Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

I based the pattern on another shirt.

for the coating/waxing, I used a mix of beeswax and paraffin. I didnt want to apply it as liquid because that would've been way too much (think shirt standing on its own with flakes of wax dropping off :o), so I rather let the wax cool down into a concrete form and then rubbed it on. I guess the contents of this wax is essentially whats in many candles, and when it dries it looks like a bar of some organic soap. after I had waxed the whole shirt, I sort of melted it in with heat. I believe this how many outdoor jackets are waxed, the wax is applied and then heated so it absorbs into the fabric.

i was given a barbour jacket a while back from my grandfather and he gave me some stuff to take care of it, including the wax dressing.. it was a sticky soft goo that you could work in with a cloth. but, i would have thought this was mainly to be as 'user-friendly' as possible to the layman.... hard waxing then setting up with a hot air gun isnt exactly on most peoples agenda.

dot.gif

this is the stuff

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/newproduct.aspx?ProductStyleID=110325&utm_source=Barbour_Online&utm_medium=referral

however i do think that the jackets are originally made with stiffer wax, possibly heated in as you said... this stuff doesnt really give that wax coat feel if you try to work it in to a cotton by itself..

just realised that might not be of much help, but might answer a slight quarm.

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first pair of trousers. Still in practice-mode. Can be worn in winter above and maybe summer below. Made out of sweatpantsfabric

madebyme.jpg

Gonna remake these with maybe a slightly lower crotch and wider waist out of a black wool80%-casmere20% fabric-combo and see how those work out :)

just finished making this henley today out of heavy 100% cotton brown duck material, wood buttons and super thick top stitch thread at all seams. Has a small misaligned pocket for two oreos or one double stuff.

3168581396_ba67e3712b.jpg

looks amazing! i would def. wear

I have a question for you cats who make clothes - i have a rick owens cardigan from the '04 season that has basically sat unused because i really don't like the fact that the bottom of the sweater doesn't have any elastic in it whatsoever so it doesn't hold my waist. Is there anything I can do to make this stick to my waist rather than go midway down my thigh?

Pic of cardigan for reference:

2a0ib77.jpg

If you're not comfortable sewing yourself, just take it to a tailor. It's a nice and pricey sweater, it's worth doing right. I'd probably just knit in another piece of yarn tightly on either side until it snugs up how you'd like it, but there's many options.

Take it to someone used to dealing with expensive suits and they will give you some options.