Kings of Slub - jeans made from slubby denim...

Foxy2

since we're on the topic of The Strike Gold.......

slub city!

8291573193_5e3d7e2116_z.jpg

too bad my SG's don't fit anymore, they were starting to look good too. might fill the void soon though.

Just got a pair of Oni's and it made me realize just how dam slubby PBJ's are. I was expecting see the same irregular bumps that PBJ has, but dam, PBJ is still just at a whole new level!

I think PBJ and Strike Gold are as slubby as it gets. You don't see those kinda bumps on any other jeans.

ONI-271xx

For a pair that is one wash. The denim on this pair so slubby.  And the texture is so rough that only denimheads would dare wear.  The  photos on Rakuten do not do them justice.

ufxf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys, 

would like to share my mysterious discovery re. slub denim with you. 

while prowling through secondhand jeans shop in Thai-Cambodia border market, Rong Kleur (many a vintage levi's legends were discovered here back in the day, now also notorious for fakes of all kinds), i stumbled upon this thing. brand new. totally unworn. in my size. for the equivalent of 40 buck (later hack down to 33). 

now i have handled my fair share of slub denim, including having seen most of the denim presented in this thread in person, and even wear some of them at the moment. but this is another thing entirely. 

front

CPO-1.jpg

back

CPO-2.jpg

close up, patch says CPO

CPO-3.jpg

YKK zip, button and rivets, overall hardwares are a bit shit or at best uninspiring, and construction is so-so at best 

CPO-5.jpg

CPO-4.jpg

Redline Selvedge

CPO-6.jpg

but really, what got my attention is the fabric (and the fact that it's brand new, and $33) 

very irregular, slubby and streaky. with most slub denim you kinda see a pattern in the fabric itself. This is a bit more chaotic. The fabric is about 17-18oz.

CPO-7.jpg

close-up

CPO-8.jpg

weft

CPO-9.jpg

comparing to some well known/documented slub/nep denim

vs. PBJ-007 denim

CPO-2-2.jpg

vs. Red Cloud R400

CPO-3-2.jpg

vs. Sugar Cane 40500 Edo Ai fabric 

CPO-1-2.jpg

group shot, with LVC '47 thrown in for reference. Too bad i don't have Oni or Samurai to compare these to.

CPO-4-2.jpg

what do you guys think? am i just being overly excited in the most mundane thing ever, and this is so-so, or are they actually interesting?

oh, they are made in China, which shoudn't be surprising really. However I never heard of CPO, nor denim of this kind before. Google turned up nothing. If there is a group of people who know what these are, then it's you guys!

edit spelling

Edited by DhaDha

This is what Kiya said on this topic (PBJ, Strike Gold)

Production is handled by PBJ's production manager and the first denim that SG used was PBJ's denim but now it's their own denim.  Also, all the new fabrics are developed by the couple that owns SG and PBJ sometimes uses that fabric a year or two later.

This is what Kiya said on this topic (PBJ, Strike Gold)

Thanks for the info.  It makes sense.  I like both brands.  I noticed PBJ had the grey weft left hand twill XX-011's a while back then SG came out with the 3109's.  I thought those were similar.  Again I back both brands and love the unique look of the uneven denim.

ah, yes. for a mere novice i have too many jawns in my rotation, but def will put some wear into these. 

still very interested in finding out more about these. my guess is some independent jeansmakers+experimental fabrics from china. 

by the way, if anyone is in/around thailand and is interested in these+some free time to spare I would highly recommend checking out the Thai-Cambodia border market, Rong Kleur. you'll be amazed with what you could find there (i scored RRL jeans for $6). There was another pair of these in size 30 as well and my guess is they will still be there.