Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

• 3 weeks later...
you can use twin needle, but he is using two standard lock stitch aiming for even spacing, but you can see the inconsistency.. it should be sewn with a guide or, if your very experienced you can sew it even free hand but it does get a bit tricky.

This is true. I'm going to get a double needle chainstitcher with a flatfeller attachment as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find the old sewing machine thread right now, but recommendations for a heavier duty machine that isn't expensive? My ghetto ass machine still jams sometimes and it's a pain in the ass having to cut out a nest of thread whenever it jams.

I'm just looking for something simple that will sew through some heavy fabrics without trouble.

I can't find the old sewing machine thread right now, but recommendations for a heavier duty machine that isn't expensive? My ghetto ass machine still jams sometimes and it's a pain in the ass having to cut out a nest of thread whenever it jams.

I'm just looking for something simple that will sew through some heavy fabrics without trouble.

Not really versatile but an old Singer 15, or Singer 99k or featherweight should mow through denim. Stalk craigslist for estate sales (old grandmas finally pitching over leaving their precious straight stitchers too you).

personally i'd just get an industrial sewing machine which could be found from time to time on craigslist for about $500-$700 as most sewing machines i've used have had trouble going through 2-3 layers of fabric and certainly can't go throu denim.

it might hurt your pocket it might not but it would certainly be very benneficial in the long run if you sew and construct often.

just my .02

New Complete Guide to Sewing (Readers Digest) by Reader's Digest Editors

The only sewing book you will ever need. Clear step-by-step pictures. References for techniques. Everything you need to know in terms of basic and semi-advance construction.

Patternmaking: A Comprehensive Reference for Fashion Design by Sylvia Rosen

Sylvia Rosen has been the head teacher at Parsons School of Design for years and basically written all the books that most schools have kids get. This is THE patternmaking book for womenswear. It covers basic slopers, altering, etc for all sorts of garments. You can also special order a packet of slopers if you do not feel like making them

Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear: Including Unisex Clothes and Computer Aided Design by Winifred Aldrich

For those interested in menswear, this is my favorite book. It's a bit hard to find because it's a British book (warning to all those in the States: instructions are given in CM instead of Inches, so you will need to get metric rulers). But it basically has slopers for every type of menswear garment out there. It also covers altering menswear pieces for women.

Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Men's Wear (F.I.T. Collection) by Roberto Cabrera and Patricia Flaherty Meyers

A great tailoring book that goes through constructing a menswear blazer from star to finish. The only downside is the images/drawings are all black and white and pretty much suck. The written content is top notch though.

^^^ all of this information is courtesy of Mouko btw hope he doesn't mind

Personally I've had book #1 and it is not all that great but I'm seriously contemplating purchasing #3 to prep me for classes (hopefully for next semester) I can keep you updated about the quality of the content if you want.

i used winifred aldrich metric pattern cutting for menswear [4e]..its good to get an understanding exactly how the dynamics work.

as for machine, you can pick an industrial far cheaper than 500-700, use ebay searching your local.

theyre big and fucking serious heavy, so only cool if you got space.

if you want a domestic machine i heard bernina' are pretty awesome, but at that price id upgrade to an industrial.. you can always sell it back on. if you buy them second hand they are likely to keep there price. my machines must be 40 years old or something... stil beauties.

lawless : out of rep but will +rep sooner or later. Keep me updated on any other books you find/like. Thanks for the info! (will rep mouko when I find him/her)

Personally I've had book #1 and it is not all that great but I'm seriously contemplating purchasing #3 to prep me for classes (hopefully for next semester) I can keep you updated about the quality of the content if you want.

I do also have a copy of RD's guide to sewing and I found it pretty good actually. You can find pretty much everything in there.