Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

^ yes, what you want to know?

tails are very meaty, flavourful and somewhat fatty. if you are gonna buy them get the ones that are straight and hack off the tip.

the most simple way to eat them is to either braise them or cook it in a stew/soup.

bbq'ing or deepfrying it with a mix of spices (sort of like a calamari) works as well though you may need some serious prep beforehand.

also ps: anyone here cook professionally?

as a child, i enjoyed sucking the flesh off pig tails and pretending that i was a cannibal. mostly, i simply enjoyed the garlic/black pepper/shallot juice that it absorbed so well.

also, i cook for a living. but i've only just started lol.

whats up with the next challenge? i will be going shopping tomorrow and im looking to cook up some good stuff friday and saturday .. probably sunday too.

Shit, is this week just gonna be me and Tyro then for chicken? Let's have more people in next week, and redo beef this time around. youkinorn, go ahead and use your bison if you want to, close enough.

lol, couldnt hold off for this battle thing:

hybrid philly cheese steak /hamburger sliders: sauteed onions, mushrooms, mayo, cheese, 20% lean beef ( made into patties), ketchup, lettuce, etc

S7301994.jpg

enjoyy

I get more impressed with dis by the minute...batons, paillard, tournet - wtf? All with the mix of jawns too.

razor sliced potatoes in the shape of gills, perfectly arranged? how the fuck do they even stay on as nicely as pictured?

i know you explained (& thanks to kpnv), but I suspect theory & execution can be a mile divide for the untested.

I don't have a beef recipe yet but I am mulling it over, still got a few days anyway.

readytoignite: same concept as the Iron Chef really, you can do classics, you can do originals, you can toe the middle, just tell us what you put in it and how you make it generally, and give a nice presentation, and the responders can score it.

Hope it's cool that I'm doing this a little early...had the time this weekend and didn't want to risk not getting something done.

Braised beef short rib on a quinoa and lentil pilaf, sauced with reduced, de-fatted braising liquid. Green beans with shallots and sesame seeds. Zucchini chips/fries.

xgl5w8.jpg

Rubbed the ribs down with mix of flour, couple chile powders, and s&p. Browned them in a skillet then transferred them to the slow cooker. Sweated a mirepoix in the skillet, added some spices, then deglazed with beer (used anchor liberty ale). Threw in a few dried chipotle peppers to reconstitute in the liquid. Rounded the braising liquid out with some stock and a splash of soy sauce, let it simmer for a second, then added it to the slow cooker.

Everything cooked for about 9 hours. Then pulled the ribs out, strained the liquid, defatted it, then reduced it. Made a really good sauce (wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, honestly). A little sweet from the beer, a little heat from the various chile peppers/powders.

Meat is so, so tender. Lifted one up by the bone and it came out completely clean.

I know it's nothing super-creative. I considered shredding the meat and making empanadas or something, but honestly, this sounded the best at the time. I'll go for something a little less traditional with the next ingredient, perhaps.

I'm gonna bring the quality. I'm still lost and haven't got a mental image of the dish I want to make, am time is ticking. I did cop a bunch of rare herbs and fruits and veggies that I hope I can incorporate, but somehow they're all better suited for fish dishes. :(