Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

Well, I know that if you iron black garbage bags, you can get a tyvek like material. Try an extremely low setting or, ironing the bags with a sheet of paper over the bag. Then take apart your pattern, lay it out, and I'm sure that it will be sewable/glueable. There are a lot of alternative materials you can check out at forums like www.crafster.org or check out the ThreadBanger forums for some DIY-stuff, some of their ideas are really creative as far as materials go (not design)

• 2 weeks later...

2131491947_b92b345bbb.jpg

Christmas present for my girlfriend

Used a serger this time, it was alot faster.

Went to my sister's last weekend and screenprinted for the first time, so for a rookie, I'm pretty satisfied with the result. The contrast could've been better. I was fooled by Begåvningsreserven, he made it seem simple :)

2131491947_b92b345bbb.jpg

Christmas present for my girlfriend

Used a serger this time, it was alot faster.

Went to my sister's last weekend and screenprinted for the first time, so for a rookie, I'm pretty satisfied with the result. The contrast could've been better. I was fooled by Begåvningsreserven, he made it seem simple :)

The soles are from this brand from bata, called north star, and ive tried both methods- ripping the uppers from the soles and direct application to the shoes itself. Both yields different results though. the leathers are both glued and stiched. thanks guys for the comments.

I've posted in this thread before on applying for fashion school. I've been sketching body's, clothing and body positions ever since.

I'm still kind of worried, that I might not get in the school though. The will to learn and love for clothing is there, though some people turn me down by saying that I haven't been sewing since I was 4 years old; like some big designers did.

What do you people think? Is it more important to already be able to make clothing? But isn't it the whole point of going to a fashion school to learn how to design clothing and all the process around it?

I've posted in this thread before on applying for fashion school. I've been sketching body's, clothing and body positions ever since.

I'm still kind of worried, that I might not get in the school though. The will to learn and love for clothing is there, though some people turn me down by saying that I haven't been sewing since I was 4 years old; like some big designers did.

What do you people think? Is it more important to already be able to make clothing? But isn't it the whole point of going to a fashion school to learn how to design clothing and all the process around it?

No fashion school is going to turn you down. It's mostly about 1) money 2) desire to learn.

And yes, you are right. If you already knew how to do all that, there's no point in going to school.

Also, check out the latest post in my blog, I think you might find it useful.

http://therapysessions.livejournal.com

• 4 weeks later...

Wait until it is dry and either put into your dryer or take to a mat and put it in one of the industrial dryers. These get hot and can set the inks fast unless you know anybody with a silkscreen dryer. I have never used the over but it might work.

Wait until it is dry and either put into your dryer or take to a mat and put it in one of the industrial dryers. These get hot and can set the inks fast unless you know anybody with a silkscreen dryer. I have never used the over but it might work.

Will the dryer at home work, are you sure?

Better set the color before I make a sweater of the cloth, right?

Yeah, the dryer will work. I do this with ripstop and it set the inks fine. I have also done it with shirts. Yeah you should set the inks just because you are going to be sewing. I also use Speedball ink. it doesn't have to be in the dryer long maybe 15 minutes at the most 5-10 if in a hurry.

• 2 weeks later...

being able to sew has VERY little to do with designing. sadly to say, majority of designing is tech specs, grade sheets, etc etc. IE crunching numbers and measurements and etc etc etc. its just much faster and effeicient to have a sample maker just make ur samples for you instead of you sewing all your stuff together.

but on that note if you're going to a design school, expecting to learn how to sew in school, you better reevalute...if you're really into designing, why havnet you started yet? if you have the will to learn and all that jazz like every other person out there...why not spend your spare time learning on your own?

you'll get into a design school...its not too hard...but if i were you, if you wanna suceed, start now..dont wait to "learn in school"

not to be a dick about it or anything but theres too many kids talking about how they love clothes and fashion but you gotta always be one step ahead if you wanna succeed. its like kids who talk about how they love music and dreams to become a famous musicians...well who the fuck doesnt...?

But is does come in VERY handy if you actually know how to sew, as you will understand the designing part better and also will be able to communicate better to whomever you are working with what you want...

Plus, it's handy when there is no sample maker around and you just want to quickly try something out, you can only draw/calculate/ect so much...

• 2 weeks later...
But is does come in VERY handy if you actually know how to sew, as you will understand the designing part better and also will be able to communicate better to whomever you are working with what you want...

Word: Case in point, Patrik Ervell's crotchless pants for men.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update

SUCCUMB

SUC001 // HOLY MATRIMONY

2312392435_a969ba3627.jpg

2312384007_79a202ff53.jpg

2312388693_44eb6271b8.jpg

2312414777_e2270f7869.jpg

The ugliest looking neck patch you'll ever see.

Screenprinted and sewn by yours sincerely.

I'm accepting donations so that I can afford my own serger, don't be shy! :)