Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

No doubt, Kiya. When you mentioned earlier that there were only going to be around 40 shirts I knew these weren't going to be cheap. In terms of price, I was hoping for the best. It's insane to make a shirt by hand. Roy's a nut. Add in all the details and such, and had I only known earlier in the year before springing for the RN04s...

... I still probably would have bought the RN04s.

When you mentioned earlier that there were only going to be around 40 shirts I knew these weren't going to be cheap.

The number of shirts made has nothing to do with the price, had he made 300 it would have still been the same price. Such is the pricing structure when somebody tries to make something like a pair of jeans or shirts without any employees or interns.

When I first accessed your website, it was not yet posted, at least I couldn't find it. The XL is generously sized, well done!

Edit - I see why - when you go from the "Brands We Carry", it's not posted yet. Go from the alpha. list below, it comes up.

Edited by lance

awesome Roy shirt. I will have to sit this one out though. Im not crazy about double tab neck closures, and at that price, well its gotta be 100% to my liking. who am I fooling, with only 45 available, and being tied up all day Saturday, I most likely wont even have a chance at one anyways.

The number of shirts made has nothing to do with the price, had he made 300 it would have still been the same price. Such is the pricing structure when somebody tries to make something like a pair of jeans or shirts without any employees or interns.

Yes and no, had Roy of made 300 of them, he/you would probably be left with 255 of them this time next year.

No doubt it is a nice shirt but we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that it is bloody expensive and only limited numbers can afford to part with that amount of cash

Edited by s16g

Yes and no, had Roy of made 300 of them, he/you would probably be left with 255 of them this time next year.

No doubt it is a nice shirt but we shouldn't loose sight of the fact that it is bloody expensive and only limited numbers can afford to part with that amount of cash

Trust me, had Roy made 300 of this shirt it would have taken us between 5 and 7 days to sell out of every single one. You're severely underestimating the demand for anything from him right now.

You're right, I'm just saying that the number of shirts made is directly proportional to the price of the item. Clearly though there are a number of other factors as to why only 45 are being made.

This is true with 99% of anything that goes into production at a factory, this is not true with anything Roy produces. As Devin said above, if Roy makes 10 or 1000 of anything he still needs to get paid the same amount for each item unless he gets so fast that he's making far more per day.

FYI, the reason there's only 45 is because thats all the fabric he had.

Edited by kiya

if Roy makes 10 or 1000 of anything he still needs to get paid the same amount for each item

Agreed, I wasn't saying otherwise.

My overarching point is that if demand out-weighs supply, an item is not "allowed" to be labelled as expensive and price becomes irrelevant.

Hey just wanted to double check if the lighter has been sent or will be soon? Its been 2 weeks now and I havent gotten a package or email saying it was shipped. Thanks.

I think this got overlooked. It was guna be a present for a friend and its way past now, just making sure it wasnt overlooked or out of stock. Thanks.

why not contact SE direct? You get an answer quicker and it looks better all round.

This is a SENY thing and i'm finding out what happened here and i or Andrew from SENY will get back to him asap.

from all the discussion here about the price of the roy shirt, i was expecting it to cost $500.... i dont want to trivialize $310 but you guys have shopped at self edge before and know roy's shit, right?

Yeah, that shirt is less than most of the Flat Head long-sleeves on SE. The price seems pretty reasonable to me, all things considered.

Kiya,

that crazy perforation, will it weaken the shirt? I was just curious about it. It's beautiful, no doubt. But will it be durable?

I hope not! We'll see? haha.. Nobody has ever done that stitch on a shirt down the placket, Roy says it'll hold with no issues.

From Roy explaining to me how the stitch and accompanying machine work, and from watching it operate, I cant imagine it will have an deleterious effect on the integrity of the shirt. It's not actually creating any holes; it doesn't remove fabric. All it does is move the threads into bundles and essentially wrap them up. If anything it might make it stronger by bundling threads. The only risk would be if you caught something in one of the gaps and yanked, but even then it'd likely fair better than if you did that on a part of the shirt with regular fabric, again because of the added strength from bundling.