The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Advice needed.

Found a fantastic vintage 1950's G-1 flight jacket, took this sneaky phone pic of the label...could some one tell me if this commands £595? cos thats what they want for it! great condition with authentic patches from 50's.

what should one expect to pay?

IMG00062-20110406-1434.jpg

I think that's actually from 1947, but that is based off of Wikipedia. I'm not sure about the price, but some of the older models can go for quite a bit. It will depend more on the condition than anything, but it also matters if you want to spend that much on it. Can you snap any more pics of it?

Contract ran from '47-'51 and was the first of the G-1 designations. Star are a quality maker, and if the jacket is in good condition you could pay up to half that. But that jacket would have to be mint unissued to go for nearly £600 ! Previous designations (M-422a..etc) can command high prices if they have history/patches/photos..etc, but I personally think that jacket is WELL overpriced. You could get a custom made Goodwear for that!

cheers guys!! yeah would have to be a long hard think before splashing out!

whats interesting is that you mention the contract was from 47-51, the patches on the arms actually say '1956 squadron' or what ever the correct military term is, cant remember off hand.

also another noob question... the same place has a similar 'early 50's' horsehide, union made A-2 jacket WITH handwarmers. am I right in thinking that handwarmers are a much later/more commercial thing and isnt actually classed as vintage?

thanks again!

No milspec A-2 would have handwarmers. Actually, no vintage milspec A-2 has handwarmers. Someone said that USAF has reissued A-2s with handwarmers, but it wasn't a reliable source, so don't quote me on that.

cheers guys!! yeah would have to be a long hard think before splashing out!

whats interesting is that you mention the contract was from 47-51, the patches on the arms actually say '1956 squadron' or what ever the correct military term is, cant remember off hand.

also another noob question... the same place has a similar 'early 50's' horsehide, union made A-2 jacket WITH handwarmers. am I right in thinking that handwarmers are a much later/more commercial thing and isnt actually classed as vintage?

thanks again!

It's vintage, but not Milspec - there were civilian jackets made with hand pockets, but otherwise cut as an A-2 (one piece back, short waisted, epaulets). It might be a 50's jacket, or not. It depends. Do they have a cloe up of the zipper? That might help determine age...

• 2 weeks later...
yesterday my daughter borrowed "The little Prince" from the public library.

i know that de Saint-Exupery was a pilot in WWII,but finding these two pics of him wearing an A 2 was a nice surprise.

5603006790_463c9907ba_z.jpg

That looks suspiciously like Rowan Atkinson.

hello forum..

i need some help please..

can anyone recommend an amazing leather repair service please for my Visvim Elmdorft A-2 styled horsehide jacket.

i spoke to Visvim Japan, and with the repair and shipping it will surly come close to a $500 USD expense, so i am hopping for a domestic.

anything in NYC by any chance?

my jacket has a hand-warmer style pocket, there is a reinforced stitching that has broken at the left jacket pocket and needs to get restitched, but under the lining:

Visvim_Elmdorft_Repairs001.jpg

there is a nasty ripe in fabric tube at the right arm sleeve that is continuing to get worse, so i would love to have this replaced:

Visvim_Elmdorft_Repairs002.jpg

thanks again for any time or help.

my best

• 2 weeks later...
Airfrog, that is drop-dead beautiful. Stripped-down and military, but almost baroque in that abundance of texture. I shall dream of it.

Thanks Paul, its a real beauty. John Chapman makes so mighty fine repro flight jackets. Look great with my 209 coveralls too. The Mrs calls me a farmer LoL...