Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

I had visions of this really complicated beet/orange/quail dish but it didnt work out, and I just ended up feeling cranky and eating a HUGE bowl of buttered, roasted beets with feta for dinner. Also now I have like, 5 roasted quails in the fridge...and half a pan of beets still Why did I buy so many :/

Maybe I can save it and make some sort of smoked borscht but I dunno :(

submission time:

331n1hk.jpg

chilled potato and onion soup

with a beetroot and balsamic purée and a roasted basil leaf

after you mix it up the whole thing is like the soup version of a swedish beetroot salad. purée adds a nice sweetness and acidity to the soup. i still need to figure out how to roast basil leaves without having them crinkle up like that...my oven is already on the coldest setting it can manage.

soup - basically a vichyssoise recipe:

cook chopped onions (and leeks) until soft, i like to wait for it to caramelise a little

add diced skinned potatoes, stock (chicken/vegetable), and a splash of white wine

boil and simmer until potatoes are soft, then blend

finish off with a cup of cream and simmer more, i used double cream

chill!

purée:

boil beetroot until soft

puree in food processor with a dash of balsamic vinegar

add the water back in to control the consistency

basil leaf optional but tasty with

for the basil, I'm not sure really, but I'd think that if you want the glass-like basil leaves you need a form of fat, i.e. olive oil, to soak them in for awhile, since oil is hygroscopic and will absorb some of the inner moisture of the basil; then I'd probably try putting on baking parchment and doing the lowest temperature your oven can hold while letting cool air in once in awhile, because all that potential energy will build up, an oven works as a dehydrator in a pinch, but not well.

jawnz had to come first this week, I will try to join in this next round if the ingredient is easier for me to cop (always a living in a third world country where beets are only sold at one store, off and on concept) :o

this isnt for the contest but i made some tacos tonight and documented the process as usual ..

salsa supplies .. didnt have anywhere to go with a good produce section so the veggie supply wasnt too good ..

42876010.jpg

roasted them (also had jalepeno peppers roasting)

31885872.jpg

finished product

37136224.jpg

chicken based in an anchiota paste mixture

69256508.jpg

50833139.jpg

73735708.jpg

24437012.jpg

l91b.jpg

submission time:

i still need to figure out how to roast basil leaves without having them crinkle up like that...my oven is already on the coldest setting it can manage.

for the basil, I'm not sure really, but I'd think that if you want the glass-like basil leaves you need a form of fat, i.e. olive oil, to soak them in for awhile, since oil is hygroscopic and will absorb some of the inner moisture of the basil; then I'd probably try putting on baking parchment and doing the lowest temperature your oven can hold while letting cool air in once in awhile, because all that potential energy will build up, an oven works as a dehydrator in a pinch, but not well.

Definitely concurred, and can speak from experience. Works well with sage as well.

Or use a spider and fry dem bad boys, but not as easy to maintain structural integrity

Damn, salmon, I'd be interested just to see what you guys do, my repertoire of salmon recipes is rather small (limited to either some variations of salmon cakes or roasting with various herbs). haven't had much time/money to experiment with the smoked variety.

I like the sound of salmon and ginger though, maybe that'll work well