Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

• 3 weeks later...

Made a few things this past semester, figured I'd share

myclothes.jpg

Made: Shirt/Jacket/Pants

Shirt: I guess this is the prototype, fit is alright, think I'll take it in a little bit, the sleeves need to be slimmed down as well. As you may have guessed, I was going for the Ervell look with this one

DSC03515.jpg

Jacket: Detail wise, this is a S/S 08 Ervell coat, cept they don't sell Ervell in Vancouver, so I had to guess. I love this jacket though, I wear it all the time. Cept I couldn't find an interesting lining in time, so its lined with white mesh. ugh.

DSC03521.jpg

Figured the sufu'ers might like the zipper, riri for free

DSC03522.jpg

Jeans: Standard 5 pocket slim jean. Proto as well, fit is okay, but needs tweaking. And big props to Ande Whall and TG regarding their jeans because flat felling denim is a bitch.

DSC03531.jpg

DSC03533.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm making an unlined wool jacket...

Its a design I did on a post it note.., and so far I have made a prototype out of Calico...

Is there anything I should know when working with wool materials, like will the edges fray badly if I dont hem them?

I'll post pics when I've finished it.

I'm making an unlined wool jacket...

Its a design I did on a post it note.., and so far I have made a prototype out of Calico...

Is there anything I should know when working with wool materials, like will the edges fray badly if I dont hem them?

I'll post pics when I've finished it.

sounds good, if its unlined , you can try bias binding the edges instead of overlocking? looks alot cleaner/finished

Theres some sort of glue stuff you can apply to the edge to stop fraying, maybe that will do the trick...

Didnt realise I accidently wrote sexing above... that might be the last resort;)

Thanks.

I couldn't tell you what the material is exactly, 100% cotton something that is slightly off black, hoping to get some streaking later on. the lining is some ghetto broadcloth. There isn't shit for materials here in albuquerque, so we do what we can.

I took a garment construction class last semester and this is probably the best thing i've made so far. I have a pair of grey shorts I will post later that I am pretty happy with as well. the only mistakes on the bag are the wavy contrast stitching on the interior pockets, otherwise, it's pretty on point. So yeah, spend time this summer, you'll at least have a pair of shorts by the time september rolls around. I hope you have a machine, you can't really do this shit by hand unless you like to drive yourself craxy.

This is some of the stuff i have made.

Im happy with the shoot, but the black garments dont seem to show much of the detail, overall i think i like the atmosphere of the shoot.

Model is Stephanie from Chadwick

-pics removed to save space

but this should in supertrashs SuperErotic. Mildly NSFW

shes really good looking

• 1 month later...

Bumping thread....

After reading about denim, I decided to try making own pair. I am insane considering I dont have any formal training in sewing. I dont have any other hobbies to speak of and I could do with a pair of new jeans but never can find my size here.

Im planning on copying my Levis 512 as my fit. I got 9 meters of 72cm width denim. I hoping its enough. I have a sewing machine but its basic model, I'm a little worried that the machine will break when I attempt to sew stiff denim.

Any help, suggestion, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

9 meters????

that's enough to do 3 pairs of jeans with that width.

Depending on your denim, your machine probably won't break, but will get jammed up when you are doing parts where you have to join up more than 2-3 layers of fabric.

I have a Husqvarna 2000 which is really old, perhaps 30 years or so. It had problems with 3 layers of 10oz denim. And this machine is known for being able to sew to thick things, like leather and denim.

But have a try, you'll most likely need a pair of extra needles, but it could work with a little hazzle

Theres some sort of glue stuff you can apply to the edge to stop fraying, maybe that will do the trick...

Didnt realise I accidently wrote sexing above... that might be the last resort;)

Eh, that glue junk is sad. I used the most well known brand to stop fraying on my sheer jersey jacket and it basically kept on ripping from there. BTW, sheer jersey is really thin. I tried to figure out if I applied that odd glue material incorrectly, but I couldn't figure out anything.

And yes, I make some things when I'm bored. I'm attempting to figure out this grayish-lavender drape tee that I have material for right now. Unfortunately, I don't have patience.