The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Yeah chicken totally, I dont know why this is, everytime I see edwins I like the fabric just just save my pennys for something from rakuten. I think the awesome fades could be because edwin ed47 and such are typical "gateway" jeans and would have loads of wear put in to them, wheras once people start buying onis and PBJ and samurai they are on a one pair a month habit and dont put much wear into em.

Just a thought.

anyone else notice edwins seem to have some of the nicest fades around here?

I'll totally agree. Man, after seeing the other pair and now these, if you're looking for an amazing great fade, edwins seem to do the trick. I don't have a proper camera anymore, but since i started working my job, I've had to wear "nice" jeans, so for 2 days a week I wear my Nom De Guerre's. They fade like crazy fast. When I get a camera, you'll guys have pics.

edwins are nice, great contrast, but imo they lack the depth and complexity of color in fading, also the unique texture that other premium japanese denim manufacturers offers.

same case as apc, dior, nudie, imperial, etc..

hmm. good points. i just noticed the above pair was washed only once in about a year of wear. perhaps edwins are great gateway type denim. never wore them myself so i can't tell the subtleties over the net.

but my friend at work collects repro lees and his edwin lees definitely don't fade like apc/nudies. they're more vintage-like -- more stubborn.

you realise this isn't true? nudie and apc dont wear particularily fast and all my japanese jeans have faded faster than my apcs.

really? my ns definitely faded faster than most of my japanese denim, excluding my uniqlo ring denim which kept on losing indigo like crazy without any wash. anybody else experiencing same thing hjj is saying?

all this edwin talk so i figured i'd post an update.

soaked two weeks ago, when it totaled about one year of wear.

dscf2362cy9.jpg

dont really know what i'm going to do with them.

i've been wearing my new standards because the edwins fit has become so bad.

but every once in a while i'll jsut wear them because they're comfortable.

they're like my sweatpants jeans.

really? my ns definitely faded faster than most of my japanese denim, excluding my uniqlo ring denim which kept on losing indigo like crazy without any wash. anybody else experiencing same thing hjj is saying?

Well considering most japanese repros are looser than new standards I would say it is highly unlikely. Fit+lifestyle have a huge impact on denim fades...

Now I've got some 2005 DH 19 CM that barely faded so life (and denim) is sometimes full of surprises...

you realise this isn't true? nudie and apc dont wear particularily fast and all my japanese jeans have faded faster than my apcs.

agreed, it took a month at least to see any noticable wear on my nudies, a few weeks to see the same amount on my samurais, the nudies have never touched water and the sams were soaked once, maybe the soaks what does it since people dont typically soak nudies/apcs like they do japanese stuff

Guest jeffvyain

i think the soak makes quite a difference. look at year old nudies vs. year old sams and you will see which one retains indigo more. most people have washed their nudies by 6 months, and after that, the indigo seems to disappear much more quickly

of course, you won't find THAT many year old nudies because usually by that time they are worn to shit

yes, i have noticed this but then again edwins are awesome

i think it's been noted that edwins offer a nice "quick fix"--a la APC, perhaps? or nudies.

i dont know i noticed that my nudies took forever to fade, much slower than my samurais. then again i think i babied my nudies.

First time posting a picture so I hope this works... These are my 501 STF's after about maybe 1 years worth of wear and 3 washes I believe. The lights look a lot brighter in person but I'm somewhat satisfied with them considering they're cheap STF's.

badpicig2.jpg

Sorry for the shitty cropping. This pic was originally intended for something else hence not even showing the bottom cuff.

Nudie uses a ton of different types of denim and dyes. Saying Nudies fade fast or slow is ridiculous. I have a pair of nudies that spent 8 months of hard labor and barely got any contrast... after the first wash though they lost so much indigo the jeans look more grey than blue.

Hope I'm not ODing on pics in this thread, but I thought this was worth posting.

This weekend I went caving with a few of my friends. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing, and I was wearing my PBJs and Nudie Conny. I think it was Airfrog who said "a day in the mine is worth a month on the barstool." After this trip, I'd say that's an understatement.

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1556.jpg

Needless to say, I had to wash them. Outdoor PBJ photos, as per Kixslf's request:

DSCN1566.jpg

DSCN1572.jpg

DSCN1567.jpg

DSCN1570.jpg

Might need to wash them more aggressively.