Self Edge, SF/NY/LA/PDX - updates & info

kiya

darn! didnt get the response to make it before the sale ended.....oh well :(

and hm, the houndstooth fits closer to the skin? cause i have the old grey/black one, and i have my exact measurement in the chest, 40,and it fits snug there, but from the lower chest down, its not snug at all, a little loose actually...

There's some healthy conversation going on here, Sufu needs to get involved, no registration necessary:

http://missionmission.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/obsessed-with-denim/

I spent about 15 minutes trying to craft a contribution to the discussion, but my previous experiences debating the merits of thoughtfully designed and produced products with individuals who focus first and foremost (or exclusively) on sticker price as their way of forming their opinions on places of business have me convinced that I would just end up beating my head against my desk.

I spent about 15 minutes trying to craft a contribution to the discussion, but my previous experiences debating the merits of thoughtfully designed and produced products with individuals who focus first and foremost (or exclusively) on sticker price as their way of forming their opinions on places of business have me convinced that I would just end up beating my head against my desk.

I feel similarly... SE is a single-proprietor (or rather, one couple-proprietor?) store occupying a little space on one block. It's not a chain or obnoxious in any way. The garments inside the store aren't some douchebag-attracting Ed Hardy-esque pieces. I don't see why some people get so mad about a store dedicated to the pursuit of procuring extremely well made products. Some people will always complain about high prices, but if they felt and tried on the products in Kiya's store then they might see why the stuff isn't cheap - because it's so well made. I have several friends who aren't into the denim thing but who have been to Self Edge before and understand why the pieces are on the pricier side.

Answer: just blow up the Mission district. Apparently that's what the locals want.

Answer: just blow up the Mission district. Apparently that's what the locals want.

That there is what we call ON POINT.

Kiya, I'm afraid most of those haters need convincing, quick go give them all a pair of free denimpants!

Seriously, the way people are protecting "their Mission District" is some of the saddest I've ever seen.

You know, it's a bit overblown. The entire thing about the protests is really not THAT big of a movement, it's a select few getting another select few that have a lot of time on their hands to fight against something.

I'm not referring to the entire AA debacle that took place last month, it's more so just the entire mentality of the Mission does not coincide with the few protesters that spend their time bashing anything expensive while drinking their single origin single cup made coffee in front of Ritual.

its funny, it so parallels what happended years ago in kreuzberg, berlin.

in the current time, 'kreuzberg' inhabitants have to fight fast food chains.

we just got the first mcdonald with a huge protest.

whenever I walk by the place at night, I always have the impression I saw all those eating burgers on the protest march.

Guest devil.beside.you

Regarding the whole mission thing....

I did a little business presentation for school the other day - it's about different types of marketing philosophies, and my subject was selvedge denim

Your philosophy towards a product is the most important influence...I think the superdenim community understands selvedge denim. That is, we are able to look at the artisan aspects involved, such as construction details, product history etc.... We look at the product first, and then the price tag after. People that say the kind of shit that has been flying around don't see the philosophy behind japanese denim companies at all, nor do they understand anything about self edge or any other retail store. To them, it's just another goddamn pair of over priced jeans =P

I challenge them to actually spend an afternoon at selfedge, or BiG or any other store dedicated to selvedge, with an open mind. Then we'll see what they have to say

You know, it's a bit overblown. The entire thing about the protests is really not THAT big of a movement, it's a select few getting another select few that have a lot of time on their hands to fight against something.

I'm not referring to the entire AA debacle that took place last month, it's more so just the entire mentality of the Mission does not coincide with the few protesters that spend their time bashing anything expensive while drinking their single origin single cup made coffee in front of Ritual.

what's funny is how closely this situation mirrors the state of protest in berkeley. with real outrage going on all around the globe, these people devote themselves to climbing in trees.

you know, back in my berkeley days, it seemed like 'civil disobedience' occurred around the time some protestors wanted to score some gap hoodie in the ensuing riot.