Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

• 4 months later...

Hello guys,

I have a problem. I want to learn to cook and need some good recipes to surprise my friends and my family.

I tried out a lot of recipes but none convinced me so I ask you whether you know some books with good cooking recipes and instructions.

I would be thankful for every good hint.

Best regards,

Hobby_cooker

• 6 months later...

Quit my job a few weeks ago to pursue cooking as a career (also, my job sucked). Think I have my first gig lined up as of today.

Been cooking a lot since I've been unemployed. Also been playing with lean dough breads. Just straight 100-60-3-2 bread, more or less. This loaf would have been really nice looking, but I made the scores a little too close together. Crumb was still pretty nice, though.

k3lr7t.jpg

2aq6qa.jpg

(also, tinypic makes my photos look like garbage)

Edited by youkinorn2

• 4 weeks later...

made dinner for a few friends (picture is a friend's, not mine)

t6a29s.jpg

Roasted vegetables, citrus, bacon, maple yogurt.

Halibut, lentils, cauliflower purée and foam, chorizo, brussels sprouts, brown butter vinaigrette, hazelnuts, shiitake powder.

Apple fritters...Thomas Keller recipe

Edited by youkinorn2

• 2 months later...

i'm sure it tastes nice, but right now it's making me feel sick fml i wish i didn't eat this crap concept.

+

right now i just put some brown lentils to soak, gonna leave them 12+ hours and try to make that bombastic dal tomorrow B) not sure if it's worth taking pics because it's easy as fack.

post a recipe?

Recipe given to my by a friend; I tried it a few weeks ago.

Take a large piece of beef; approx. 120grams per person. Don't carve.

Rub the meat in with:

garlic slices (a lot!)

rosemary

sea salt (1/10 the weight of the meat)

Wrap everything up in cling film and punch a few small holes in one side.

Store in the fridge in a large tupperware box for at least 5 days. Turn and remove excess moisture twice daily.

Take out of the fridge half an hour before serving. rub of all salt and herbs thoroughly but don't wash them of under a tap. Cut into 5mm slices and serve with aceto syrup, roast almond flakes, rucola and black currants.

You may want to trimm the edges a bit as they can become a litte too salty.

C'est toute!

6812654562_9865cd16a9_z.jpg

6958764837_483d163336_z.jpg

6958765449_e8524fe4a2_z.jpg

A week later

6830464530_2421173336_z.jpg

6976590441_cc4a74a6a0_z.jpg

6830465396_242a1d3d0a_z.jpg

Edited by Crat

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Plenty: Yotam Ottolenghi the other day. Great looking stuff, I can't wait to try a few of the recipes. I've been on the lookout for "best" or "essential" cookbooks as well, any recs? I'm also looking around for books specializing in ethnic/geographic areas, or highly unusual/unique cookbooks.

Finally, I'm sure people here know about foodgawker ? If you have any blogs/sites to share, please do.