1 hour ago, louisbosco said:

oh what a shame.. i've got good memories of SF from when i visited back in 2008. back then, the vibe i got from the city was that it was really artsy, vibrant and such freedom in exploring the arts and what not, kinda like freedom to express yourself. but of course, visiting is very different from living there. would love a trip there again some day.

thats the old SF.  Now its all young tech boi's "disrupting the system", building apps so people can spend even less time face to face and more time fucking around on a mobile device.  its a shame.  

One of my Favorite watches I used to own was an Ollech and Wajs Caribbean 1000.  It looked similar to that, as it seems that was the style for divers watches in the era.  I personally love the look.  Although I did tests and can guarantee the thing wasnt WR to 1000M.  The crown tube was friction fitted to the case vs higher end divers watches that actually were screwed in.  It passed the general pressure tests that most table top machines could test for but it failed a couple of times until I rigged up an epoxy solution.  

^That's the scary thing about vintage for me, though there are many a model I'd love to collect. I just don't have the confidence or peace of mind to wear something of fragility that I'd likely mess up or ding as soon as I put it on my wrist, or come in contact with water etc. My loss!

So I did some training at Breitling in Connecticut where their US service center is.  For most of their pilot watches they just pressure test with desktop machines.  They simulate a certain Bar, I cannot remember the exact but more than any desktop diver would go,  but without water.  If any leaks occur it does this weird sporadic pressure release until its safe to open the unit so you can dig in a see where the failure was.  However they had this special room where they had this beefy pressure tester that used both actual water and vacuum (i think this was the case, my memory is a bit foggy on the specifics so I could be wrong).  But what I do know is the glass viewing port was super thick and you had to "batten down the hatch" like a submarine before you could use it.  It was a wild sight to see and my guess cost many many thousands of dollars

^nice! And very reputable. My wife has a similar Zodiac inherited from her great-uncle, I'll get a pic up sometime.

I have my debut performance in a choir I joined tonight, so I have to (slightly) dress up. No one's going to notice, but I've picked out this Hy. Moser, with a really unusual bottle-cap dial:

ED3C6F41-2892-4FF6-8D53-0C2049E982B2.thumb.jpeg.94b60256fbb7b9251e799ed65fd82d4b.jpeg

I just pulled the trigger on the watchuseek forum for a bronze Evant Tropic dive watch with a black fume dial, basically this model:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/tropic-diver-bronze-fume-black-limited-edition-100-sold-out

I've been wanting a bronze dive watch for a while. My itch is scratched, for now.

1 hour ago, louisbosco said:

old vs new. next to my mate's pair sometime back.. seriously, the red sub makes the new gmt looks like a cheap watch.. :(

Love the GMTII bezel though...

3 hours ago, Tapori said:

1975 Seiko 5.

Here's ~ a decade earlier, with transitional Sportsmatic/5 branding:

IMG_4569.thumb.jpg.d798ecefa1aef2159638c6e1a3e3dd39.jpg 

@louisbosco you know my thoughts on the BLNR lol...Only thing that gets me is the polished center link; Do you find that it's an issue at all (ie: worrying about scratches), or do you embrace it all as wabisabi? I love a beat up Rolex, but would also appreciate a brushed bracelet option similar to the Sub's

18 minutes ago, Nei.Nor said:

Www cyma watch today. Love the dial on these.

Beautiful! Is that one of the Dirty Dozen? 

I heard a Japanese company now has the license for Cyma and is doing military reissues. I've not looked for them, but have you seen anything? Any good?

50 minutes ago, rodeo bill said:

Beautiful! Is that one of the Dirty Dozen? 

I heard a Japanese company now has the license for Cyma and is doing military reissues. I've not looked for them, but have you seen anything? Any good?

Yes - one of the more common ones. But it's arguably one of the most wearable ones - as it's one of the few that has an all steel case.

I saw that as well. I think the 'purists' on various forums didn't think much of them but personally I quite like the designs they put out. I've not seen one in person though.

Edited by Nei.Nor

49 minutes ago, rodeo bill said:

Tender 'hands on' today, on a GS/TP bracelet 

4586634B-7689-46EE-8B31-833FB236FDAF.thumb.jpeg.5900fea41c444b97a60afe0e16fb936b.jpeg

Love these! The black dial one was especially good!

edit: just started to google image again - forgot about the bronze/copper dial one. That was superb as well...

Edited by Nei.Nor

Thanks! They were really fun to do. I would have loved to keep going, but the watchmaker who put them together retired, and it was quite a nice self-contained project. Then the opportunity of designing a brand that became GS/TP came up, so my watch-directed output has gone in that direction. 

Really enjoying posting in this thread, it's nice to look at my watches with fresh eyes and make the effort to wear something different each day.

@aho honestly, i'm not too fussed about the bracelet. firstly, i wear them 99% of the time with a nato strap and i change back to the bracelet every now and then when i feel like it. also, if they had gone all brushed, i'd doubt it'll look that good with the font of the GMT bezel and the tone of the ceremic bezel, which i feel is more due to the tone and sheen of the ceremic bezel. i look at the scratches every now and then, but if i were to baby it, the watch would be probably sitting the the box all the time and not see any wear. it's almost impossible to avoid the scratches. with that said, i'm currently looking at add a RubberB bracelet to the collection of accessories..