THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Flathead 3001 or Skull 5010XX?

both are excellent choices. i own the 5010 6x6's and like them very much, but from what i've seen i'm more impressed with the color/fading on the 3001's. presonally though, i like Skull's (FabFour's, Alchemist's) brand image. whatever you choose, you cant go wrong with either one.

I'm looking for a work jean for this summer. Right now for regular jeans, I have:

Kicking Mule 1980

Skull 5507xx

Sugarcane 1947 (coming in the mail)

They're all slim fit but not really tight. I like them, I'm a pretty average guy--6'1, 165 lbs, so I don't like tight jeans but I'm not a fan of baggies either.

I work at a sno-plow factory where temperatures can go from 75-90 degrees. It gets hot as hell to wear jeans, so I'd like to go with something lighter. Also, I get a lot of dirt and crap all over since I'm using various sprays and chemicals

I'd also like a jean that's a bit more wide straight leg and not too tight on the butt. Any reccomendations? I was thinking APC Rescue might be a good choice.

Okay, so I've narrowed my choices for my next pair down to two:

KMW Rockers

or

Somets (not sure whether to go with straight or slim fit)

I know that the Somet Straights have a 36.5" inseam and are sanforized, so that should suit me in the length department (I'm 6'4). However, I'm unsure about what style to get. I've seen Sam from Context wearing the straights and they look great, but he said they stretched, and I've seen Serge de Nimes wearing the slims and they look basically the same. I don't want stalkings, but I don't want something that will become 'unslim' over time.

The KMWs, however are shown on Context as only having a 36" inseam, and I don't know if they're sanforized or not. However, I've heard from Kiya in one of his posts that the Rockers run longer than the tagged inseam. Can anyone supply me with some solid inseam specs on these?

So please, Superfuture, help me decide, THIS... OR THAT?

situation:

Store near me is selling tons of brand new crate denim (sally and james) for 60 bucks a piece. I'm in high school so I'm poor and am saving up to get BLACK raw denim, which they don't have, sadly. (sally is dark blue, james is just blue). I have lots of time to decide since people around here don't buy crate since it isn't a well known label...buy? or save for black at normal price from some other place.

I've worn sally's for a while, and I can't say I recommend them. In the beginning I felt they were pretty good, but then I just got really disappointed. They also get quite fucked after a wash...

Save for something better... what black jeans do you want to get?

KMW rockers are sanforized, a 34" inseam IS a TRUE 36" inseam, waist does stretch fairly quickly i would suggest toughing it out for a week and going for a size down one. hard decision between the KMW and the Somets personally I love the fit of the Rockers but I would love a pair of Somets, close call but I would go with the Somets

KMW rockers are sanforized, a 34" inseam IS a TRUE 36" inseam, waist does stretch fairly quickly i would suggest toughing it out for a week and going for a size down one. hard decision between the KMW and the Somets personally I love the fit of the Rockers but I would love a pair of Somets, close call but I would go with the Somets

Thanks for your input.

I think that both the pairs I'm looking at are just about as good as you can get as far as quality goes. I've seen the fit of the Rockers (not in person), and I liked it a lot, but I haven't seen too many fits of the Somets, especially the slims.

I'd like to hear from some people who have owned either Rockers or Somets to help me decide..

I've worn sally's for a while, and I can't say I recommend them. In the beginning I felt they were pretty good, but then I just got really disappointed. They also get quite fucked after a wash...

Save for something better... what black jeans do you want to get?

Ok thanks..I guess I'll save, then. I'm not sure, im completely new to raw denim so need to do more research. I also have to decide whether to order online or see what I can find when I go to LA in a couple weeks. Thinking of seeing what's at american rag. Any good ideas for stuff in LA? Preferably under 200 since im only a poor high schooler..

I'm new to high-end denim, but looking to get a nice pair of jeans that'll last a while and look good. I live out in the boonies, though, so actually getting out and trying on a nice pair is virtually impossible. That said, could I get some feedback on what kind of jeans to get? Some parameters:

5'7" and roughly 165lbs, fairly athletic build

33.5" waist (top of pelvis, where I like to wear my jeans)

22.5" thigh

My favorite pair of jeans right now are some Edwin 503 straight leg, which brand new measure:

32.5" waist (currently stretched to 33.5 on me)

10.5" front rise

12.75" thigh

8.5" leg opening

I really like the way these jeans fit, so I'm looking for something roughly along those lines (although I could probably go a bit slimmer in the thigh, as these ones are a little loose). My price range is $150-$250, and I'd prefer a Japanese brand because hey, it's Japan.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

PICTURES:

http://imagesocket.com/view/DSCF0554f1a.JPG

http://imagesocket.com/view/DSCF055570f.JPG

http://imagesocket.com/view/DSCF0556aa2.JPG

Part 1. oooooo big hunka manman

Part 2. Samurai S0500XX

I wish I was 6'2" and 145lbs, this process would be so much easier:(

I like the way the samurais look, they're a little more tapered or something than the s5000vx, right? Also, someone else suggested Iron Heart 634s... they look absolutely fantastic from everything I've seen, but it gets ~110 here in the summer and I value my life. Any other suggestions? I'm sorry to badger, but I basically have one shot at this as I don't have a spare $250 sitting around if I get uncomfortable jeans.

EDIT: Tried on Levis 514 today and I really like the fit. With my waist size, a 31 fits snugly and a 32 fits a little more relaxed. Does this help at all?

I was thinking about eternal 872's, SD-003's, or full count 1108 - I kinda like the 'uniqueness' of 872's thrown in the rotation, but for some reason I swear to god I feel like the 1108's are fucking calling me, but nah you wouldn't understand... SD-003 I like but I think they're a third place contender although I like the vertical fading that comes on those.

1. Samurai S5000BK

OR

2. Pure Blue Japan XX-005BK

Samurai's.

I was thinking about eternal 872's, SD-003's, or full count 1108 - I kinda like the 'uniqueness' of 872's thrown in the rotation, but for some reason I swear to god I feel like the 1108's are fucking calling me, but nah you wouldn't understand... SD-003 I like but I think they're a third place contender although I like the vertical fading that comes on those.

go with your instinct and get the full counts then

LGC or Tanner belt?

tanner ftw

Are Uniqlos still selvage or has it been discontinued?

I got some last year which were, but have read on another thread here that it wasn't for their Spring- Summer '07 line.

i remember reading somewhere that F/W '07 will have selvedge denim.

I wish I was 6'2" and 145lbs, this process would be so much easier:(

I like the way the samurais look, they're a little more tapered or something than the s5000vx, right? Also, someone else suggested Iron Heart 634s... they look absolutely fantastic from everything I've seen, but it gets ~110 here in the summer and I value my life. Any other suggestions? I'm sorry to badger, but I basically have one shot at this as I don't have a spare $250 sitting around if I get uncomfortable jeans.

EDIT: Tried on Levis 514 today and I really like the fit. With my waist size, a 31 fits snugly and a 32 fits a little more relaxed. Does this help at all?

The S0500xx and the S5000VX are the same cut, actually but in different denim:

S0500XX is Texas Cotton, 15oz., S5000VX is Zimbabwe Cotton, 17oz. If you're worried about the heat, go with the S0500XX, you won't be disappointed.

im planning to get a pair of 45rpm's but what is their heaviest denim jean? and what fits like the samurai s500xx ? thanks o much!

I don't think any of the 45rpm denim is heavier than 14 - 14,5 oz ....correct me if I'm mistaken...

Fit wise - I really don't think that there's a similar fit like the S0500XX in the 45rpm range