THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Alright guys. I think i've narrowed my first denim purchase down to 3 candidates:

A.) Grim Tim Dry Organic

B.) ST-100x Slim Leg 3Sixteen

C.) APC Denim Petite Standard

URL's:

A.) http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=226

B.) http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=437

C.) http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=665

The absolutely biggest worry I have is how the jean will look on my body because I have large thighs of 10.75", knees of 7.125" and I don't like baggy pants. I wear my jeans tight-ish, with enough room for my boys. Until recently I wore Levi 511's, but they got too tight.

Hope you guys can help a future denim-addict out!

Looking to get a pair of brown boots. What do you guys recommend? (wish I could find Alden Roys in brown leather in my size)

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots in Brown

Thorogood X Epaulet Boots in Horsehide

Alden Rough Roy Boots

I hear the Wolverine's soles wear our quick, but when I tried them on they were super comphy. I love the low toe profile of the Aldens. And I hear the Thorogoods are very compy and good quality for the price.

Thanks for any opinions.

Get the Alden Pitt Boots in CXL that Leather Soul just released.

Looking to get a pair of brown boots. What do you guys recommend? (wish I could find Alden Roys in brown leather in my size)

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots in Brown

Thorogood X Epaulet Boots in Horsehide

Alden Rough Roy Boots

The Horween chromexcel on the Wolverines is really nice. Concrete sidewalks eat these soles like crazy. I should be resoling mine soon.

thorogood X epaulet boots are best bang for buck, Wolverines are great but the toe box doesnt wear well. There is also a big cost in having to get it resoled a lot. I generally dont like rought out boots (im assuming the roys are rough out)

I seriously can't believe this is even a discussion. The quality difference between anything Alden makes, and either of the other boots you are looking at is immense. Anyone who tells you otherwise, is blind, or doesn't know what they are talking about. The Thorogoods and Wolverines are both fashion boots riding the crashing crest of the heritage trendfucking wave. The Aldens are nice boots.

^ Obviously the people who commented (including me) are aware of Alden's status and their price-tag. We're considering value-for-money, quality, functionality, as well as personal preferences in the upper and outsole material, etc.

Have a look at the other brands 'regular' offerings, especially Thorogood's (Weinbrenner), and you tell me they don't make value-for-money work boots that actually get used as work boots?

How many pairs of Alden's high work shoes do you reckon still get used as regular work boots for regular workmen at $400+ a pair? How many pairs on the feet of hipsters? On the feet of people like me who don't do any manual work? Cordovan & fancy coloured rough-outs not 'fashion boots' status either?

You mention the immense differences in quality. What do you mean? Anything to back this statement up?

Not trying to be overly antagonistic with Alden - I love my Indy boots to death - but I don't think Alden's quality is the end-all, and certainly we need to give Thorogood and Wolverine a fair go as well (it is not like they're pricing their boots in the same range as Alden's are - the Thorogood ones are especially fair at $245.)

Both have been around long enough to re-release some of their older models - they do actually have the heritage to back it up! So what if they are riding the heritage trend wave? At least they are legitimately re-making their own boots.

Wolverines and Thorogoods are fashion boots? That's a tough statement to take seriously. And as for "riding the crashing crest of the heritage trendfucking wave", Alden's been surfing along right there with them. The company has also had some well documented issues with quality control following its decision to pump out as many pairs as possible to cash in on the trend, so I would be hesitant to say that the differences in quality are immense.

the iron rangers

and in reply to the previous question; considering value for money; id go with the horsehide thorogoods

Wolverines and Thorogoods are fashion boots? That's a tough statement to take seriously. And as for "riding the crashing crest of the heritage trendfucking wave", Alden's been surfing along right there with them. The company has also had some well documented issues with quality control following its decision to pump out as many pairs as possible to cash in on the trend, so I would be hesitant to say that the differences in quality are immense.

I'm going to stop shitting this thread up, but if you don't understand the difference between Alden producing the same shoes they have been producing for years, in the same way, with the only actual change they've made in years being what leathers they offer, and Wolverine contracting other companies to make boots for them, then perhaps you should't be advising people on such things. I've seen more than a few pairs of Alden's worn heavily, and I've now seen a few pairs of 1000 mile boots that started ugly and only got worse. The Thorogoods might not be bad, but if they are anything like every other Thorogood I've seen, they are a pretty coarse boot, with much more in common with Corcoran than Alden.

Wolverine contracting other companies to make boots for them, then perhaps you should't be advising people on such things. I've seen more than a few pairs of Alden's worn heavily, and I've now seen a few pairs of 1000 mile boots that started ugly and only got worse.

True as it may be, this doesn't make discussion irrelevant!

This is a forum, it was made for discussion - your personal thoughts or opinions, while valued, shouldn't preclude others from discussing.

Would you mind sharing with us your personal experiences with Alden's and Wolverine's boots since you've got so much criticism to throw around?

"Started ugly and only got worse?"

That's pretty subjective ain't it?

Is it the way the Chromexcel easily creases on the vamp? The tone of the leather itself? The shape of the toe box?

Re: the Alden's... the laces and out-sole material they're using have changed since the 1980's...who knows how many other specs or manufacturing processes have changed since early last century. Do you?

The Thorogoods might not be bad, but if they are anything like every other Thorogood I've seen, they are a pretty coarse boot, with much more in common with Corcoran than Alden.

So, what you're saying is: you haven't actually handled the Thorogood x Epaulet boots in person?

Why are you hammering it then?

What standards of design and styling are on Alden's that you reckon all other boots should comply to?

Sure, Thorogood's regular offerings are 'coarser' than the average pair of Alden boots - but that's because they're actually affordable, made in USA work boots!

While I love my Indy's, I don't think they are without fault (have a look at the heel-stack construct pic I posted in the Shoe/Boot thread or my blog).

the second ones. are they the iron rangers? them anyway.
the iron rangers

and in reply to the previous question; considering value for money; id go with the horsehide thorogoods

ahh. the mcnairy are going for about 30% off so its really tempting lol.

tough tough decision!

Would you mind sharing with us your personal experiences with Alden's and Wolverine's boots since you've got so much criticism to throw around?

I'd like to answer this and the other questions you posed, but I was serious about not shitting up this thread, and for me to adequately respond to your queries, it's going to take a little bit of time. When I get my response together, I'll post it in Shoes That Look Better With Age...or maybe just on a blog I've been meaning to start posting on.

^ Agree with this, and you are certainly in the right place to do your research. Read the brands respective threads, check out all the fit pics, then make a decision.

the main difference in denim is:

Iron heart uses a thicker thread then normal jeans to achieve the weight, leading to a much softer heavy weight denim thats better for all weather because its much more breathable.

Samurai uses the same thread thickness as mid weight jeans but makes the weave a lot more denser leading to a crunchier feel thats less breathable. The crunch adds to contrast and im a fan of the crunch, also good for winter. Samurai are also unsanforized