Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

Naw, I'm totally northern European.

It's a strange one, though. Judging by my complexion and colour my ancestors probably terrorized each other with the severed limbs of hapless roman soldiers when they weren't playing football with their heads, but I have a strange understanding of SE Azn foodage and can squat for hours.

Sorry this isn't on the chicken tip, but cooked it tonight and thought I'd take some pictures. Got some center cut, bone-in, pork chops from the farmer's market.

Seared with just some salt and chile powder.

2hn7vxf.jpg

Then sauted some onions in the rendered fat, and put the chops back in the pan and roasted them with some sweet potatoes and ping tung eggplant. Right before they were done, I glazed the top with some peach butter/jam type stuff and put them under the broiler to get a nice crust. Pan sauce to finish it off.

4rao1j.jpg

sorry for the...um..."rustic"...plating. I was hungry.

Sorry this isn't on the chicken tip, but cooked it tonight and thought I'd take some pictures. Got some center cut, bone-in, pork chops from the farmer's market.

[...]

Then sauted some onions in the rendered fat, and put the chops back in the pan and roasted them with some sweet potatoes and ping tung eggplant. Right before they were done, I glazed the top with some peach butter/jam type stuff and put them under the broiler to get a nice crust. Pan sauce to finish it off.

was it actual fat that was rendered or did you make the protein expel its juices? usually with pork chops you would have to do sous vide or brine to retain enough moisture to make it palatable.

also peach on top of sweet potatoes is overkill but if you enjoyed it i can't hate on that.

was it actual fat that was rendered or did you make the protein expel its juices? usually with pork chops you would have to do sous vide or brine to retain enough moisture to make it palatable.

also peach on top of sweet potatoes is overkill but if you enjoyed it i can't hate on that.

There were some big pieces of fat on the edge of the chops I trimmed off and melted down to saute the onions in. Maybe rendered wasn't the right term? I think it is, though.

I would have brined the chops ideally, but they didn't finish thawing in time, and I wanted to eat them tonight. They weren't quite as moist as would have been perfect, but they were far from being unpalatable.

The peach glaze was just a little bit on top of the chops to give it some sugar to caramelize and add a bit of different flavor. Nothing was overly sweet, don't worry.

Chops are also great in a slow cooker to help them stay moist...but like I said...wanted them tonight.

I'm gonna prematurely bust, since I'm gonna be busy tomorrow with jawn making, etc.

I was gonna drop serious culinary bombs and make it rain on you hoes, but I got tired today and my stomach was ruling over my chicken dish choice, so this is what I made:

It is:

Paillard de Poulet en Croute Pommes de Terre sur (? something) Tabouleh au Genmai, Ume, Shiso, Kyuuri, Sauce ume

(Potato 'gill' encrusted chicken paillard, over a tabouleh of genmai rice, ume, shiso, and cucumber, with an ume sauce)

8327_771995672480_15904009_43803497_696767_n.jpg

closeup of potato gills

8731_771996276270_15904009_43803504_3379484_n.jpg

I'm gonna prematurely bust, since I'm gonna be busy tomorrow with jawn making, etc.

I was gonna drop serious culinary bombs and make it rain on you hoes, but I got tired today and my stomach was ruling over my chicken dish choice, so this is what I made:

It is:

Paillard de Poulet en Croute Pommes de Terre sur (? something) Tabouleh au Genmai, Ume, Shiso, Kyuuri, Sauce ume

(Potato 'gill' encrusted chicken paillard, over a tabouleh of genmai rice, ume, shiso, and cucumber, with an ume sauce)

8327_771995672480_15904009_43803497_696767_n.jpg

closeup of potato gills

8731_771996276270_15904009_43803504_3379484_n.jpg

that looks mother fucking amazing

shit dis, that looks amazing. Would be really interested in the battering technique, as my girlfriend cant eat gluten, so if it's all potato would be good alternative.

Also just putting out an easy one this time, was going to pull out some stops, but going to be busy tonight, so will have to save it for next time. Here is my monday night safety date chicken meal.

Home made green thai chicken curry. Made with chicken beans, carrots, capsicums and home made stock, plus all the usual stuff.

IMG_0563.jpg

it doesnt get any more real than this. are these culinary arts executed while heavliy intoxicated dismal? cause i swear i thought you was slightly buzzed on those ales and mojo's...

Yeah I was drunk, lol. Me and Elaine stayed another couple hours and I got a couple hrs of drinks in.

Cooking while drunk ain't nothing new but word up to trying to tournet potatoes with a dull paring knife while drunk on hard liquor.

Tyro, the crust is 100% potato, very simple actually. Works better for fish anyway, so you might find it a handy trick.

the potato is a bocuse thing. slice the potatoes (use a starchy type, in oz, just use desiree) with a mandolin/knife. use a cookie cutter to shape if necessary. dip the potato into eggwash or melted butter. layer the "scales" on the fish (its supposed to be scales so its usually fish) and brush some melted butter over that. pop it into a fridge so the butter solidifies then fry it potato side down.

food and steez to the victims

I hope this all makes sense now.

kpnv, close, but mine wasn't as involved in that, mine was simply potatoes on chicken, sauteed in a light oil (I used sunflower this time). Tournet the potatoes with slightly fatter ends to make batons, smooth them out a little more til round, but don't wash the starch off the potatoes, slice paper thin to make gills (you should be able to see the knife cutting through the potato from the side, that thin), arrange onto the split side of the chicken paillard and pat down to stick. Carefully flip gill-side down into the warmed pan, cook til about halfway opaque, and then flip, the potatoes will have crusted and bonded to themselves and to the chicken a bit.

I am going to develop my technique a little more and see if I can't throw some carrot in there amongst the potatoes for a moasic Koi fish effect. I might try red radish slices too.

Typically you serve with an acidic sauce, like an orange sauce. I went with the umeboshi because I had them in the fridge and I'm on an ume-kyu and shiso tear here because it's summer...