Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Dumb question but I really haven't seen the answer to this yet: I don't want another pair of dry jeans, it's going to take me a while to wear in the pair that I do have. I want to get a pair of washed sugarcanes, would the 29 waist stretch to 30 or once it's washed is the size set?

the jeans will stretch, then shrink upon washing, then stretch upon wearing, then shrink upon washing, then stretch upon wearing, then shrink upon washing, then stretch upon wearing, uhhh I don't know, but i think there might be a pattern starting.

i don't know, but i find the way different jeans go about stretching to be really inconsistent. I guess this make sense: the denim is different, and is going to have different properties. everyone knows about APC and its crazy stretching, but i've got some italian denim that hardly stretched at all, some 21 oz denim that isn't doing much stretching, and some sized-down edwins where the waist stops at 34, and will not go further. My observation with the '47 canes is that after a hardwash they can come in about 1/2" under-size, but you get that back fast, like in a couple of hours. Then the next inch comes gradually, and, I thought, kind of slowly over the next 10 days. I'm kind of thinking that there isn't going to be too much more stretching. So, what i'm saying by offering this is that if you do size-down, looks like it might take 10 days to get 'em where you want 'em, and then maybe after that stretching might be real slow and relatively minor.

anyhow, takes all the fun out of it to just say all denim stretches. what are we supposed to talk about then?

madgrad: so, yes, in my experience the 29 waist will stretch to a 30 in ten days. but TB is actually testing this out right now, so i'd wait for his confirmation. but you know, even sized down, these things will have a really, really different kind of fit then what you've got now and what it seems like you had before (sevens, etc.). are you looking for a repro, or something more modern?

Quote:
Quote: The SD-103's on the other hand barely stretches at all because the weave is so compact, according to some japanese msgboard. I'll see if it's true when I get my pair.
I'm not sure how true this is. I mean, it might take *longer* to stretch -- but I can't see it not stretching as much as other denim. My Eternals are 14.5oz, quite heavy, and very tightly woven to my eye and although they took quite a while to stretch (they've finally stopped stretching after 6 weeks of wear) they still stretched a lot.

my 103's are in the mail also so I guess I'll find out soon. icon_smile.gif

--- Original message by minya on Feb 10, 2006 03:05 PM

okay, I thought the eternals were a loose weave because of how they look.

tangerine, of course! I think minya will get his pair a few days earlier than me though, dang!

dontcaretoomuchforcrap CANT SKATE!!

Canes '47 32/34 one-wash two days out of the box. I did an initial measurement before putting them on, and the rear-waist came to just over 15" (so, basically just shy of 31.5" total), and the inseam was around 36". As of right now, the waist hasn't stretched that much, but I expect that to change. I'm pretty happy with the fit, but would like the rear to shrink just a smidge. Softer, "fuzzy" effect on the denim (as has been discussed before). I almost threw some spray starch on them to enhance the fading, but think I'll keep them as-is to see what happens.

Hope this helps some,

Anthony

CanesFront.jpg

CanesSide.jpg

CanesBack.jpg

Edited by TB on Feb 11, 2006 at 01:06 PM

Edited by TB on Feb 11, 2006 at 01:07 PM

Yo, those jeans look great on you. They have that nice vintage look. Have you considered spraying some water on the lap, thigh, and behind the knees. It helps define the creases, especially behind the knees. There is no need for starch yet. I am guessing the jeans are still pretty starchy and stiff. I miss when my 47s looked like that. Now they are all faded and very dirty. they are gonna get washed next week some time. I have a pair that are 30s that I may do a warm soak on and start wearing those. But seriously, you should consider spraying behind the knees and sitting down and watching a movie or something to lock in the honeycomb creases.

Edited by rnrswitch on Feb 11, 2006 at 01:22 PM

Actually, I was surprised at how non-stiff the one washes are. On the softer side, really (well, compared to the nudies I've been wearing). I'll try the water spray on them and let it go at that for a while. Thanks for the input!

Edited by TB on Feb 11, 2006 at 01:33 PM

Is the color really that light of a blue or is it just the flash? They are natural indigo... right? BTW those jeans are slubby as all hell. Lookin good. Can't wait to see what they look like after some wear and a couple washes.

It's the flash. These shots don't give the accurate color of the denim and it is a bit bluer with a greenish tint that's really faint. It plays with your sight since you can't pinpoint the exact hue of the color everytime you stare at them. It's really fun! Do I make sense. Anyway, it is made of natural indigo and it is very slubby. I'm going to slowly break them in and not do crazy stuff with them like what i did with my RRDS. I can't wait for those creases to develop though....

Quote:

TB-nice jeans.

mind if i ask what your true waist size is?

these don't look at all what the lvc 47s fit like...

--- Original message by nairb49 on Feb 12, 2006 12:01 PM

Well, my "true" waist size (per the tape measure) is just over 33 inches. I've worn nothing but 32's with my Nudies, and the Canes in the pics I posted are a 32, and have already stretched probably 1/4" after three hard wears. And yes, the fit seems to be nothing like the LVC version...those look alot more "nudie" like. I already have a couple pairs of sloucher jeans.icon_smile_tongue.gif

Thanks for all the info guys. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 32 raw. They suggested going for a 33 but i insisted on the sizing. The lady i spoke to was really nice, anyway, i asked her about new products and she said they'll have 3 new sugarcane products in but she wasn't sure what they were exactly so i guess keep checking out the website. I'll let you know how the sizing issue goes.

I've got my 1947 Canes "one wash' yesterday. First of all, thanks everyone here who posted their experience with these jeans. I am 33 waist in Nudies, and I've got 1947's also in 33, and though I was worrying they will be tight as hell on the waist, they are tight just a little bit and fit comfortably snug out of the box. Also, they are quite roomy in the butt area but I think if I went for 34 they would be baggier though still fit me well on the waist.

I also do not find them slim fitting, IMO they are regular straight fit with a bit baggy top and my Straight Svens DS are slimmer on thighs and less baggy with the same hem, and I see from pictures of LVC 47s posted here on SF that LVCs are slimmer fit than Canes. So I am wondering, which of them are a truer copy of the original 501 1947 model?

Alien vs Predator, Freddie vs Jason, Nudie vs A.P.C.

Quote:

hello. sorry if this has been answered before, but i was taking a look at the lee repo sugarcan 1945 at the history preservation website. has anyone had experience with these before? how is the fit, leg opening length, etc? sorry for the bother and thanks!

--- Original message by abstract bM on Feb 15, 2006 01:15 AM

i have the 1942 buzz rickson lee repros and they fit pretty slim....i did buy them a size smaller though but they stretched out nicely and now fit perfect...painful first week though.