The Flight Jacket Thread

still

don't know if this is considered a flight jacket per se...it's a bomber none the less, feel free to redirect me to the other leather jacket thread (can't find)

ws2qrr.jpg

155gbvr.jpg

vpc46e.jpg

282487n.jpg

153u05u.jpg

ie2smx.jpg

was my uncles, inherited this thing of beauty, looking forward to adding to the wear

I just bought my first ever A2 jacket (Aero Leather). Sleeves will need to be replaced but i'm really looking forward to it! Pictures promised when its here

2pru58k.jpg

quick snap of my limited colorway buzz tanker that's in the supermarket, and while I'm shamelessly plugging my own thread - I'd rather not forget to mention that it's going for a stupidly low price.

edit: mention you're from this thread and i'll knock a few more duckets off the asking sale price :)

^^ aero makes a great A2... but you need to replace the sleeves?

yes, its secondhand, the right sleeve knit has some holes so it needs to be replaced (probably sometime this summer). its a 1938 seal brown goatskin with red knits

yes, its secondhand, the right sleeve knit has some holes so it needs to be replaced (probably sometime this summer). its a 1938 seal brown goatskin with red knits

Oh, the knits! I thought you had to replace the whole sleeves! that should be an easy fix, try to get the right knits with the two way knitting....

There's a vintage denim dealer in Spitalfieds I get on with well... and I am lusting after this G1.

Foster- not the most desirable maker, I know. Perfect knits and interior (I think it was Raoyon, not nylon) and best of all the fit is spot-on - 42, but slim.

He's asking £160. I've seen others for more, but Dr Heech has shown me auctions of jackets from better makers (not necessarily in better nick) for less money in the US, maybe £100-110 (but you would have to add maybe £20VAT plus £8 collection fee, plus postage).

I had the cash on me, the fit couldn't have been better, but I did restrain myself to hear your verdict...

G1.jpgG12.jpgG13.jpgG14.jpgG15.jpg

Fit pic is lousy I"m afraid... but sleeves were the perfect lenght, likewise the chest and there's no bunching at the back, it coudn't realy be better.

IMG_0142.jpg

Paul - I dig it man. A perfect fit definitely has a value and from the photo, although hard to see, it definitely looks like the fit is spot on.

I say pull the trigger.

I know nothing about this brand but a perfect fit can elevate a piece from a lesser brand over something that fits sluggish from a higher-end brand.

Just to play devils advocate, and whilst I see what stresMaldo is saying. I was in a similar situation last year and bought a repro by Brookers (who?) rather than a higher end jacket, again the fit was spot on and it looked far more expensive than it was, but..... I listed after a vintage US police leather jacket (60s Schott 602), which I ended up buying aswell, and selling the cheaper jacket.

My advice, buy what you truly love, if you love the jacket and it will satisfy your craving then go for it, if not don't, it will cost you more in the long run.

Just to point out - it is a 60s original, I nearly pressed the button on a s/h aero repro, but I much prefer this, being originl but with decent knits etc. It's whether fit and condition, and the fact I can try it on and walk home with it give it the advantage over, say, a Monarch or Star original.

I think the maker is reasonably well regarded ( particularily for G1's) and I would say that if you really like the fit, you'll likely get a lot of wear out of it.

Buying anything online that you haven't previously tried on is a bit of a crapshoot...it always makes me nervous. A2 fits from different makers vary quite a bit as you know. Measurements can get you 90% of the way there provided they're accurate ( a big proviso), but still......

How flexible is he on the price?:)

edit: nice one erk. It is in amazing shape for a jacket from 1951....another reason to err...."invest".

^Yes, mine is mid '60s. It is missing the tag, so I can only date it by detail. Not sure what your pull looks like, but that piece of rusty brass sealed the deal on my jacket. I had to really save up for that one too, $18, if I remember right.:D

@Paul

Thanks for the pics of the jacket, but £160!?!

Apart from some shoulder scuffs the condition looks ok, but has had a patch sewn to the left breast area (any other stitch holes?)

BTW, I know its not a 7823(AER), but didn't I post this to you? 1968 Martin Lane..

- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200568175104&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Condition looks great, but at the end of the day you're the one who's gonna wear it so go with your gut instinct.

And sometimes it's nice to buy local.

If you're a slim build like Paul, there are'nt gonna be any size 42's that wont.

Thank you for that... glad I got you fooled.

Actually, I can remember buying my copy for £25, er, rather more than 10 years ago, and the originals were £90-£150 then. GIven I nearly pressed the button on a DuBow this seems much better to me (and yes, I love the knits too).

Gonna give it 24 hours - I like the fact you're so hard to please, Dr H!

I like the fact you're so hard to please, Dr H!

Haha

Well, I'll take the compliment, after all It's sufu, so i should fit right in!

You think I'm finicky with G-1's and Levi's? Best not have any conversations about original Landrovers then, else we'll be here all night.

Good luck with that 7823 purchase (which face it, is gonna happen - too much pressure from your peers:D)

I say 'do it'. The last time a G-1 I wanted was for sale here at a store near me I waited, then I went down to buy it and missed it by an hour!

I did however get a slightly better and older one this weekend from the same place. The nits are a little moth eaten on mine but not too bad and I think at the moment they add character. I like them when they show a little age.

My new one is a Star Sportswear from, I believe, 1968. Which is the oldest I've seen around these parts for awhile.