Heavyweight Denim Championships 2013 - 2015 - Official Thread

Megatron1505

Those who went to Woodstock properly can't remember anything :D

It was just a poorly attempt to visualize why the HDWC2 gets less +reps than the other 2 running contests :blush:

(and I agree wholeheartedly with your discover part)

Although I was not in Woodstock I can still remember, when there was some information about this crazy event in the radio. I was turning 10 years old then. (I heard it on radio only, since the first television entered in our little village in 1972)

Roughly twice as many Eastern competitors as Western dude, simple maths.

Plus, I really want to go to Marthas Vineyard  :D

I would really like to join this HWDC meeting next year at SF or wherevever. Can't say it now if I can do this though

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak

Here is a couple pictures for my submission for the great outdoors, last week a buddy and I took a week a traveled Canada's north. We drove over 5,500 over the span of 6 days exploring two of our three our Northern Territories. This being the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory. We also the traveled to Alaska, which is part of the US. The great thing was the sun didn't set until 11:20pm and stayed light for most of the night, you could read a book by the light of the sky at 2:00am!

I know in some of the pictures I am posting you really can't see the fade progression, but to me it's more about the journey you take with the jeans and not what they look like at each step of the way!

9253507004_4fe5dac96e_z_d.jpg

9253519156_b22a8150cf_z_d.jpg

9250731701_dc72c6e5c7_z_d.jpg

Edited by Netleyhunter

Challenge 2: Make you famous

IHxBxHCx25oz with Bill Lumsden (middle), head of distilling and whisky creation at Ardbeg.

One of the best distilleries in the game :ph34r2:

Holy Whisky Spirit Enlightened me => Pic too bright...

jCH7pnl.jpg

Edited by McBain

Alaska and Canada has been on my list to visit for so long. But if I continue my current lifestyle I will never be able to afford vacation there. Still nice to see the pictures.

Man you have to go there. I made several trips to the far north of Canada and Alaska and I can just recommend it to everybody who likes the nature!!!!

Another picture from our trip, this was taken in the province of B.C. and I am standing next to a giant redwood tree. Something that you really need to see in person in order to grasp the size of these trees.

9259185636_aa9b663b43_c_d.jpg

My jeans went up to Park City on Sunday night.  We found a pretty fun looking piano outside, so I had to stop to play it.

1044657_10100350270791375_589559799_n.jp

1013502_10100350270871215_1513718017_n.j

Obviously dressed my best!

^Wow, that's fantastic!  One of the best distilleries, though I can't follow their super expensive limited editions that are not really value for money to me. But I love a dram of Corryvreckan from time to time.

Good celebrity, exactly the kind of celebrity I like.

Thanks guys. He is just a really fun dude who knows a lot about Whisky. Yeah Max the limited Ardbeg editions are really pricey, but I think they are worth it most of the time. Just like the limited stuff from other distilleries. Islay Whisky makes me wanna move to Scotland.

Well, I haven't tried the Galileo or the last one (forgot the name, something with the gaelic word for Peat in it). I feel, like they're pretty good at creating high desire (and high prices) for "normal" quality whiskies (regarding age or cask selection). And as peat is overly hyped right now, many people buy it no matter what price. Since that development, Ardbeg lost a lot of my appreciation. Still, they do wonderful whiskies, but I hate it when too much marketing and trend comes in, especially on products with good quality and history. Same goes for Macallan, that spoiled all their good reputation lately (to me).

I prefer more traditional distilleries like Springbank, Bunnahabhain or Glenfarclas. Careful cask selection, vintages, single casks, good age of the whiskies, not too much peat (unless it's part of their heritage, like Laphroaig), reasonable prices, no fancy marketing. You could say, that's pretty much what I love in japanese denim as well.

Edited by Max Power

Nice reply. Your are absolutly right about most of that. I agree that the fancy marketing and the hype should not be more important that the quality of the product.

But creating desire by throwing parties for free and stuff like that (What Ardbeg did) is pretty cool. If that is that way then I'm in ;-).

Macallan did some not so good stuff, but I tried some of the latest ones and they are getting better again. Same goes for Bowmore.

The latest Ardbeg (Ardbog) was not my favourite ether, but it was still really good. And when it was sold the first day the price was kind of ok. If you want to buy it now on ebay it is just three times.That is nonsense.

Springbank, Bunnahabhain or Glenfarclas have some of the best. But for some reason my favourite is Coal Ila. Especially the Distillers Edition. IMO people who like good Whisky and good denim have a lot in common. Just like you Max.

looks like cander and I had the same idea. I had to stop and play a piano in st. pancras station on my way to France. way out of tune and some keys didn't work, but it was fun. excuse the awful shoes.

996807_10201544983770094_522363589_n.jpg

looks like cander and I had the same idea. I had to stop and play a piano in st. pancras station on my way to France. way out of tune and some keys didn't work, but it was fun. excuse the awful shoes.

Haha, nice.  The pedal didn't work on all notes on the one I found.  Imagine Ukrainian late-Romantic music without pedal!

By the way, nice Kinvara 3s.  Those (in the same colorway) are my most common day-to-day non-specific-workout running shoes!

Oh the glorious elixir of life!  Nothing better than reading about denim and also reading about Scotch.  Lets not forget Lagavulin.  IMO the perfect balance of peat and heather honey.  The distillers edition is nice if you like it a little sweeter with the peat mellowed.  I am blessed that my little town of 90,000 has one of the best selections of single malts going.  We have been visited by Andrew Grey formerly of Bruichladdic and Murray McDavid.  Bruichladdich had a First Growth Cuvee Chateau Margaux 16 yr old that was wonderful.  Tough to find now but worth it if you can.

Lest we forget Highland park.  The 25 year is expensive but again very much worth it. 

I had to curtail my whiskey buying when I started with the denim.  2 kids under 5 also hinders the ability to sit down and enjoy a cigar and a good dram.  Don't get me started on Cigars that pair well with Scotch!!!

I prefer Irish Whiskey and dark Rum, but I appreciate Scotch for what it is, and the skill and time involved. Love cigars, cigarettes, pipes.......just can't bring myself to do it regularly any more.

HC-SF-104
Heavy Weight Denim Championships
Naked And Famous Big Slub
Art Shot 6
900x900px-LL-ab1f35ba_IMG_0179.jpeg

100 Days.

as I walk through the meadow it seems,
I've come across a babbling stream.
Glistening with the day star's beams.

HC-SF-64

IH-8301S

So, not exactly a great denim shot, but I'm about as outside as you can ever be - flying a friends plane in my jawnz! FYI: 21oz + 4500 ft - AC = HOT

Awesome.

My pants will just be in the air tomorrow when flying to Amsterdam at the Modefabriek trade show, where some items from the Jeansmuseum wil be displayed next 14/15 July.

But I'll sit in the plane just as a regular passenger

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak