese denim on these shores by a country mile.

I've hated American Classics since they plagiarised my listings for LVC on ebay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, this is my first post but I’ve been a long time lurker, thought for my first post I’d try an add info and may be some value to the forum…

So for a little up date on a couple of London stores I’ve put my head into recently..

Son of a Stag in East London is now stocking Full Count and Leftfield, not sure where else in Lnd town sells these brands, as well their staple bands Momotaro, Studio D’Artisan, Tellason, Edwin and LVC. Was told when in there that their looking at getting strike gold soon’ish too.

As stated above they have a hemming serves (£20) an will also do repairs but I think this is off site.

Goodhood also in East London has some good brands to, Tender Co, Momotaro, Fallow and Indigo-Fera. They also had some odd (well I think so) spray for making raw denim smell better!!

http://goodhoodstore.com/?page=51&id=4198&type=mens

• 8 months later...

Im going to be in Paris soon and I’ve been over this tread but there’s no info about stores there, I’ve been told 45rpm have a store but can anyone recommend any more?

Edited by P_K

• 8 months later...

Popped into Son of a Stag for the first time in a couple of years yesterday, and they've really raised their game, and they were already very good.

Edwin EU and Japan, Tellason, Lee, Full Count, Momotaro, Samurai, Tanner, ONI, Omnigod, SDA, and loads of other stuff I can't even remember.

I picked up a really nice Pherrows Oxford Shirt. 

http://www.sonofastag.com/

They look on the high side. Compare their price on the ONI 527 with BIG in NYC and you'll see what I mean. Duty into the UK maybe the reason???

Their prices are still as stratospheric as ever.

So I don't suppose there's any point in me asking about the prices of their Samurai's then? Second mortgage type prices? :unsure2: :unsure2: :unsure2:

Their prices are still as stratospheric as ever.

Yes, certain brands are extremely expensive. I was looking at some Full Counts which, as hoggreaser said, are just shy of £300. I did some calculations, and you'd save £80 getting them from BiG as long as you didn't get stung with import tax. But y'know, it can't be cheap to keep a shop in Spitalfields open 7 days a week and import all of that stock.