THIS OR THAT? (Use me for all your Should I Buy...? questions)

tweeds

Hey all, I've been looking into getting some Edwin jeans but are they sold anywhere in America? Preferebly San Francisco area? If Rakuten is the only place, then I'm probably going to need a Japanese friend to help me out.

This has probably been asked before but after some searching I decided to ask here rather than sift through hundreds of thread pages.

I'm 17 and new to the whole high end denim purchasing... I'm tired of looking for decent jeans in the $40-80 dollar range, and always having to replace them every half a year - year.

Do you think I should go ahead and purchase a pair of highend jeans? (Maybe two). I'm looking for a darker, slim fit (but not skinny) pair of jeans, and willing to spend around $150.00. Currently I'm looking into Evisus, Nudies, and APC. Any recommendations?

I'm 17 and new to the whole high end denim purchasing... I'm tired of looking for decent jeans in the $40-80 dollar range, and always having to replace them every half a year - year.

Do you think I should go ahead and purchase a pair of highend jeans? (Maybe two). I'm looking for a darker, slim fit (but not skinny) pair of jeans, and willing to spend around $150.00. Currently I'm looking into Evisus, Nudies, and APC. Any recommendations?

Out of those choices, go for the APC....New Standard. The lower-priced Evisus aren't the greatest quality, and I have no comment on the Nudies. ;)

Are there any other choices that you would recommend (brand-wise).

And if Evisu-low ends are still decent, I may still consider buying them, since I've seen them going for around $80 in the Supermarket section, which isn't bad at all.

$80 is a good price for a standard pair of jeans. Its hard to recommend any other pairs under $150 besides the ones you mentioned...the stuff discussed on this board is typically selvage/japanese denim....they tend to be $250+. If you're willing to order from Japan, there would be a few more options.

Well I'm only looking for some startup jeans to get into the whole denim deal... Most likely will not be spending over $200 since I don't know too much about this stuff yet.

Would it be cheaper to buy the jeans in Japan? I visit once a year, since I get very low prices plane tickets, and would my savings be considerable? I could probably go over there this winter to shop... but again, I'm not sure I want to put so much money into my first pair since I'm just starting out.

Would you recommend going for a selvage/japanese pair?

yea it will be cheaper or about the same depending on the pairs

sugar cane is much cheaper in japan, or at least it was.

why don't you try out the uniqlo jeans? they're pretty nice, esp. for 80 dollars or whatever small amount they ask for them.

Is there a substantial difference in the denim or the dye job? I've read through the SDA site but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of super-technical stuff.

SDA has great denim, but not the XX1 stuff...its lighter-weight, sanforized, etc. Its still nice, but the SC's is heavier, zimbabwe cotton, double ringspun, etc. etc. The SC's will also be much easier to acquire.

I'm leaning towards the polished one as I want a more dress/formal wallet, but being black i think they both get the point across. That distressed one looks great as well. help me!!! The distressed will hide any wear better i believe as well....

The polished one will eventually look like the distressed one. No zipper wallet will ever be "formal" really, but when you're pulling out your wallet, you've made most every impression that matters.

Get the polished one, enjoy dressing it up for a bit, end up with the distressed one after a few months.

iron heart or flat head? they seem pretty similar... anybody have a pair of either?

Worlds apart.

Ironheart is super-thick, megaheavy duty denim that wears slowly. It's invincible.

Flathead denim wears quickly (especially when eaten away by rot and mold), is about 2/3 the weight of IH, and closer to normal denim durability.

I've a pair of IH 1634s that I wear, they feel somehow stretchy, very comfortable, but quite warm. I wore a pair of FH S5003s around for a month, they got quite hairy, the IH's never do. The FHs got a bit streaky and had pronounced whiskering and bike seat fades after only a few weeks.

My IHs with wear are black though. The 634Ss are in the plans, but I gots no money.

On the pre-Frontier series FH jeans I had stitching coming out all over after a few weeks wear, but I'm extremely hard on jeans. On the IHs, if I ironed out the back of my knees, they'd still look like I bought them today.

I don't like one or the other more, I still want a FH jean in the fullness of time, but they're nothing alike.