World of denim shops

fistoffury

Hi Guys

although I might seem new as I just registered a couple of days ago I actually had been following superdenim for a long time. So now being a registered user I really wanted to start this thread.

The reason behind is that unfortunately I am not lucky enough to live in NY or LA or SF or London or any other city you could think of where one can buy Japanese denim outside of Japan. I do travel a lot though and anytime I go somewhere I try to find all the possible denim places there are.I have not come across a compilation as this one could become. Obviously if you try very hard you will find some at superfuture. If you try little less harder then you might find some in bigger cities at supertalk but I just thought it would be great to make a full on map of denim shops worldwide. Easy access for all of us whenever we go somewhere.

However if I am mistaken and there is a list like that please just provide me with a link - I did search any way I thought of and came up with nothing.

If I am correct and you like the idea please add places in your cities/places you know of with short description what one can expect. Please add ALL the places - I mean BIG or SE are so obvious that you might want to leave it out for that reason and the map just wouldn't be complete.

So.... I hope this one will take off!

Berlin:

Burg & Schild

http://www.burgundschild.com/

- Studio D'Artisan

- Atelier La Durance

- LVC

- Pace

- Red Wings

DC4

www.dc4.de

- Somet

- Atelier La Durance

- Real McCoy

Buttenheim Levis Store

Neue Schönhauser Str. 15

10179 Berlin

- LVC

Trüffelschwein

www.trueffelschweinberlin.com

Rosa-Luxemburg-Strasse 22

10178 Berlin

- Lee Gold

- Sugar Cane

- others

Acne Jeans

www.acnejeans.com

Münzstr. 23

10178 Berlin

- ;-) Acne

Lee Flagstore Berlin

www.lee.com

Alte Schönhauser Straße 38

10119 Berlin

- Lee

- Lee Gold

14oz.

http://www.14oz-berlin.com/

Neue Schönhauser Strasse 13

10178 Berlin

- ALD

- 7 For All Mankind

- Blue Blood

- Denham

- Citizens Of Humanity

- Dondup

- Double M

- Earnest Sewn

- Gilded Age

- HTC

- G-Star

- Jean Shop

- Kohzo

- Kuyichi

- Levi's (all)

- Notifiy

- Nudie

- PRPS

- Wrangler

- Red Wing

- Dunderon

- PF Flyers

- Converse

- Alden

- Tricker's

- Clarks

- Blundstone

Hamburg:

Speakeasy - The Denim Bar

Poststrasse 41

20354 Hamburg

Munich:

Gasoline Alley

http://www.gasoline-alley.de/

- LVC

- ALD

- Red Wing

- Aero

Stockholm:

Haberdashery

www.haberdashery.se

Herkulesgatan 24

Stockholm

- Iron Heart

- The Flat Head

- Mishka

- Sugar Cane

- Edwin

- Free Bee

- Samurai (soon!)

- The Steam Locomotive

- Chainstitch Service

Helsinki:

Helsinki10

www.helsinki10.fi

Eerikinkatu 3

Helsinki

- Acne

- Levis

- Dr. Denim

- Cheap Monday

- LVC

Check also here:

http://ringxring.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=20620

Turntabloid great stuff!

it is exactly what I meant! Thanks for the links too, I've seen them before and they are useful however I reckon this thread is a little different. Especially for peeps who don't like buying without trying. I am going to Berlin next week so I'll definitely pay them a visit and check out the stuff they are carrying!

The shops I know of/been to are more scatered in different parts of the world so I'll write up a compilation a little later :) But I am really happy someone started posting here! Hope more shops are about to come!

The reason behind is that unfortunately I am not lucky enough to live in NY or LA or SF or London or any other city you could think of where one can buy Japanese denim outside of Japan. I do travel a lot though and anytime I go somewhere I try to find all the possible denim places there are.I have not come across a compilation as this one could become.

i know that this thread is especially interesting for europeans traveling a lot , and with that being able to buy their denim all over the world, but as we all wish we could just order them hassle free, i would also suggest that we share our experiences about ordering from asia or the states via various resources (e.g. proxy, rakuten, BiG, SE).

with most of these it is only hassle free from one side, shit hits the fan when the merch arrives on an EU border (Germany is ridiculously harsh in those matters)! so pls also share your experiences on how good these retailers managed to circumvent customs or how you did it!

Hong Kong

Take 5 Shop

mecca for japanese denim which doesn't need a further introduction

you can also buy online

Shanghai

Novo Concept

a concept store within Raffles City shopping centre. They have mainstream brands and they also have an impressive concession area for Evisu with a really broad selection

Munich

Flip

Feilitzschstr. 9

Nudie

Prps

LVC

Acne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

time for a bump.today i will visit the speakesy-denimbar,doing some pics and see whats new there.went there 2 weeks ago,couldnt resist buying a pair of strongholds straightleg for discounted to 90,- instead of 298,-€.got told that they have a visit from Rin Tanaka in november in the pipeline,not 100% confirmend than.if that is going to happen i will be there fore sure.stay tuned.

So I went yesterday afternoon back to the Denimbar,a nice little shop near the Gänsemarkt here in Hamburg:

4012920103_affa226575.jpg

first time i paid this shop a visit is about three years ago,when the boss of Skull posted a link that their jeans are now available in germany.opening that link i was more than surprised that it showed a google-map with a shop in Hamburg very close to where i lived that time.(now its even closer).didnt like the fit and the price of the skulls than,but i was also surprised that they had Jeanshop,first and last time i ever handled a pair myself.speaking of Skull,Jens,one of the employees, told me that they have 2 or 3 pairs on sale for 90,-€ in a different shop nearby.so if anybody is interested in getting a pair of Skulls or Strongholds ( check the Strongholdthread for models/sizes) for 90,-€,please use the email or telephone# at the end of this post.

I will not proxy anymore.

Next pic explaines why there is a bar in the name:

4013688226_9c238e38c9.jpg

The shop inside:

4012920399_8406069bc8.jpg

4013695280_a1d4285288.jpg

4013687426_ac04c76c4b.jpg

on my last visit I was highly tempted to get the LVC batwing shirt you see in the background,tried it on in size M,fit was ok,but a bit too long for my liking.got a discounted Stronghold straight leg instead.couldnt resist trying on the slimfit suspender model yesterday:

4013688464_fac788ab46.jpg

its a 34,so 2 sizes bigger from what usually wear,but thats the reason for suspenders,eh?

what caught my eyes most are the great books from Rin Tanaka:

4013687658_accc6ae236.jpg

4012921111_8806b181b3.jpg

the one on the left is signed by the master himself.

I spend about 3,5 hours in there,killing 3 beers ( 2 Veltins, 1 Becks),felt like seconds,Jens is very knowlegeable about denim and any fashionrelated subjects,being some sort of fashion student.before I left Christopher,one of the owners walked in,i had a quick talk with him,also very knowledgeable,telling me that they would love to carry more of the brands we are familiar with,but if the raw denim/repro market is a niche in Japan/USA its even more in germany,so they sell mostly 7forAllmankind and Truereligion.well that was my impression at my visits,nearly every customer asked for this brands.

Brands of our interest they carry:

PRPS,Rising Sun,Edwin Japan,LVC,Nudie ,Schott NYC,Belstaff,Converse and JohnsonMotocycles Tees,which I can highly recommend,got myself two pairs now.

They carry lots of more Brands but i cant mention all of them(too many),so if you want more info,check them out on facebook and Twitter:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=89161963606&ref=ts

http://twitter.com/denimbar

or shoot them a mail:

[email protected]

Speakeasy The Denim Bar

Poststrasse 41

20354 Hamburg

Phone: 00490434107759

So if you ever come to Hamburg they are worth a visit,they getting new brands to their collection from time to time,check them out and dont forget to ask for free beer!

On a sidenote,I am not related to them in any way,just want to share!

Next week I will show you whats going on in the St.Pauli area denimwise.

London has its own dedicated thread somewhere here on sufu -- it seemed fairly up-to-date last time I looked, so it's probably not useful to reproduce the info here.

Ironically, though, I think there used to more shops in London carrying selvage denim five years ago than there are now. There used to be Michiko Koshino, Designworks, Duffer of St George, Oki-ni Saville Row, Edwin Neal St --- now these are all gone. Liberty back in 2002 was actually carrying Denime, Sugarcane, and others, but now has a very indifferent line, maybe just APC and PRPS. Kinda sad.

However, there is still is Cinch, Interstate, American Classics, HD Lee, Evisu Saville Row, etc.

Indeed - the UK has avery little in terms of actual quality denim shops. Kiosk hasnt restocked on Flat Head or PBJ for a long time. In fact the last time I actually tried on a pair of jeans before buying them was in Cinch many years ago. Thank god for the internet.

Will try to add some for Switzerland:

Zürich

VMC, Rindermarkt 6

http://www.vmc-jeans-sportswear.ch/

-Studio D'Artisan

-LVC

-Prps

-Sugar Cane

-Flat Head

-Denham

-Nudies

-Real McCoy's

-ALD

-Lee

-Wrangler/Blue Bell

and probably some more that don't come to mind

Bern

Kitchener, Aarbergergasse 40

http://kitchener.ch/index.php

-ALD

-LVC

-Acne

-Cheap Monday

-Edwin

-Nudie

-Paul Smith

-Julian Red

ah...let him his LVCs ;)

oh, yeah. Haberdashery has closed AFAIK

well, i definitely understand the message ;), but for me lvc is a thing of beauty. don't know why exactly, but it works for me. although i think they should fodus on raw stuff. that might cut the costs down and make it easier in the future