Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

The rice cooker is hooked up to the Sous Vide Magic, which is hooked up to a power supply. The Sous vide magic also has a thermometer which you drop into you rice cooker. So basically you set the temperature you want the water bath to be, when the temperature reading drops below the desired temperature, the Sous Vide Magic turns on the rice cooker for a few seconds to raise the temp. of the water bath up, then lets it drop down again, the cycle goes on automatically.

Yeah I tend to spend my money on gadgets and food

Will this work with a fuzzy logic or IH rice cooker? I'm thinking it wont because of the rice cooker's cpu constantly analyzing pressure and temp of the pot.

OK, first ever entry...

after my quail/beet disaster last time I decided to not over think anything, and when I was thinking about ceviche I started to think about the "no-cook" idea...I don't really like ceviche but I like the thought of not messing with the salmon much, so, I made gravlax.

1f76df7a.jpg

Salt-cured salmon on organic rye toast round, dill and lemon zest garnish, peppercorns and fleur de sel with mustard dill sauce.

02cfc7ea.jpg

This shit was DELICIOUS. It looked sort of gnarly when I first rinsed off all teh salt and dill but when I started slicing it looked completely different. I want to say juicy but that sounds sort of gross. Luscious? Anyway, I have a pound of it in my fridge so I will be getting very sick of it soon I'm sure.

6592cf50.jpg

ps. step-by-step is here: :D

semi cheating with this i guess. trying out new entrees for next month and threw this together tonite

pan-seared salmon filet with orange-miso glaze. with a side of rice noodles and bokchoy/carrots stir fried with seasame oil and a wasabi-soy sauce.

IMG_0375.jpg

the salmon turned out great. the noodles and veggies were pretty sad/boring tho... probably will need to add a bit more to it or change it all together..

^ I actually tried the salmon today with a mixed green salad tossed lightly in a Ginger dressing. It was amazing but has more of a spring/summer feel too it.

I'll play with some Ginger and other veggie combos with the rice noodles later on!

I dunno man, I know I fuck with the Asian fusion a lot, but it's a little too Asian fusion/white for me, I'd expect to see that exact kind of dish (a strong slab of meat/fish with a really strong glaze bedded on some unrelated Asian afterthought thing) for like $15 at a midwestern 'Japanese grill and bistro' or something where people in huge oversized polo shirts and khakis do sake bombs.

Along the same lines, if you want to serve that slab of fish as it is, you could whip together some sort of light crispy Asian cole slaw or something; napa cabbage and regular cabbage shredded paper thin, some flat chives, get some cheap gari and shred that up, some gomashio, and then dress it in freshly squeezed orange or tangerine juice (while changing the glaze to be tangerine rather than orange, the sourness and intensity of tangerines is probably what you are going for anyway) and a bit of rice wine vinegar, like 2 or 3 parts to 1. Salmon is an oilier fish so something with crispness and astringent acidity would be better.

do you have a little blowtorch? arent they SO MUCH FUN?????????
Haha, yeah, I used to put them on broil in the oven but its so much fun to liquify that sugar yourself

Haven't had much time to cook lately with school, but to contribute to this thread a bit, here is some of the stuff I prepared with my gf. She's usually more into main dishes, while I take care of the desserts.

n51506800414476983905.jpg

n51506800411401994141.jpg

dsc0648z.jpg

this thing is called onde-onde, looks a bit gross but it's very good

dsc0442resizek.jpg

just mailorder it from guelaguetza and spend the 8 hours of your life you save on something else. they also have a great mole rojo, you're not likely to top either yourself

I didn't plan on trying.

I've never made it.

I just love it.

Also, I probably wouldn't need to order it from California, lol.

Dijonnaise, my new favorite poster.

i want it all. except for that last onde-onde cos i don't really like coconut shavings but i'm willing to try if the inside is yummy.

<3

The onde-onde is filled with some palm sugar preparation. You can almost feel the cavities popping on your teeth as you eat it, you really can't eat a whole lot

and another one of my favs which i plan on cooking this weekend for the family; chocolate soufflé

souffle.jpg

The trick is to almost under-cook it so that the inside stays all soft and buttery, hmmm

Alright, a pic heavy post. Soufflés! Pardon the poor lighting and weird kitchen, we're renovating and we're still waiting for the counter top.

DSC_0200-2.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

those things crash so fast, by the time you dust them they look all old and crippled. But it's really worth it, takes around an hour or so to prepare and it's real good, yet not too sweet