TCB: happy jeans contest

aho

Really sucks hearing about your stolen gear Volvo. Hopefully karma kicks them hard in the nuts - repeatedly.

Moving on, here's a short report from some shananigans in Sweden this weekend:

I went for a few hours long drive down to Växjö in southern Sweden to visit a friend and watch Markus Krunegård perform. He does pretty good pop music. Though he sings in swedish these days he used to have a band called Laakso and sing in english ~10 years ago. I listened to 'High Drama' like mad when I was a teenager.

The venue was really small (and with a bloody great beer selection). Totally cramped with 200 people in a basement. 

15755485031_b4a9841d06_c.jpg

15571936288_9e9abc59c3_c.jpg

Markus held a speech between two songs, addressing the growing issues of racism in Sweden. I think it's very important that rolemodels in popular culture make a stand, and I was happy that I got to say my gratitude for that in person after the gig was over. Me and Markus in shitty lighting:

15572193857_bf3713a327_c.jpg

With my mate being a major Knicks fan we always watch the games when we hang out. Of course they sucked ass like always and lost both to Brooklyn Nets and Atlanta Hawks.

15571508749_9b6bb84d0b_c.jpg

On sunday we went for a walk to see the castle. They're using it as a hotel these days. It was pretty small but I like the look of it.

15571508549_c1ac6db4e0_c.jpg

15571936628_3e7ffc11d3_c.jpg

somehow I bungled this post up real bad.

So sorry to hear about the robbery volvo. I hope they turn up for you. you never know.

and paul - you have an original 62??! you've got to share some pictures.

ranonranonarat, on 10 Nov 2014 - 12:00 AM, said:snapback.png

erk those pants look good on you! they barely look half as loose as you described!

if you're referring to the show picture I posted - you can't see my pants in it. I'm the guy on the right side of the pic. 

Edited by erk

I don't really take pictures well or have the habit to post them onto forums, but here is yesterday night's supper. Had some chinese food which are really gaining popularity in Singapore.

462.jpg

5488cfc8-7050-4a3d-891f-0cc470bba8a9.jpg

Not much roping on the jeans as of now, don't get to wear them that much too.

494.jpg

Nothing to report regarding denim evolution but I did drink a couple of tasty beers this weekend: 

I had a few good beers this weekend. Since there seems to be a couple of fellow beer lovers around I thought I'd share some pics. Apologies for the crappy lighting:

15619345310_f87bd2793d_z.jpg

15780532796_5d486c23d7_z.jpg

15184746913_003e2059ac_z.jpg

15619011997_45a5b6f62b_z.jpg

15618376269_94216a3952_z.jpg

No big updates for me too. It's been a weekend of miserable weather. Lot of places in my area have been flooded, thank God nothing happened at my village, we live very close to a river side and we're always a little bit worried when it rains a lot.

I spent most of the week end laying on a rug and working hard on my daddy style fades!

DF545204-308D-4D78-B46D-5A79650C6F52_zps

Edited by volvo240thebest

Pretty slow going lately, but planning to throw the jeans in for another wash this week...

In the past week: 

Shake Shack opened in Chicago...Pretty good compared with the original, but my patties come out dry each time I go there (have had 4 burgers so far, double patties each time):

15815341711_51b16a2ece_c.jpg

Also just discovered the hands down best vintage shop in Chicago this past weekend, expertly curated with deadstock items and some insane finds like 1940s deadstock Big Yank shirts, etc. On top of sourcing insane product, fair pricing, and great people all around, this is also the first time I felt clean at a vintage shop. No musty smells, mothballs or fear of bugs here!

15815342361_7a83a02414_c.jpg

15631816128_7495ce304c_c.jpg

Pics of the jeans coming post wash! I don't think i'll get much contrast or whiskering on them as I'm not wearing them hard and plan to wash maybe weekly here on out...

no for fuck sake! volvos were not included in the patch design, otherwise it could have been an idea ahaha!

kidding apart, myself and my best friend are going to Milan to get two whales tattoos from Pietro Sedda, a great  Italian tattoo artist. should be fun!

I went to Taipei this past weekend with my lovely wife and of course, my TCB. It was my first time in the city (and Taiwan) and I really enjoyed it. Admittedly it is not a beautiful city, but it has its own charm. The pace of life was just that bit slower than Hong Kong and the people were very warm. Food was great too, as I had been told.

Part I:

We arrived late on Friday night and immediately headed to the Daan area in the Eastern district for a bite to eat. Seemed like the evening was just getting started for some and we tucked into skewers at a street stand, all washed down with Asahi beers from the neighbouring 7-11

15819913905_46d6fb1571_z.jpg

Next, we moved into a nearby diner where teenagers and students were drinking litres of bubble tea. We ordered individual hotpot meals - I chose the mellow Japanese broth and my wife had the fiery Sichaun flavour. Good eats!

15200091934_e4580bf446_z.jpg

On Saturday, we were back in the Daan area for brunch and a browse around all the shops. The streets have a very Japanese feel to them - a legacy from the days as a Japanese colony plus the ongoing influence of modern JP youth culture. After the tightly-packed feel of Hong Kong, it was refreshing to be on streets where there is more space for culture to exist more-organically. In HK, it's almost as though the kids have been priced out of more areas.

Outside our brunch spot, VVG Bistro:

15634761177_a6b1152657_z.jpg

VVG also had a shop across the street that had a fantastic range of vintage and repro homeware plus books and publications on architecture, art and pop culture. Really cool shop:

15819955515_c49626033b_z.jpg

Obligatory denim destinations (but nothing purchased):

15203749734_4540e70a26_z.jpg

15819968875_bcf6ee62de_z.jpg

Continued...

^Yes! I love Taiwan/Taipei in general...Went there for vacation while I was living in Japan way back when and it was the first and only time I've ever had culture shock (despite travels through Europe, Asia, North America, etc.)...I think because it was the first time I didn't know the language, but also compared to Japanese culture it was a bit more chaotic (after exiting the airport we were immediately confronted by angry bus drivers yelling at each other/fighting lol). That said, by the time we left, it was one of the sadder moments in my travels as I completely fell in love with it. Looking forward to more pics!

It's funny that you found it more chaotic... I guess it always depends where you're coming from because we were thinking ''wow, it's really mellow here compared to Hong Kong and everyone is so polite!'', haha. If you'd come from Japan, I can see how it would be different. The language we did struggle a bit with - my wife's Mandarin used to be conversational but she no longer uses it for work and it has slipped. As for my linguistic ability... 

Lots of great updates all around. I still haven't had a chance to upload an initial fit pic or any recent pics, but my pair is coming along slow and steady. These don't seem to be very quick faders, and I like that.

On a related note, does anyone have any sizing advice for the TCB Type 2 denim jacket? Based on the measurements I have seen I am not sure whether to grab a 38 or a 40. To avoid cloggin up the contest thread, feel free to PM me with suggestions.

great taiwan update, i have many very fond memories of taiwan mostly when i was driving through. the scenic landscapes through taiwan are very much to marvel. my friends and i often joke about how if you have no money to visit japan, go to taiwan for it is a very nice (perhaps somewhat similar) alternative to japan. the people there are massively friendly as well, from my memories from days of being in the army. we were shown fantastic hospitality, with invitations to take shelter/food from the local's homes, having trekked through the forrested areas for nights on end. certainly worth a revisit!

today myself, my best buddy Paolo, the TCB's and the volvo we all went to Milan to get tattoos.

portait with the drakkar

7C1E6185-F79B-4C49-9F37-F580BDADBF43_zps

Pietro Sedda's studio, amazing vintage forniture

98848411-4680-4F1B-B660-DA8A42E90C57_zps

the whale

whale_zps86a941e4.jpeg

Pietro is a man of disherning taste, his style is a mixture of Japanese denimbro, English country and Italian sartorial.needless to say we spent all the time talking about Japanese denim!